notification on wifi??

This is a discussion on notification on wifi?? within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; My problem is a little different from all the rest I think. I do not loose my wifi connection at all, the only thing that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: notification on wifi??

  1. #1
    Senior Member vinny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    108

    notification on wifi??

    My problem is a little different from all the rest I think. I do not loose my wifi connection at all, the only thing that happens is while the phone is connected to wifi and when the screen goes to sleep I will not receive E-Mail notifications. I will receive text message notifications but will not receive just the E-Mail notifications. When I hit the power button and the screen lights up I will get my E-Mail notifications. I can't be loosing my wifi because I'm still receiving my text message notifications, I think. Any input would be GREATLY apreciated. I love this damn phone and do not want to send it back. I like everything about this device, build quality, looks, size and we will always be first in line for upgrades. Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks again.
    Vinny

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Junior Member Beer Goggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    My problem is a little different from all the rest I think. I do not loose my wifi connection at all, the only thing that happens is while the phone is connected to wifi and when the screen goes to sleep I will not receive E-Mail notifications. I will receive text message notifications but will not receive just the E-Mail notifications. When I hit the power button and the screen lights up I will get my E-Mail notifications. I can't be loosing my wifi because I'm still receiving my text message notifications, I think. Any input would be GREATLY apreciated. I love this damn phone and do not want to send it back. I like everything about this device, build quality, looks, size and we will always be first in line for upgrades. Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks again.
    Vinny
    First, text messages to NOT come over the Internet (Wifi, etc.), they come from your cellular carrier. So they come whenever you're connect to your cellular carrier, regardless of whether you're connected to the Internet via other means (Wifi).

    Second, your email notifications should be able to use any Internet connection, so even if Wifi is down they should come via your 2G/3G connection. You do have a data plan, right?

  4. #3
    Member Zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    40
    Hey I've read about this problem on other forums as well. Basically the phone is connected to wifi but does not send/receive data. This means the phone thinks its on wifi so it does not connect to 3G and therefore you do not receive anything involving data like emails facebook etc. Does anyone know if it is related to newer nexus ones or just all of them? I just did a swap with HTC and I'm testing my old phone with the new phone but so far it seems like the new one is much better i.e. more responsive touchscreen soft touch buttons.

  5. #4
    Senior Member vinny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    My problem is a little different from all the rest I think. I do not loose my wifi connection at all, the only thing that happens is while the phone is connected to wifi and when the screen goes to sleep I will not receive E-Mail notifications. I will receive text message notifications but will not receive just the E-Mail notifications. When I hit the power button and the screen lights up I will get my E-Mail notifications. I can't be loosing my wifi because I'm still receiving my text message notifications, I think. Any input would be GREATLY apreciated. I love this damn phone and do not want to send it back. I like everything about this device, build quality, looks, size and we will always be first in line for upgrades. Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks again.
    Vinny
    First, text messages to NOT come over the Internet (Wifi, etc.), they come from your cellular carrier. So they come whenever you're connect to your cellular carrier, regardless of whether you're connected to the Internet via other means (Wifi).

    Second, your email notifications should be able to use any Internet connection, so even if Wifi is down they should come via your 2G/3G connection. You do have a data plan, right?
    I do receive my text messages while on wifi in sleep mode but not my E-Mail messages. I have two E-Mail accounts, G-Mail and yahoo and both accounts I get no notification while in sleep mode. Once I hit the power button and the screen powers up the notifications come right in. If on 3G in sleep mode there is no issues at all. I have a data plan. This is frustrating as hell. Any input would be very much appreciated, thanks for the help.
    Vinny

  6. #5
    Junior Member Beer Goggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I do receive my text messages while on wifi in sleep mode but not my E-Mail messages.
    I understood that and that's why I explained how it works. Text messages do not use an Internet data connection, they come from your "voice connection" (i.e, your cellular voice channel, not your Wifi/3G/2G data connection).

    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I have two E-Mail accounts, G-Mail and yahoo and both accounts I get no notification while in sleep mode. Once I hit the power button and the screen powers up the notifications come right in. If on 3G in sleep mode there is no issues at all. I have a data plan. This is frustrating as hell. Any input would be very much appreciated, thanks for the help.
    Vinny
    Sounds like what Zach says. Are you using a dock? I set mine to never sleep the Wifi when docked. Some people set their Wifi to never sleep ever (not really a good solution, but it would probably work).

  7. #6
    Senior Member vinny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I do receive my text messages while on wifi in sleep mode but not my E-Mail messages.
    I understood that and that's why I explained how it works. Text messages to not use an Internet data connection, they come from your "voice connection" (i.e, your cellular voice channel, not your Wifi/3G/2G data connection).

