Bb -> n1 ?

This is a discussion on Bb -> n1 ? within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi, I'm a Blackberry 8120 owner since about 2 months (my first "smart" phone). While it's a decent phone, I figured there must be something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bb -> n1 ?

Bb -> n1 ?

Hi,
    I'm a Blackberry 8120 owner since about 2 months (my first "smart" phone). While it's a decent phone, I figured there must be something better. Looking at the latest BBs (9700), even those not released yet (9100), hmm, well, not quite there yet. Then the Nexus One came along, and I thought, wow, that's promising! While I'm not in the market for a new phone right now, I'm eager to learn everything I can about the N1, and will most likely buy the N2 as soon as it will be released. Glad I found this forum!
    Best regards,
    Klaus

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

We're glad you found us, too! Welcome to the best source of information you could've found for the Nexus, and Android in general. Welcome aboard!

I used a BlackBerry 9700 on T-Mobile and I don't think you can beat it if you're a hard core emailer. The keyboard just runs circles around touch screens in my opinion. The BlackBerry battery life can't be beat either (I was getting around 2 full days on a charge whereas my modern phones like the iPhone/Droid/Nexus One are drained by 4 or 5).

However - where the BlackBerry falls down is just about everywhere else:

- Browser is just awful - and slow
    - OS is really showing it's age (even OS 5) with memory leaks
    - App store integration is pitiful - half the downloads are from the store - the other half you need to scour the web for as they're not in the store

I had a 8900before the N1 and loved it. I'm really going to miss the keyboard though! I got so good with it I could text full SMS with out looking at the screen. But what the N1 lacks in a HK it excells (sp) elsewhere. Like the dolphin browser

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    Well, coming from the not so new Pearl 8120, my choice would be either to invest in a modern BB, like the 9700 or wait for the 9100, or the next Nexus. Most disturbing for me on the BB Pearl is the small screen and the slow processor. I think I'll be better off with the N2, provided they iron out some glitches. I don't do emailing on my phone, except reading them sometimes, almost no texting. So, the keyboard is rather irrelevant to me. I use my phone as a phone/PIM combination, w/o data plan, wifi only, since I work from home. So, the most important things for me are the clarity of phone calls and the ability to sync calendar and tasks with Outlook. On both parts, it seems, Google will have to work a bit. But yeah, I must admit, the N1 is a very cool phone already!

The only thing you will miss is the hardware keyboard and BBM.
    Rooted Nexus One

Uma?

How about UMA calling via wifi, is this possible with the N1? If not, that would be a deal breaker for me. Still high hopes for the N2 ...

There is NO UMA on the Google Nexus One.

if you get swype on the n1 you wont miss your bb keyboard much at all. i can text even faster now

Quote Originally Posted by mas90guru View Post
    There is NO UMA on the Google Nexus One.
    I suspected this. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll give Google the chance to include it with the next version. Otherwise I'll have to take a closer look at the BB 9700. The Nexus One sure is a beautiful toy, but what I need is a tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links