Nexus One: First Impressions

This is a discussion on Nexus One: First Impressions within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; I got my Nexus One 4 days ago and wanted to give some first impressions / recommendations. This is my first smart phone purchase (though ...

Thread: Nexus One: First Impressions

Nexus One: First Impressions

I got my Nexus One 4 days ago and wanted to give some first impressions / recommendations. This is my first smart phone purchase (though I've used all the other major ones), and I'm glad I waited for this one. It has exceeded my expectations.

1. From the recommendations here, I quickly ordered a Seidio Innocase II (black). I used the N1 for the first 3 days without the case, only using the provided pouch. I love that pouch, its worked great for me. One of the best features of the phone is its design, thinness and overall great appearance so I enjoy using without anything. However, when my Innocase II arrived I was very pleased! I can't imagine ever wanted a different case. Its slim, fits perfectly and securely, and looks great.

2. One of my greatest frustrations is deciding how I want to customize this thing! I've tried all the major Home replacements and have decided that the stock android home is my favorite for speed and stability. My second favorite is Home++, not because its free but because the devs have tried to make it just as stable and fast as the stock Home and it shows. The powerstrip and workplace looping is all I need.

3. Some of my favorite apps so far: Profiles (for quickly changing settings from the status bar), CalWidget (for a large view of multiple calendars on my Home), Mini Info widget, and I admit to using Advanced Task Manager as I'm obsessive about the apps/services running on my device. Handcent SMS instead of the stock Messaging, ConnectBot for sshing, Digital Clock, NewsRoom, and Weather Widgets.

4. I use Google Voice for talk and texting and the integration is excellent. I have it set to ask each time I dial if I want to use GV or not.

5. Initially I had a problem integrating an google domains calendar, but I solved this my sharing that calendar with my personal gmail account. So now I can select the domain account separately in all calendar related apps.

6. I'm disappointed that the Gtalk app does not support AIM accounts like gmail does. I definitely do NOT want to install a separate app just for a few AIM contacts.

7. The contact integration threw me off at first, but then I realized the best method to keep organized was to group and manage all the contacts through google, let them sync to my phone, then use the Display Options to select the ones I wanted displayed. Which is great as I was forced to organized 7 years worth of contacts I had accumulated through gmail.

All in all, an excellent device in every category.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    I got my Nexus One 4 days ago and wanted to give some first impressions / recommendations. This is my first smart phone purchase (though I've used all the other major ones), and I'm glad I waited for this one. It has exceeded my expectations.

1. From the recommendations here, I quickly ordered a Seidio Innocase II (black). I used the N1 for the first 3 days without the case, only using the provided pouch. I love that pouch, its worked great for me. One of the best features of the phone is its design, thinness and overall great appearance so I enjoy using without anything. However, when my Innocase II arrived I was very pleased! I can't imagine ever wanted a different case. Its slim, fits perfectly and securely, and looks great.

2. One of my greatest frustrations is deciding how I want to customize this thing! I've tried all the major Home replacements and have decided that the stock android home is my favorite for speed and stability. My second favorite is Home++, not because its free but because the devs have tried to make it just as stable and fast as the stock Home and it shows. The powerstrip and workplace looping is all I need.

3. Some of my favorite apps so far: Profiles (for quickly changing settings from the status bar), CalWidget (for a large view of multiple calendars on my Home), Mini Info widget, and I admit to using Advanced Task Manager as I'm obsessive about the apps/services running on my device. Handcent SMS instead of the stock Messaging, ConnectBot for sshing, Digital Clock, NewsRoom, and Weather Widgets.

4. I use Google Voice for talk and texting and the integration is excellent. I have it set to ask each time I dial if I want to use GV or not.

5. Initially I had a problem integrating an google domains calendar, but I solved this my sharing that calendar with my personal gmail account. So now I can select the domain account separately in all calendar related apps.

6. I'm disappointed that the Gtalk app does not support AIM accounts like gmail does. I definitely do NOT want to install a separate app just for a few AIM contacts.

7. The contact integration threw me off at first, but then I realized the best method to keep organized was to group and manage all the contacts through google, let them sync to my phone, then use the Display Options to select the ones I wanted displayed. Which is great as I was forced to organized 7 years worth of contacts I had accumulated through gmail.

All in all, an excellent device in every category.
    Try using eBuddy. Supports almost all the major IM services.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links