New Member needs a place to start!

This is a discussion on New Member needs a place to start! within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi dear N1 users I recently bought a nexus one for my birthday.I must say I'm pretty impressed with this phone but I have some ...

Thread: New Member needs a place to start!

New Member needs a place to start!

Hi dear N1 users

I recently bought a nexus one for my birthday.I must say I'm pretty impressed with this phone but I have some questions as I am a newbie to this.I don't know about hacking or flashing BUT I can follow instructions so I'm not that much of a noob.

1)What is this Froyo/Cyrogenmod/Flash thingies?I am a PSP user with custom firmware stuff.I believe that this FRF thing is kind of like a Firmware version?

2)What is this radio thing that people are talking about?Some custom mod?

3)My phone status:
    Android Version 2.2

Baseband Version
    32.19.00.16U_4.02.02.14

Kernel Version
    2.6.32.16-The Official

Build Number
    FRF91

What does all this stuff mean?Can I flash or downgrade or do whatever to get some good mods?

4)Do I need custom stuff to enjoy my N1?I am not a phone go guy,I like browsing on internet,use casual phone stuff and use the media thingies.

5)And finally for some reason the camcorder doesn't work on my N1.When I switch to phototaking or try to shoot a video phone freezes and reboots.This is probably the most annoying thing I encountered.And If this was ok I wouldn't mind about cracking and modding and hacking stuff

7)Btw is there any fm radio application for N1?

These are my questions please help me as I think after I get a hang of this stuff I can pass this stuff to new members.

Thanks in advance

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well, android version 2.2 is otherwise called froyo. Its just the name of the version. 2.1 was called eclair, and 2.3 is called gingerbread.

Frf 91 is a build number of froyo, its like a firmware version of the build. I think froyo started out at frf50 or something.

Cyanogen mod is a modification to these version builds done by a developer named cyanogen. He adds a lot of extra features, bringing out the best of what the phone can do. But to in order to use his build versions (or roms as they are called), you need to ' root' the phone, which gives you root access to be able to access the system partition etc and put new roms on it. There are numerous threads on this forum that will help you do that.

When you install a new rom to your phone, it's called flashing a rom.

as for the problem you have with the camcorder, perhaps you could try a factory reset. Maybe others have encountered this problem and can help better.

Hi dude and welcome to the rat race

1)What is this Froyo/Cyrogenmod/Flash thingies?I am a PSP user with custom firmware stuff.I believe that this FRF thing is kind of like a Firmware version?

What you are seeing are the custom Roms available when you have Rooted your phone, rooting is granting Admin rights to the user and gaining access to the Root Directory

2)What is this radio thing that people are talking about?Some custom mod?

The radio is the software associated with the Antenna in the phone, again once rooted you can install custom Radios that sometimes increase performance

3)My phone status:
    Android Version 2.2

Baseband Version
    32.19.00.16U_4.02.02.14

Kernel Version
    2.6.32.16-The Official

Build Number
    FRF91

What does all this stuff mean?Can I flash or downgrade or do whatever to get some good mods?
    This is all your phones identity and shows your current build, kernals and radios in place

4)Do I need custom stuff to enjoy my N1?I am not a phone go guy,I like browsing on internet,use casual phone stuff and use the media thingies.
    Not at all i know plenty of stock users that get everything out of the N1 and love it, although i personally think the way forward is rooting and flashing a custom ROM

5)And finally for some reason the camcorder doesn't work on my N1.When I switch to phototaking or try to shoot a video phone freezes and reboots.This is probably the most annoying thing I encountered.And If this was ok I wouldn't mind about cracking and modding and hacking stuff

this to me sounds like a software fault, did you buy your phone new? is could be a case of the person you bought it from has rooted and installed a new rom and that is causing the problems

7)Btw is there any fm radio application for N1?

For the stock native phone there is not to my knowledge however a few custom roms do add this

If you need anything else feel free to email me or any other users we are pretty good at getting people up and running.

**EDIT** Sorry Floogle i didn't see that you had posted
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post

this to me sounds like a software fault, did you buy your phone new? is could be a case of the person you bought it from has rooted and installed a new rom and that is causing the problems
    As for the phone freezing on the Camera app, I noticed mine improved when I switched my MicroSD card from the stock one with Class 2 to a Class 6. Don't know if it's related however...

It may as well just be the loading of the application with some background activity slowing the phone down. Further investigation on the forums might answer this question.

So how do I find out if my phone is rooted?I think that's how I should start.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    First off if you got it brand new it's not the other things you can do is check in the app drawer and see if there is a "super user" app most all rooted phones have this because when you root it goes in automatically. The last thing is download an app from the market that requires root access like a screen shot app and see if it works if it doesn't you’re not rooted.

If you want to root it's not hard if you can follow instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Dude is right, if it's brand new, it's not rooted.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links