Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread.

This is a discussion on Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread. within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; If you don't like the built-in media player, there's dozens of replacements out there to try! That's the beauty of Android in a nutshell! Here's ...

Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread.

If you don't like the built-in media player, there's dozens of replacements out there to try! That's the beauty of Android in a nutshell! Here's a link to my Atrix forum discussing that very topic: Your Favorite Android Music Player

Same is true with keyboards...aside from the stock one, I'm a big fan of Swype and SwiftKey, both of which make the 'virtual' keyboard easier to use for me. And there's a bunch of others out there too.

Jump in, try everything, and have a ball!

Great info, thanks WERA!

-Andy

You're welcome, Andy. An educated member/user is a happy member/user.

Hi My name is Greg. My current phone service is Verizon. My daughter-in-law, who used to work for Google, just gave me her Nexus One phone as a gift (she no longer works for Google and just got an IPhone). My interest, and question, is this -- is there some way to transfer my current Verizon cellphone service to the Nexus? I know that Verizon decided not to support the Nexus in favor of the Incredible (I think I've got that right). I don't want to buy another phone, especially since this one seems great. And I don't know anything about "hacking" phones or even how a provider service and a phone "hook up" together. Anybody out there who can help? I really like the phone (using it now with wifi) and am wondering if it can be my phone as well.
    Thanks, Greg La Gana

Hi, Greg. Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, what you propose is simply not possible. AT&T uses a totally different technology than Verizon does; and the radios are 100% incompatible. If you're making the choice based on service provider, the Nexus One--while an outstanding phone in its' own right--is the wrong choice for Verizon.

hey my name is karan from india...i have been using nokia 6630 from past 5 and half years and now took nexus s ....nexus s ...worth it...

Nexus One & Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Hi, Greg. Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, what you propose is simply not possible. AT&T uses a totally different technology than Verizon does; and the radios are 100% incompatible. If you're making the choice based on service provider, the Nexus One--while an outstanding phone in its' own right--is the wrong choice for Verizon.
    Thank you for your reply. I guess I kind of knew that that was the answer, given some of the other stuff I've read about the history of relationship (or lack of one) between Verizon & Google. Also, as I mentioned, the Nexus was a gift, so I didn't make a choice -- I was "chosen", so to speak I don't understand your reference to AT&T (I guess that's because I'm totally new to all of this) or to the business about the radios. I thought that the Nexus One was essentially an "unlocked" phone -- meaning it wasn't tied to any particular provider - just needed the right SIM card -- and also that the Droid Incredible was basically a Nexus One with some newer features -- which is supported by Verizon, so I thought there might be a way to make the Nexus look like an Incredible (my naivete, I guess).

Again, thanks for the response. I'll continue using the Nexus One with wifi -- meets most of my needs.

Greg

You hit on the issue when you mentioned SIM cards...Verizon's technology doesn't use them. The radios I refer to are the devices that broadcast and receive the 3G frequencies to the towers and back. Those frequencies are different between GSM and CDMA--the two competing technologies in use by the two providers. The best analogy I can think of is trying to receive AM radio on an FM only device.

And you're right...the N1 on WiFi is an outstanding solution, particularly if you can use skype or some other VOIP solution for calls.

hello - i'm darla - i wanted nexus 1, but got nexus s
    hubby says i spend too much time with my devices, but i can't help myself
    addicted to android!

Welcome!
    This is a very friendly and helpful site, and most of us spend too much time with our devices also... xD

Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links