new addict

This is a discussion on new addict within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; well folks, i am new to the android side of things. I have had a iphone 3gs for the last year and a half or ...

Thread: new addict

new addict

well folks, i am new to the android side of things. I have had a iphone 3gs for the last year and a half or so, and had become unhappy with it about a year ago. i had planned on getting a droid of some sort, but wanted to wait mainly until a friend of mine had become almost a junkie with the level of droid knowledge so i could pay him back for all the times he had called me for computer help over the years. that, and wanted to make sure that the droid would become as strong as i had thought it would, so i would not have a passing fad. yes, i know that seems harsh, but i had a samsung blackjack that caught fire, so i think you can understand my hesitation.

well, droid definitely took off, much better than i had ever imagined.

being on at&t it seems the droid choices are not as abundant, and i began searching and settled on the nexus one.

within 24 hours of phone in hand, i have fallen in love, and there are only a few minor things that i am not on top of the world about, which i am hoping might just be technical difficulties that i can fix or modify. i am sure i will have several newbie questions along the way (probably a bit better than hey, i just got this, how do i unlock the screen i hope)

its interesting, and my friend warned me i would do this, with my background, i for some reason keep thinking things have to be more difficult than they need to be. an example is i was searching all over for a chat im for google and also one that would do yahoo, aim, etc. did the whole searching thru the marketplace, comparing apps, with my friend watching, and after an hour, he finally broke out in laughter and pointed out that those two apps were already built in. well after turning a bit red and lowering my head i realized what he had meant by thinking too hard on how easy the droid is to use.

i am AMAZED at the seamless integration of the contacts oh the nexus one -i never used itunes, and fighting with syncing google and iphone contacts caused a few headaches. i love the camera! using a few additional off phone apps, i was able to make 18x24 prints from the iphone, i can't wait to see what i can do with this camera, it is so much better (just need to find a way to control power output of flash) the BEST part that i have found so far is the google voice integration. it makes me more happy than a fat kid in a candy store knowing how easy the integration is with this. i use my google voice number as my main number, which was a big reason for the switch, and i still can't get over how it just... works.

my biggest concerns so far on with the nexus one could be non-issues, just not enough knowledge yet.

1. i have parlingo and have also installed im+ and neither want to connect to add accounts or or connect at all i have had wifi both on and off to connect to my wireless internet here at the house

2. if i am on the phone i can not surf the web - was told this may be blocked by at&t i am not sure

3. my understanding is that the nexus one will do both edge and 3G networks, but i have only been able to see it on edge, which i *think is not what is in this area (south centeral indiana)

the network issue could simply be my location, i live out in the sticks, and it may be that i don't have 3G out here. i am hoping that within the next few days i can get into town to see if that may be the problem. (due to a few slight injuries, i am not able to go many places yet)

4. is there a way to switch it from edge to 3G or is that something that is done automatically? i am not real knowledgeable on that part, and since i didn't purchase it thru a local store i really doubt they would want to give much help.

5. searching for a good remote desktop control app, that works on multiple machines and platforms. i run ubuntu on most of my machines, but do have 1 windows machine, and want to be able to be a lazy bum and control the desktop(s) from the phone because i see lots of neat opportunities with it, not just for random fun but will be great when doing presentations and trainings.

6. i am wanting by next summer be able to find a way to monitor my bbq pit and make it as automated as possible, preferably thru open source ways. my wish - monitor smoker temps, beer temps, control the music, and a few other things, all from my phone (that one probably fall under the down the road a bit)

7. i am considering putting the sense ui on it, i was told there was a way to do it and get root without breaking warranty, but honestly, with purchasing it thru 3rd party, i have no warranty anyway. i seem to like the options on the sense ui a bit better, but being the FNG to droid, i am not sure if that is a bad thing to switch around things like that. i do like the ui that is on the nexus one, don't misunderstand that, it is much better than the way the iphone operates, but i seem to like the different options that the other ui offers a bit better, seems more suited for the way i do things.

