Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread.

This is a discussion on Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread. within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by greglagana Originally Posted by WERA689 You hit on the issue when you mentioned SIM cards...Verizon's technology doesn't use them. The radios I ...

Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the site! Please post an introduction thread.

Quote Originally Posted by greglagana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    You hit on the issue when you mentioned SIM cards...Verizon's technology doesn't use them. The radios I refer to are the devices that broadcast and receive the 3G frequencies to the towers and back. Those frequencies are different between GSM and CDMA--the two competing technologies in use by the two providers. The best analogy I can think of is trying to receive AM radio on an FM only device.

And you're right...the N1 on WiFi is an outstanding solution, particularly if you can use skype or some other VOIP solution for calls.
    Again, thanks for your prompt replies. Most helpful to a newbie!

But now you've got me curious. I understand that there's no way I'm going to get my Nexus to work with Verizon. However, my uinderstanding was that Verizon was originally working with Google and was going to support the Nexus, but that deal fell through and the word on the street was -- "wait for the Incredible, it's the Nexus One but better..." So is all of that true? If so, how was Verizon going to support the Nexus One if their technology doesn't use SIMs and the radios are incompatible. And if the Incredible is essentially a Nexus One with more bells & whistles (is it? I have no idea) but doesn't use SIMs, how is it like a Nexus One?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to inderstand this stuff...and we haven't even gotten to Android and its variants yet

Thanks, Greg
    Well the incredible is a little like the nexus one but not quite the same and as far as bells and whistles I think they are just talking about sense which is htc custom firmware and has some really awesome features but if you root the nexus one you can get sense so really I would still say that the nexus one is the best all in all. And when we say there similar it is on the features side on the inside they are two different phones and as WERA said above, one has the hardware for CDMA (incredible) and the other for GSM (nexus one) but you can go ahead and get an incredible if you want it's a good phone just I like the nexus one better.

But just out of curiosity are you on a contract or something cause if you want to keep the nexus one then you can always go to another provider.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful in understanding.

The Nexus One was a gift from my daughter-in-law, who used to work for Google. She has an IPhone now & gave me the Nexus -- excellent gift! All of our services -- home & cell phone, internet, FIOS TV -- is with Verizon. We get a break on pricing for bundling it all in their "quad-play" package. Hence my interest in whether Verizon supports the Nexus. However, I'm also aware that the least-used feature on smart-phones in general is the phone (very amusing!), and that basically, they're the latest iteration of pocket computers, with the software as "apps". So basically, using the Nexus One with wi-fi is like having an ITouch -- the IPhone without the phone. Pretty much works for me, but it would be nice to be unattached to hot spots from time to time. I'm aware that I could use another provider, like TMobile, for their 3G support of the Nexus for data transfer (I prefer staying with that quad bundle with Verizon for the rest of it -- just makes things simpler all around).

So, since I'm new to all of this, what is "rooting"? I've seen that referred to a lot. And what exactly does rooting let you do?

Thanks, Greg

Well I don't know if you've heard the term "jailbreaking" for an iphone or hacking your phone because rooting is the equivalent for an android phone. Basically it is to get access to files and such that you would not have normally so it's superuser access which is the name of the app that it adds on to your phone (I can elaborate on that a little more if you want but I'll focus on rooting for now) now you may be wondering what you can do with this well after you have root then you can flash new ROMs which is like changing the operating system of a computer and you can use apps that you would normally not be able to because the permission for it was not given by Google in the stock ROM ex: FM radio after you root you can get FM radio on your phone. Those are the major reasons that most people want to root there are other things you can do like partition your SD card so you can put your apps on it and things like that but that is things that you will learn later. If you really want to learn about root then I would go and check out the development and hacking section of this forum.

New to site

So i've had the Nexus S for about a month or so now and I needed some help adding things to the phone. I love the phone. I need some help in installing new 2.3.3 update though. Can anyone help?

Smile Hi! I am going to start using square for DroidX at a farmer's market in Ohio.

I hope to learn some things from this forum!!...Thanks for sharing!

Welcome aboard just I don't know what you will learn for your droid X cause this forum is really for the nexus one and nexus S but were glad your here anyway

Before cell phones I collected a drawer full of calculators (started that back in the 70s). Then with the advent of cell phones I started collecting a drawer full of them as well (90s). The calculators started turning into "devices" eg PSION, IPAQ. Since I was a little kid poring over comic books in the 50s and 60s I've wanted a "DEVICE" - now the devices were becoming a reality! Could it be possible to get a "device" that would communicate as well?
    SMARTPHONES!!!
    Over the last few years my calculators, devices and cellphones have been gathering dust while I've been collecting SMARTPHONES - my latest is the Nexus S.
    It should be perfectly obvious that I'm a "collector NOT a "phonaholic"... really!
    I can control my habit...

Lol no you can't none of us can but welcome to the dark side its brighter then you think

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome 40ft. As you can see I've already bought another app!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Nice! And the descent begins :D

Welcome aboard, ya Kiwi!

Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links