Why split the community?

This is a discussion on Why split the community? within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi, How is this forum different from the Nexus One subforum at androidforums.com? I'm not affiliated with them, just wondering why we should divide the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why split the community?

Angry Why split the community?

Hi,

How is this forum different from the Nexus One subforum at androidforums.com?

I'm not affiliated with them, just wondering why we should divide the Nexus One user community between two forums, why duplicate information, make it twice as hard to search, have to wade through the same FAQs twice etc.

The only answer I can think of is that nexusoneforum is "focused" on Nexus One. However, the same can be said of the androidforums.com/nexus-one/ subforum users. Plus, many topics are really not specific to the Nexus One. The whole "apps" subforum here, http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...on-discussion/, is barely specific to N1. People are willing to pay for GV invites or ask about top 10 apps, which are really top 10 *Android* apps.

So again, why would people stay here and have only 2000 registered (not necessarily active!) members to answer their questions, instead of joining the community where the action is (AF has 59,000 members). Metcalfe's law states that the value of a network is proportional to the square of the number of connected users of the system (n2). So it really doesn't make sens to create another system.

I know I won't convince anyone to join the other forum. I doubt I'll get any convincing answer as to why yet another Android forum was created, but I'm too curious not to ask.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Huh?! There are many Nexus One forums..
    Follow me on Twitter @xPatriick
    Feel free to buy me a beer if I helped you
    This is what I use on my Nexus One (ROM, Kernel, special Apps)

Thumbs up Other forums may do a disservice to the community too

Quote Originally Posted by xPatriicK View Post
    Same question to them.

Variety, preference, politics, who posts here (or there).

This site will be owned and directed by certain people, AF no doubt has their own way. The other sites has theirs. Ppl will be drawn to a site that fits them. This isn't the Borg and assimilation isn't always the best option.

I surf both.........

Quote Originally Posted by tribz View Post
    Variety, preference, politics, who posts here (or there).

This site will be owned and directed by certain people, AF no doubt has their own way. The other sites has theirs. Ppl will be drawn to a site that fits them. This isn't the Borg and assimilation isn't always the best option.

Well put, tribz. There are always many forums for the same topics. I see the same thing in Satellite TV forums. I felt that I fit in better at one than the other, but there are obviously others who feel differently.

@dandv, I hope that you're comfortable here, and get the information you need here. If not, nobody will hold it against you if you're more comfortable at AF. There's room in the world for all of us.

i don't like the layout of androidforums.com im very happy with my nexusoneforum.net, droidforum.net, an androidcentral.com which is great for all things android an upcoming stuff (i don't use their forums just use them for news)

JimMariner
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dandv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xPatriicK View Post
    Same question to them.
    How is it a 'disservice', and whose 'community'? Since when was choice, and multiple options a bad thing?
    Oh Man, The day when we have only forum for one item, with no other place to go, is the day I throw all my computers into the trash. Diversity it the key.

As stated earlier, Some fit in @ certain forums then others do. All forums I have ever belonged to, always have a feel about them. I love an open friendly forum over a techie, boring, speak down to the new people type.

I am happy to have been able to find this forum and DroidForums, so much so, I let them promote me to the staff on each. So I could help the management of keeping the friendly atmosphere they currently enjoy. Who really wants to go on a forum, try to participate, and get bashed for doing so?

Not every one is going to be the tech wizard we would all like to be. All of us have been a newbie at one time in our online lives. I have been fortunate to been on many NICE forums. Where all are treated with respect. So I take my experience from being a member on those, and I use it here as part of the staff.

My personal hope is that helping these forums to stay this way, I do a service to the online community. Making a place where people want to sign up, become members and participate.

Yeah yeah, I know, some of you will say, what else is he going to say, he's a SMod. Well, I'd say the same thing if I were still just a regular member too.

I Hope all of you continue keeping this place friendly and helpful. I know I will do my part, and I also know, that is the goal of the entire staff as well.

So bring on all the forums, and let each one stand or fall on it's own merits.

Just My 2Cents

dandroid
    Welcome to the forum

We created this site as a home for Nexus One owners and enthusiast. There are many forums that cover everything from Android Forums, Smart Phone Forums, Cell Phone Forum, Tech Forums, Computer Forums, and the list could go on forever.

If your looking for information or researching a specific problem/question, sometimes its easier to go to a site that is dedicated to only one product so "information overload" doesn't become an issue.

We have a great community filled with very knowledgeable members. The site is fairly new and will grow over time as the phone increases in popularity.

Thumbs up Let's properly scope the problem

Quote Originally Posted by dandroid View Post
    If your looking for information or researching a specific problem/question, sometimes its easier to go to a site that is dedicated to only one product so "information overload" doesn't become an issue.
    On the other hand, if you have a problem with your Nexus One that's really an Android problem, and you ask in a Nexus One forum, you'll miss on all the answers that you'd get in the Android forum. I see plenty of questions in this forum that are not specific to the Nexus One at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links