Soon To Be N1 Neophyte

This is a discussion on Soon To Be N1 Neophyte within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; I've had lots of smartphones...but in the last few years, I've jumped back and forth between every incarnation of both the iPhone and every model ...

Thread: Soon To Be N1 Neophyte

Soon To Be N1 Neophyte

I've had lots of smartphones...but in the last few years, I've jumped back and forth between every incarnation of both the iPhone and every model of BlackBerry. In doing so, I have become bored with the iPhone and the wonderful-but-redundant iOS and all too familiar with the prehistoric-but-effective BlackBerry OS.

So...yesterday I was able to trade my beloved iPhone 4 for a like-new Nexus One, and I should have it next week.

Can some here prepare me for the adjustment? I have never used an Android phone...as I always assumed you had to be a super techie to be comfy with one...and I am far from that. At any rate...what will I like better? What should I set up first?

I'll be hanging around here a lot, no doubt just trying to get my "sea legs".

Thanks in advance for your patience and help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well you do not have to be a super techie to be comfortable with one. The first thing you should do (if you do not have one) is set up a Google account for Gmail and such. THe only thing you really have to do is the first thing your Android phone tells you to do, is set up your Google account with the phone. I recommend you wait for Gingerbread release before even trying to root, since it will be good.
    -Here are some stuff you might need getting used to=
    *Real Multitasking
    *A slightly bad multi-touch screen, but it gets the job right
    *The layout of the phone being rather sloppier than the iPhone, but VERY easy to get used to.
    *Having only 500MB of available space to download apps, so if you are the type that downloads tons of apps be aware of that.
    *Lastly the FLASH IN THE WEB BROWSER YAY
    If you have any questions I can try to answer them too.

Well I already have a Gmail account, so I guess that's a plus. Will my Gmail email be pushed to my N1 a la BlackBerry now instead of having a 15-minute "fetch" like the iPhone?

-How is battery life compared to iPhone?
    -How is the earpiece speaker volume? I have some hearing proems and the iPhone was barely passable.
    -How is the build quality? The iPhone has been the standard IMO.
    -How will I get Gingerbread?

Thanks, I appreciate the cando

Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Well I already have a Gmail account, so I guess that's a plus. Will my Gmail email be pushed to my N1 a la BlackBerry now instead of having a 15-minute "fetch" like the iPhone?

-How is battery life compared to iPhone?
    -How is the earpiece speaker volume? I have some hearing proems and the iPhone was barely passable.
    -How is the build quality? The iPhone has been the standard IMO.
    -How will I get Gingerbread?

Thanks, I appreciate the cando
    Yes it will be pushed almost instantly with something called sync, which you can turn off.

-The battery can be either terrible or very good depending on the way you use your phone, which can be said about any smart phone. But overall the battery life should be almost identical to the iPhone.

-I have never actually used my ear piece from the headphones that came with it, but the phones speaker is pretty good, I can test the ear piece speaker for you though if you would like or maybe someone could catch this thread and answer it faster.

-The Nexus One has phenomenal build quality which is better than any iPhone I have ever held.

-There will be an OTA (Over The Air) update by google to us Nexus One users in coming weeks. OTA means you wont need to connect your phone to the computer and will receive the update by the airwaves.
    Hope I helped!

I will feel free to catch the thread and tell you that the audio quality of the earphones are not the best I have ever had but they are not that bad either but when you add the fact that you can use the little controls on the earphones to control media and answer the phone (something I am sure your used to because of the iphone) but these are better placed IMO because they are where the two earphone wires combine. The other thing I like is the mic on the back of the controls.

I think maybe my question about earpiece volume was misunderstood. I was wondering how loud/clear the earpiece speaker volume of the handset was on incoming calls.

I have some hearing loss in my "phone ear" (right one) and require a pretty loud phone to hear comfortably. The BlackBerry is great, and the iPhone 4 is adequate in that area.

Could someone (knowing how subjective volume is) tell me how the Nexus One compares?

Oh ok well in that case it's plenty loud IMO, personaly I don't like having it on the max volume because it's to loud so I think that answers your question.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links