8. trying to decide on a good case. i had an otterbox with the iphone, it worked great by itself, but was horrible when connected to the belt clip - it kept falling off, which caused a few... problems, but it did protect the phone.

additional random things i am looking into, just have not found great solutions for yet: a better photo album option (possibly one that has albums that can be hidden) good photo editing programs, and good firefighting and ems programs. i have started playing around with several apps for some of these but not spent a lot of time on them yet.

well, that is my basic welcome and ramblings with having a droid for about a day now, and completely in love, never to look back onto the half eaten fruit option. i am not sure where to post these questions that i have, and they could easily have been answered in different parts, if so i truly apologize. i just found this forum, and it seems to be a great forum, just haven't spent a lot of time sorting thru all of it yet, which looks like it could take a while.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well first of all I would like to welcome you to the forum and congratulate you on your amassing first post it just wow (mine was like 5 lines and basically said hey Iím new to the forum)

Now to get to your problems

1. I don't have parlingo so I can`t give you much help sorry.

2. this is not from at&t it is an android thing but it will only do it if you are on 2g or edge 3g is fine

3. Well this could be your aria but I think it is a little bit more of a problem then that itís that there are two versions of the nexus one, one works on t-mo at 3g speeds the other at&t you hay have the t-mo one.

4. there is an option to force 3g but like I stated on #3 you may have a t-mo version.

5. I don`t know an app for this except gmote witch is not really what you are looking for (or at least I don`t thinks so) it will let you use your phone as a track pad and keyboard.

6. That would be awesome. Although I don`t know if all of it is possible unless you make the apps yourself and the Bluetooth accessorise to go with it. But the music is doable with gmote although you will need a laptop hooked up to the speakers (unless they are Bluetooth then you can do it from you phone) and you can control the media on your computer with gmote. This is not with the track pad and keyboard there is another part of gmote that let you do this.

7. Ya what you need to do this differently depending on the android version so I need that first and after you can find multiple ROMs some of them are sense ui based and others are there on thing so check out this list (you need to root before you can try any of these) http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...roms-list.html

8. Well cases are more a mater of tast then anything else but here is a list of some cases people like http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...e-reviews.html

Well as for posting your questions in separate threads usually we encourage it but when it is you welcome post you can post everything you want it and it usually gets answered.
    One last thing I would like to add is that most people don`t call them droids cause Motorola actually made a phone called the droid we call them androids. But don`t gets me wrong droid is fine just itís more correct to say android don`t worry about it though.

doh! i will definitely correct my terminology, and refer to the term android - i know all too well that using the wrong terminology can easily lead to mix ups when trying to get help, and a 2 minute fix can take over 2 hours because of simple mistakes like that.
    3. i was understanding from the seller that it would to the 3g on at&t and it was not the t-mo version - i had looked at a few others and they had told me that theirs were t-mo, and would not work - but, it still works overall, so quite happy

4. i might have to dig to find the option to force the 3g - will see what happens when i can get into town - thank ya - will start searching for that option.

5. the gmote app looks like it will work for now so i don't have to try to move about so much to change videos i am watching on the laptop (need to be lazy and not move about the next few weeks till i heal up a bit) and will give me time to search for other apps that might have more possibilities

6. i have not really done much programming, is that something that is hard to learn? i thought about looking into trying it with the iphone, but didn't like all the forced limits they put on. i haven't done any programming since the old palm days, which has been a day or three ago if ya get bored, check out rehab6.com to see what kind of monstrosity the smoker is (this is not an add - i know some boards try to spam this way, so i wanted to make it clear it is not my intention here

7. i just started skimming the ROM's list - wow, i had no idea there were so many options - this will be all kinds of fun!

8. the link to the case reviews is going to be great - i am considering buying {THIS from ebay} mainly for the mount, car charger, and extra power cord, and basic case to get my by until i find a good case option.

thanks for your response, i think i'm gonna really enjoy this board, i definitely am enjoing the nexus one so far

4. Well since you say you have the at&t version then here is how to force 3G the title says t-mo but I am pretty sure it will work on at&t http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...more-edge.html

6. Well I personally have never done any programming but I plan to someday but I don`t think it is very hard. And as for spamming the board it is not excepted here but what you said is not considered spamming here so you don`t have to worry about it, as long as you don`t start posting a bunch of ads you should be fine.

8. that is a pretty good deal for 20$ little tip if you want that case is small enough to fit in the sleeve that was included with the phone.

4. great! when i will get into town i will check to make sure its just not location - thanks for the link

6. cool - i am wanting to get into it, i think there are some neat opportunities with programming.

8. i figure the case and sleeves are probably pretty cheap, and won't last long, but will get me thru until i can find a good option. being a large knuckle dragging Neanderthal that has a habit of breaking and dropping things, i better get something in fast.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links