Just got my N1 today!

This is a discussion on Just got my N1 today! within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Just got it a few hours ago. I've been tweaking settings and downloading apps. I plan to root it as soon as I get truly ...

Thread: Just got my N1 today!

Just got my N1 today!

Just got it a few hours ago. I've been tweaking settings and downloading apps. I plan to root it as soon as I get truly comfortable with android. Enjoying it so far!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yeah its an awesome phone I've have mine for about a month and I'm still loving it but not really sure about the rooting I guess I really don't know the benefits to doing it can some one let me in on some of the perks to a rooted n1

Question Good point!

What is/are the benefits of rooting?

I heard that it runs better on the cyanogen rom. That's all I've heard people say, anyways.

I've got to say, I like typing on the N1.

Quote Originally Posted by derrickg View Post
    - Pros -
    Phone operates slightly faster
    Opens up additional phone memory
    Will now support various tweaks & hacks

- Cons -
    Rooting will wipe existing apps/contacts etc from phone
    Voids warranty
    Will no longer receive OTA updates from Google
    Can never be reversed

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickg View Post
    - Pros -
    Phone operates slightly faster
    Opens up additional phone memory
    Will now support various tweaks & hacks

- Cons -
    Rooting will wipe existing apps/contacts etc from phone
    Voids warranty
    Will no longer receive OTA updates from Google
    Can never be reversed
    wrong.

as long as you set up a Gmail account, all your contacts will be synced with it. you'll get them back.

when you go into the marketplace after rooting, tap "downloads." everything you have downloaded/purchased will be saved, all you have to do is re-install. once you are rooted, it is recommended to download the donate version of titanium backup (3.00) then, you can save all of your apps/app settings to your SD card so once you flash a different ROM or Nandroid backup, all you have to do is load the backup that titanium backup saved for you.

before you flash a ROM, if you back up your previous settings, you can always revert back to them. in this case, your very first time flashing a different ROM, all you do is backup you old nexus one stock ROM, then it is saved to your SD card. so if you dont like your new ROM, which i highly doubt if you are flashing the Stable version of Cyanogen's ROM, then you can go back to the way it was before.

As for OTA updates, you wont get them from Google, but, most developers will incorporate the new features into future ROMs, some even are released before Google releases them.

Pro's:
    quicker processing
    more free RAM (from 80 MB to 250 MB)
    download, run Apps that require root (ex: N1 flash)
    open for modding (trackball colors, homepage themes, etc.)
    backup/wipe/flash new ROMs within minutes meaning, i can have the Cyanogen ROM as a primary, and still be able to mess around with the HTC Desire ROM (Sense UI, flash support)

con's:
    it does void warranty
    takes a while to getting used to the hacking side of everything (installation of drivers, running SDK, unlocking bootloader, MS DOS)

id say its worth it. ive learned so much in the past week, before i was rooted, i was complete noob, well i still am, but now its not all gibberish to me.
    R.I.P.

Rooted and flashed as of March 11, 2010

CyanogenMod 6.0.0
    - Sold

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links