Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread.

This is a discussion on Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread. within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi and thanks for the welcome. I love my Nexus S, and my Vegan Tablet! (Viewsonic GTab rooted with Vegan experimental ROM) I am very ...

Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread.

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I love my Nexus S, and my Vegan Tablet! (Viewsonic GTab rooted with Vegan experimental ROM) I am very interested in rooting my Nexus S, but I am quite dependent on it for work and personal use and don't want to brick it. I also am an 'app hog'. I had at last count 173 apps on my Nexus S and am reluctant to root due to having to reinstall all of them. Any suggestions? I have read it is a fairly simple process, but can it be done without losing all my apps? Also, do you have an opinion on which (if any) custom ROM to install after rooting? or just keep stock? I have Android 2.3.2 currently and have d/l zip file of 2.3.3, but not found information on exactly how to install.
    Sorry to slam you with so many questions so soon, but I'm hungry!
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by keygoddess View Post
    hello - i'm darla - i wanted nexus 1, but got nexus s
    hubby says i spend too much time with my devices, but i can't help myself
    addicted to android!
    Welcome Darla..
    And why did you want nexus1 and why you got nexus s? Please elaborate!

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I wanted the Nexus one when it first came out. (I like HTC) but it was expensive and I had a G1 and was not eligible for upgrade. When Nexus S arrived, I was eligible and got it from Best Buy. Had to extend my contract for another 2 years with Tmo, but got the phone for $200. I absolutely LOVE it. I am actually happy I waited. The S is much sexier than the One, IMO. btw, thanks for the welcome.

Darla,
    As far as rooting goes, today may just be your lucky day. Until today, rooting 2.3 had required reverting your phone to an earlier version of android, which also wipes your phone. Today, all that changes...

GingerBreak has been released, which is an exploit for 2.3, which means you can root without losing data! xD

I run with the Nexus 1, and I'm just about to test the exploit and put together a guide. Someone will probably be doing the same for the Nexus S very soon...

@danger rat rocks!

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

You ARE awesome!!!! Thanks bundles. While I have your attention, is there an app for this forum? I have one for XDA, Android Tablet forum, and Droidforums. I haven't done any posting in any of them yet. XDA forum is a bit more technical than I am at this point, but I learned a great deal from them. But the only threads I follow are developers only, and they won't let me post. I would like to become a developer, but I may be too old. They talk about a lot of things that are foreign to me and I don't want to look like an id10t.

Lolz - btw I didn't have anything to do with writing the exploit. I just play with it, and make sure I can use it... xD

For an app, you can use the generic Tapatalk, which is essentially the same as xda, android.net, etc. I use it all the time...

and thanks again danger-rat! will try look for it on the market. sh.. i've seen that mentioned lots of places. thought it was just a special keyboard. see, i do sound like an id10t :} i'm going to do some looking around the nexus s threads .... later

Verizon & the Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    You hit on the issue when you mentioned SIM cards...Verizon's technology doesn't use them. The radios I refer to are the devices that broadcast and receive the 3G frequencies to the towers and back. Those frequencies are different between GSM and CDMA--the two competing technologies in use by the two providers. The best analogy I can think of is trying to receive AM radio on an FM only device.

And you're right...the N1 on WiFi is an outstanding solution, particularly if you can use skype or some other VOIP solution for calls.
    Again, thanks for your prompt replies. Most helpful to a newbie!

But now you've got me curious. I understand that there's no way I'm going to get my Nexus to work with Verizon. However, my uinderstanding was that Verizon was originally working with Google and was going to support the Nexus, but that deal fell through and the word on the street was -- "wait for the Incredible, it's the Nexus One but better..." So is all of that true? If so, how was Verizon going to support the Nexus One if their technology doesn't use SIMs and the radios are incompatible. And if the Incredible is essentially a Nexus One with more bells & whistles (is it? I have no idea) but doesn't use SIMs, how is it like a Nexus One?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to inderstand this stuff...and we haven't even gotten to Android and its variants yet

Thanks, Greg

Quote Originally Posted by keygoddess View Post
    Hi and thanks for the welcome. I love my Nexus S, and my Vegan Tablet! (Viewsonic GTab rooted with Vegan experimental ROM) I am very interested in rooting my Nexus S, but I am quite dependent on it for work and personal use and don't want to brick it. I also am an 'app hog'. I had at last count 173 apps on my Nexus S and am reluctant to root due to having to reinstall all of them. Any suggestions? I have read it is a fairly simple process, but can it be done without losing all my apps? Also, do you have an opinion on which (if any) custom ROM to install after rooting? or just keep stock? I have Android 2.3.2 currently and have d/l zip file of 2.3.3, but not found information on exactly how to install.
    Sorry to slam you with so many questions so soon, but I'm hungry!
    Thanks in advance
    OMG!!!

Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links