BB 8120>N1 early adapter

This is a discussion on BB 8120>N1 early adapter within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Activated my N1 on Thursday afternoon (20100107) with a T-mo unlimited loyalty plan. (Should have taken a towel to the store with me because it ...

Thread: BB 8120>N1 early adapter

BB 8120>N1 early adapter

Activated my N1 on Thursday afternoon (20100107) with a T-mo unlimited loyalty plan. (Should have taken a towel to the store with me because it was the first one they had actually seen in the flesh and there was a lot of drooling!) Even the BOX is pretty!

Spent the evening getting halfway through the 320 page user manual and learning to use the touchscreen and nav tools, downloaded a few apps and made a few calls.

Here are a few observations (after two days with it):

If I step outside, I do get 3g coverage, but under a cement tile roof with impact glass hurricane windows and block walls, I get 3-4 bars of Edge, which turns out to be a bit frustrating for watching YT on the gorgeous screen... so I stepped outside on a sunny day...

and yes, it does turn into a bit of a make-up mirror in full sun (you'll know if you need botox), but it is still readable and takes great pix and video, and the screen is fine in partial shade. I haven't tried it with my polarized sunglasses yet (but I couldn't see my BB screen at all with them).

Surprisingly, the gmail integration and functionality are NOT as good as they were with the BB. It doesn't seem to forward mail aggregated from non-gmail pop3 accounts that I have sent to my primary gmail account, and if you have several gmail accounts, you have to add them one at a time. It also doesn't seem to have the menu item to highlight/mark-as-read feature for a boring list of new messages, and it also synchs back to your desktop, so if you open a message, it doesn't stay unread back at home. I haven't figured out how to re-tag them as UNread.

In general, the pull-down/pop-up menus seem LESS complete than the BB's are, but the system is "different", and there are lots of Easter eggs, so I'm hoping that there are more option layers yet to discover. So far, there are a few things that you might want to edit that are better/faster/exclusively done through web browser access to your gmail settings (contacts/my maps, etc.).

Speaking of address books and contacts, I had been too lazy to update/fill in contact info using my gmail settings so I was disappointed that the guys at the T-mobile store couldn't figure out how to get all of them from the BB onto the N1... but once I started manually updating my gmail contacts from my desktop browser, they showed up instantly and perfectly done on the phone.

As for sound quality... I use speakerphone almost exclusively, (I have some very talkative friends). At first try, the N1 speakers did sound tinnier than the BB, but I discovered that if I turn the phone around and use the noise canceling speaker and mic on the back of the phone, (or leave it on the desk with the screen down on the case) it sounds MUCH better, and the reception and call quallity are MUCH better than the BB. (One of my talkative friends calls often from his car, using a BT headset, and his calls were always marginal on the BB, but are clear and steady on the N1. The rear speaker has better bass quality, and he sounds much better).

As for overall brightness and loudness of the screens and the notifications, I can actually hear the N1 even if I am away from it, in another part of the house. (I only got three rings on the BB before it went to voice mail)

Now for the gushing praise: I called T-mobile BEFORE I tried to order the phone and confirmed the pricing and availability of my old number. (My BB contact expired several years ago). It took a while for the T-Mo servers to function properly to make the purchase, and I DID take it to the store to let them do the activation and to make 100% certain that I was getting the unlimited loyalty plan. (There is lots of mis-information about that on the N1 forums) The "unboxing" experience was delightful, the phone itself has a wonderful, luxuious "look 'n feel" to it (like a nice bar of rich dark chocolate??) The little neprene slip case is just right, (though I've ordered a rubberized hardshell case for it).

The first time I turned it on, the screen blew me away! The colors and resolution and saturation are "brilliant" and the contrast (and field highlighting) make it extremely readable... (They have NOT forgotten that 50%+ of their market is over 50 years old) You don't have to fumble around to tell the time or temperature in the middle of the night, and the notifications are all instantly accessible from the slide down top status bar (pull it all the way down to lock it open).

Sorry to ramble on for so long... but I'm thrilled with the N1, and am sure that as I learn more about it, (and spend more time with the multi-tasking capabilities and voice rec features) it will become even more of a useful and beautiful companion. [Still need to go back and read the last half of the user-guide!!]

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Welcome and nice first post....

On the gmail, if you check the email then hit menu you get the option to mark it read/unread.

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Welcome and nice first post....

On the gmail, if you check the email then hit menu you get the option to mark it read/unread.
    Thanks!

I was actually looking for a way to replicate the BB's # key functionality to select multiple messages... I've been rummaging further in the N1 userguide, and may have found the "missing" selection tools I couldn't seem to find (partial select/highlight/ctrl+c/v, etc... aparently hidden away neatly inside the track ball?) but I haven't had time to try them yet...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links