The WiFi only user

This is a discussion on The WiFi only user within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; I have purchased an unlocked Nexus One to use it with WiFi only, without phone data service. I have paid $575 including tax and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The WiFi only user

The WiFi only user

I have purchased an unlocked Nexus One to use it with WiFi only, without phone data service. I have paid $575 including tax and I am disappointed that I can not use Nexus One like a netbook computer w/VOIP or as a car GPS without phone service.
    Using Wi-Fi, I have installed GoogleVoice and Skype Lite (Beta) from Nexus One "Market" and it downloaded my "Contacts" list but Google Voice or Skype does not complete calls because it needs a cell phone service... "The application will now dial a local number to connect to Skype" and " Not registered to network".
    Using Wi-Fi, I have installed GoogleMap, MapDroyd and ContentDroyd from Nexus One "Market" using Wi-Fi to download to store sufficient navigable map files for Nexus One turn by turn navigation without either phone or Wi-Fi service. This method did not store sufficient map content to navigate in a state or region independent of internet or phone service using GPS only. Please let me know how to download to my SD micro card sufficient electronic map files to navigate off-line.
    Please let me know if Nexus One can be used as a Wi-Fi device, camera and GPS without phone service.
    Tiborg

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Uhm, if im right there has to be a sim card in the phone to use GPS. Since it uses 3G/2G to locate your position?

And then about skype etc, same thing there. Since you write "using wi-fi i have installed" i guess you mean you won't use wi-fi with skype?

Cause then it's the same thing. You need to use 3g/2g or wi-fi to get a connection to internet etc. 3g/2g costs, so you need a phone data service so you can pay for it.

But you should know it is a phone, not something else. Nearly all features are made to a guy/girl who uses the phone as a phone.

Yes, I want my Nexus One to use googlevoice or skype via wifi and not to call through a cellphone company.
    I also want to use the gps feature without being connected to anything else but the gps sattelites in the sky.
    I have a life and do not like to be called all the time.
    If I need to talk, I go to a wifi hotspot.
    The emergency 911 works on Nexus One even without a phone service provider; I did try it.
    Tiborg

Quote Originally Posted by tiborg View Post
    Yes, I want my Nexus One to use googlevoice or skype via wifi and not to call through a cellphone company.
    I also want to use the gps feature without being connected to anything else but the gps sattelites in the sky.
    The emergency 911 works on Nexus One even without a phone service provider; I did try it.
    Tiborg
    Well, i'm pretty sure you need a sim card for GPS since it uses 3g network.

I figured out how to use free VOIP
    - download "fring" from market
    - look up user manual at
    (http://www.fring.com/default.asp)
    - click "Menu", and "Add-on" for "Skype"
    - use it with WiFi connection
    - make all the calls you would with a netbook or desktop computer
    IT IS FREE NO NEED TO USE ANY PHONE PROVIDER

I
    Please let me know if Nexus One can be used as a Wi-Fi device, camera and GPS without phone service.
    I think you need something like an ipod touch. The Nexus is a smart phone

Just saying like.

Tiborg

Copilot is one of a few that store the maps on your SD. You dont need interent access.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Tiborg

What do you keep talking about a wireless network(3G/2G) required to use GPS? I'm a little confused about that.

GPS uses satellites, not cell phone antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by number 9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Tiborg

What do you keep talking about a wireless network(3G/2G) required to use GPS? I'm a little confused about that.

GPS uses satellites, not cell phone antennas.
    2 Different type of GPS

aGPS uses cell tower triangulation to fix your location...Can be off by 1000-1500 meters

GPS which uses Satellites which will put you with in feet.....

Just sounds like a bit of confusion....

get coPilot for your gps needs. It download maps to your sd card and store it there, so you can use the gps without having data plan.
    google map navigation is little bit different. For you to use google map navigation, you need data plan because the maps are not stored in your phone. It is downloaded as you needed and deleted right after. It will give you the most current traffic information and other stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links