HI! New to Nexus, and this forum

This is a discussion on HI! New to Nexus, and this forum within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hello! I am Diane, new to Nexus and this forum, but not new to forums, or smart phones. I currently have and LOVE my PalmPRE, ...

Thread: HI! New to Nexus, and this forum

HI! New to Nexus, and this forum

Hello!

I am Diane, new to Nexus and this forum, but not new to forums, or smart phones.

I currently have and LOVE my PalmPRE, its modded, and overclocked, and customised to the hilt, and I am sorta holding out for HP to either push out some new hardware, OR licence WebOS to other devices.. but I have to admit I do have a wee bit of Phone envy this week as both my husband and son JUST got Nexus S's

Since I am the resident network/puter/phone anything technical guru of the house, I wanted to edu-ma-kate myself on some of the ins and outs of this phone.

My wonderul husband , at times is a lil tech challenged and I try to be there to help him get over some of the bumps on a new device.

I found this fourm, on a google search on how to save his texted pics to the gallery and found a quick clear answer, so thought this would be a good place to join to learn/ask etc.

My son, who is not new to Android, is good for finding apps and stuff, but he is also not very technical. I tried to get the SDK and the Java JDK connected to his Nexus to try to enable a screen capture, but had some issues. Mostly finding the drivers that dont seem to be included in the SDK.

But I'll save that for another time and another post.

Just wanted to join up, and say HI to a new community.

Maybe some day I'll have to take the 'Droid plunge myself,, (tho i really LOVE WebOS)

Thanks for listening, and hope to get to know the local "smart dudes" here!

Diane

PS: I'll update my signature tomorow, but the avatar pic is ME, a little foreshadowing of my LOVE of PHONES.. even wayyy back in 1952, when litte 2 year old ME, had that glint in my eye, when I was on a PHONE! HEEHE

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Welcome aboard, diane! Always glad to help around here...heck, maybe we can turn ya to the 'bot side I've never used WebOS, but it's hard to believe it's MORE customizable than Android is....you'll see :D

And, not to make too big a deal of it, but I'm damn relieved to have someone around here that's older than ME! WELCOME!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome, Wera689, and haha no worries, on the age, Im ALWAYS the oldest "geek" on any forums Im on. So Im quite used to it.

As for the customizeing on WebOs, youd be AMAZED at what can be done. Especially if you have enough linux knowledge to be "dangerous" Im not sure how deep you can delve into Android, can you get right down to an OS shell? IS it linux based? See what a newb I am with "droid?

So since you seem so nice and helpful, what or were can you steer me to get that SDK/JDK/Driver thing worked out so I can make my son happy and get him "screen capture" Also hard to believe someone sooo native on iOS and WebOS , stock, is something you have to "root" or at least get to thru Dev Mode to access.

This is the guide I used to attempt it:

How To Take Screenshots On The Google Nexus S

But after extracting the folder with the SDK and installing the JDK, I went to the step to update the driver, and the folder " USB_Driver" just did not exist. At that point I had to do other stuff, and he had to leave for work.

So any where you can direct me, to either do this, or find some way to get screen shots, Id be instantly appreciative

Thanks again for the warm welcome.. you young whippersnapper hahahh (I dont even know how old you are, just that Im OLDER, I always older on these forums.. )

Hi Diane!

The USB drivers for the SDK need to be installed as an add on.
    Here's a quick summary of how to add them.
    1 - Open the sdk folder on your PC, and run the SDK Manager exe
    2 - When the SDK Manager opens, you should have a few options down the left hand side - select "Installed Packages", then hit the "Update All..." button at the bottom.
    3 - In the new window that opens, you will again see many options in the left hand panel - scroll to the bottom, and there you will see the USB drivers available...

Android is indeed Linux based, and so you should have fun with it.
    In order to really tweak it, you need root access, but on the Nexus devices that can be had by simply unlocking the bootloader and installing the su and busybox utils. From that point on, you own the system... There are other options, also, which is nice because a lot of people don't like to unlock the bootloader (potentially invalidates the warranty, and it cannot be re-locked).

BTW - Once rooted, you can use one of many apps to take a screenshot directly from the phone...

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post

BTW - Once rooted, you can use one of many apps to take a screenshot directly from the phone...
    OH ya that was one of the questions I had. With the guide I was trying to folllow, was that ONLY to allow captures when the device is USB connected to a computer? Thats sure NOT what I want..

I'll have to take a look at your info, when he is back from work... (Im lucky, I work from home and can sit and play online all day, if Im not motivated to do actual work )

Thanks for your help...

I would say you want to root, because the SDK route will only let you take screenshots with a PC and USB cable...

Technically, you can take screenshots without root access, but I've yet to find an app that works for the N1 - you may have more luck with the NS though, so you could start by searching the Market (if you don't have the phone handy, the Market is also available online at market.android.com )

Thanks Danger-Rat,

I'll take that under advisement. The problem is its my sons phone and he is rarely around, so I wont really even get much time to muck with it.

Also, I just shake my head, that something sooo basic, like screen capture, is not native on this so called advanced device. On my Pre, even when it was stock, it was 2 simple key strokes, and it saved the screen in a special folder, called screen captures, in your pic gallery.. just odd that Android did not just include this.. but Oh well..

Thanks again for the info../

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links