    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I have two E-Mail accounts, G-Mail and yahoo and both accounts I get no notification while in sleep mode. Once I hit the power button and the screen powers up the notifications come right in. If on 3G in sleep mode there is no issues at all. I have a data plan. This is frustrating as hell. Any input would be very much appreciated, thanks for the help.
    Vinny
    Sounds like what Zach says. Are you using a dock? I set mine to never sleep the Wifi when docked. Some people set their Wifi to never sleep ever (not really a good solution, but it would probably work).
    Tried that, didn't work. Very weird. No matter if I set the wifi to never sleep, plugged in or when screen is turned off, just my E-Mail notifications will not come thru until the screen lights up. I don't even have to swipe the unlock bar to the right to open the screen, as soon as I hit the power button and the screen lights up the E-Mails notifications will come right in. This is driving me crazy. I have a very strong wifi connection and my 3G connection is also very strong. I keep trying to send E-Mails with different settings but nothing seems to work. I must admit I am not the most tech savy person. Thanks for the help.
    Vinny
    PS I do not have a dock. I'm getting one.

  8. #7
    Junior Member Beer Goggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    I did a little test.

    I don't have Wifi enabled right now. I sent an email from another account to my gmail account. Got the notification within a few seconds while the phone was asleep.

    Often times when their are strange problems, it's an installed application that is getting in the way. I'd double check your installed apps to see if there is one that might be the culprit.

  9. #8
    Senior Member vinny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    I did a little test.

    I don't have Wifi enabled right now. I sent an email from another account to my gmail account. Got the notification within a few seconds while the phone was asleep.

    Often times when their are strange problems, it's an installed application that is getting in the way. I'd double check your installed apps to see if there is one that might be the culprit.
    I have no problems receiving E-Mail notifications while the phone is on 3G and asleep. Just did the same test and they were instantly there, both accounts, yahoo and g-mail.
    Vinny

  10. #9
    Member Xy()niX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    35
    This is a known issue, and revolves around the whole Wifi disconnect problem many users are experiencing. The full thread on the Google support forums is listed here. WiFi constantly drops, won't stay connected when in sleep (option to never sleep IS selected) and won't reconnect - Android Help

    In a nutshell the N1 seems to use a form of IEEE 802.1 power save mode that is incompatible with most routers, or perhaps it's just a bug I'm not sure. Lots of people and developers of programs such as Wifi Fixer have been trying to troubleshoot these Wifi problems. So far there has been very little assistance coming from Google on it.

    In most peoples case the N1 will stop responding to pings, receiving e-mail notifications etc. As soon as you press the lock button on your device or when it goes to sleep. The device will maintain an idle connection, until the router drops it due to inactivity. In your case vinny, it seems your router isn't dropping the connection. But your connection is useless since your router doesn't seem to support the N1's power save mode.

    At least this is my general understanding after following this issue for quite awhile now.

    Google's latest official response on this is that if your router is incompatible with the N1 sleep state, not to set the device wifi to never sleep...

  11. #10
    Senior Member vinny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Xy()niX View Post
    This is a known issue, and revolves around the whole Wifi disconnect problem many users are experiencing. The full thread on the Google support forums is listed here. WiFi constantly drops, won't stay connected when in sleep (option to never sleep IS selected) and won't reconnect - Android Help

    In a nutshell the N1 seems to use a form of IEEE 802.1 power save mode that is incompatible with most routers, or perhaps it's just a bug I'm not sure. Lots of people and developers of programs such as Wifi Fixer have been trying to troubleshoot these Wifi problems. So far there has been very little assistance coming from Google on it.

    In most peoples case the N1 will stop responding to pings, receiving e-mail notifications etc. As soon as you press the lock button on your device or when it goes to sleep. The device will maintain an idle connection, until the router drops it due to inactivity. In your case vinny, it seems your router isn't dropping the connection. But your connection is useless since your router doesn't seem to support the N1's power save mode.

    At least this is my general understanding after following this issue for quite awhile now.

    Google's latest official response on this is that if your router is incompatible with the N1 sleep state, not to set the device wifi to never sleep...
    That is as bad as Steve Jobs with his don't hold it like that answer. My wifi connection doesn't drop at all, I can pick it right up after coming from sleep state and go right to the internet without fooling around with any settings. This was only a two week old model so the newer models are affected. It's obvious Google knows about this issue but still sends them out. That pisses me off. I think the Nexus One is the best looking and built device but these issues are ridiculous. I want this device without problems, sending mine back before too late. Will order another one. I would rather the Nexus One then the other Android devices being made. Thanks for your help. I hope my new one comes thru issue free. One can only hope. Thanks again.
    Vinny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

android no notifications on wifi

,
android notification by new wifi
,
android notification when wifi is connected
,
android notifications don't come in on wifi
,
android wifi no internet notification
,
can't receive notifications on android on wifi
,
i don't receive notification sounds on my android tablet while it's asleep
,
i want wifi connection to show in notifications how do i set this
,
keep getting connected over wifi notification
,
no notification on wifi android
,
only getting notifications when wifi is on, android
,
routers and notification sounds
,
send notification to users connected in the same wifi
,
stop send and receive messages over wifi notification
,
wifi carrier notification android
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Android Forum