google nexus one/Android evaluation

This is a discussion on google nexus one/Android evaluation within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; I just ordered a new unlocked nexus one. The price was incredibly low for a handheld this powerful. It will be evaluated as an Android ...

Thread: google nexus one/Android evaluation

google nexus one/Android evaluation

I just ordered a new unlocked nexus one. The price was incredibly low for a handheld this powerful. It will be evaluated as an Android reference device for use as a stand alone in remote locations.
    This device will not be evaluated as a phone. Phones will not be useful where these things are going. They must be useful for people who are not computer savvy. They must be able to deliver educational and reference material to places where there is no internet.
    Thanks for the forum,
    Harvey

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Ok stupid question how do you want this thing to do all of this. It's nice that they will be tested for use in a remote location but if the phone has no wi-fi and no phone service then how do you want it to retrieve data so they can give that educational and referential material.

The only thing I can think of that a nexus one could teach someone with no internet would be to sharpen their computing skills by trying to root it but since they are going to be used by people who are not computer savvy how do you want it to do that.

This is like asking asking a random guy to explain rocket science to a class of people, if he doesn't know it himself how is he supposed to teach it.

All of the info will have to be loaded onto the device itself. Mem cards, etc.
    I can load lots of info on my 64gb Touch. Having removable storage makes Androids more appealing for my purposes.
    Any suggestions on teaching apps that run native code would be appreciated. The intent is to be internet independent. Everything on the device.
    No Telcos anywhere. Internet useful, not necessary.
    Harvey

Ok that explains it but I just don't get why you would want to do this I mean the internet is the worlds most vast source of knowledge, a useful tool and people can use it as they need it because it belongs to no one and everyone (who pays for it) has access to it so why would you want to take it away from yourself and on top of it the internet is growing more and more useful everyday because of the cloud.

For your question, teaching apps no but if you have it all in text files then all you need is an app that can read those formats.

The intent is to have the nexus one(or any handset) be the classroom itself. All of the lesson plans, teachers aids, flash cards, reference texts, video instruction, etc, will have to be contained on mem cards. There will be no internet in the villages these things are going to.
    Seeing a nexus one as a single purpose teacher's aid may be hard to do because they are so powerful and versatile. Nevertheless. They are incredible little computers. No reason not to try and make a stand alone electronic classroom out of one.
    A long time ago, I used HyperCard to make a dedicated elementary classroom out of a Mac. When the Mac was turned on it booted into the HyperCard classroom. It worked reasonably well. I never pushed it or expanded it. Macs were too expensive to make into simple instructional machines. What I paid for this nexus one is one tenth what I paid for that Mac.
    This is just an experiment. See if I can make an inexpensive virtual classroom from available technology/materials.
    Don't see why not. The price is getting right.
    Harvey

Unless you got a phenomenal deal on the Nexus, I have to wonder if some of the newer Android tablets wouldn't serve you better? Most can accept the same 32Gb MicroSD cards, and the bigger screen has to be an asset for your purposes. With the Galaxy Tab wifi version going for $350, the 7" screen could be a major benefit. Just my thoughts...

I almost ordered one. Am going to start with the nexus one because it is a Google reference device. Pretty soon there will be reference tablets that are low enough in price. It's tempting to get a discounted 7" Tab. Tablets are the next logical step. Using the nexus one means less problems with software compatibility.
    Even though the intent is to have "stand alone" classrooms, when there is an internet connection, they will be almost totally in Google's cloud.A Google Account is a seamless way to bring people who are IT neophytes into the internet age. One log-on, so many choices. Google is doing a terrific job of bringing the cost of technology down and into the hands of common folk. That's what we're trying to do. Extend computer teaching/learning as far into the field as possible.
    Thanks for the interest,
    Harvey

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links