Nexus Newbie Question

This is a discussion on Nexus Newbie Question within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey Guys, I just switched to a Nexus one a week ago from a Nokia N97 and so far have been really happy with my ...

Thread: Nexus Newbie Question

Unhappy Nexus Newbie Question

Hey Guys, I just switched to a Nexus one a week ago from a Nokia N97 and so far have been really happy with my phone.

I bought this phone straight from the Google website so here are my questions.

What is the difference between rooted and unrooted N1's. Is my google phone rooted or unrooted since i bought it straight from HQ.

Why does it say i am on the latest build when i know 2.2 was released on AT&T today.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks guys

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by thastig View Post
    Hey Guys, I just switched to a Nexus one a week ago from a Nokia N97 and so far have been really happy with my phone.

I bought this phone straight from the Google website so here are my questions.

What is the difference between rooted and unrooted N1's. Is my google phone rooted or unrooted since i bought it straight from HQ.

Why does it say i am on the latest build when i know 2.2 was released on AT&T today.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks guys
    First off, welcome to the truly wonderful world of Nexus 1 ownership. There is no sarcasm in that statement either.

Now for your questions.

Your phone is NOT rooted if you bought it from google. Rooting (as I understand it) allows you full access to delete or modify everything in the phone. Others can be more specific about the exact nature of rooting.

As for the 2.2 ATT build out right now, I am not sure if this is the TRUE final build. Rest assured that when Froyo is officially rolled out over-the-air, EVERY android site will be screaming from the rooftops.

Edit: OK the froyo build out now is confirmed from google as being official. According to Google, most users should see it by the end of the week so you can either wait or manually update by downloading the file.

Thank you for your quick response
    I am quite tech savvy so will probably end up rooting the N1 sometime in the future but since i just got it, im gonna leave it be till the novelty wears off.

I cant wait for Froyo. I never thought my phone was lacking in any aspect but i wont mind an update to make it even better :P

Are there any MAJOR advantages to rooting? I jailbroke my iphone so i could get apps which were not available normally or get themes and other stuff.

I dont feel constricted with my phone at the moment but maybe it is because i havent seen anything spectacular which can only be achieved by rooting.

Any links to Nexus Epicness on youtube acheived by rooting would do just fine :D

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links