Unlocking a T-Mobile N1

This is a discussion on Unlocking a T-Mobile N1 within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; I am contemplating buying a Tmo N1, but i'm not on Tmo. So I was wondering if there's a guide to unlock it without rooting ...

Thread: Unlocking a T-Mobile N1

Unlocking a T-Mobile N1

I am contemplating buying a Tmo N1, but i'm not on Tmo. So I was wondering if there's a guide to unlock it without rooting it (all guides i've seen deal with rooting)

I apologize if it's the wrong section, but i couldn't figure out which section this should do in.

Thank you

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

There is currently NO carrier-locked Nexus One. Even the subsidized T-Mobile Nexus One is unlocked. The subisidized T-Mobile phone is the exact same as the T-Mobile compatible Nexus One, and they are both unlocked. The AT&T compatible version is also unlocked.

The only issue with using the T-Mobile one on AT&T for example is the lack of 3G (as T-Mobile and AT&T use different bands).

so basically I can use the Tmo one on ANY carrier.. AWESOME..

I think a lot of people are confused with the versions.

The reason Google named their Nexus Ones T-Mobile-Compatible and AT&T-compatible are because in the US, these are the two major GSM carriers and it's easier for most people to figure out which version they need for optimal performance (mostly 3G compatibility). The phones are NOT restricted to either of those carriers.

If your carrier uses: 3G/UMTS bands (900/AWS/2100 MHz) and GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) then you pick the T-Mobile compatible one.

If your carrier uses: 3G/UMTS bands (850/1900/2100 MHz) and GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) then you pick the AT&T compatible one.

Most international GSM carriers use one or the other and you have to decide based on which bands your carrier uses. Ignore the actual references to AT&T or T-Mobile when making your decision.

If you are in the US, both AT&T and T-Mobile service will work on either phone. Pop in your SIM card and enjoy calls and EDGE (2G) It's just that if you want to use either networks' 3G offerings, then you have to pick the correct version.

The T-Mobile subsidized version is just that. A subsidized version of the T-Mobile compatible phone. You get a contract and pay less up front (but more in the 24-month long run). The phone itself is the EXACT same as the T-Mobile compatible phone mentioned above.

That's it

I'm on Cincinnati Bell, which uses Tmo frequencies..I'm buying a N1 that was subsidized by Tmo and thought they'd lock it.. apparently they don't! hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by c0de View Post
    so basically I can use the Tmo one on ANY carrier.. AWESOME..
    Correct. On any GSM carrier. With the caveat that if you want 3G, you need a carrier that uses 3G/UMTS bands (900/AWS/2100 MHz) and GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900 MHz). You'll be able to make calls and use EGDE (2G) regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by c0de View Post
    I'm on Cincinnati Bell, which uses Tmo frequencies..I'm buying a N1 that was subsidized by Tmo and thought they'd lock it.. apparently they don't! hooray!
    Then you'll be just fine. Pop in your SIM card and enjoy your new :nexusx: !

Dude,
    you are awesome! contacted the seller and should be picking up soon.

Thanks..

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links