New Member (Fido) Canada

This is a discussion on New Member (Fido) Canada within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Two weeks ago I ordered and received Nexus while on a holiday in Florida. I went in to 2 different T-Mobile store in Tallahassee to ...

Thread: New Member (Fido) Canada

New Member (Fido) Canada

Two weeks ago I ordered and received Nexus while on a holiday in Florida. I went in to 2 different T-Mobile store in Tallahassee to buy a month's plan for phone and data so that I could use the phone while in the US. The first store (a dealer, not company) had no idea how to do this. The second store had me up and running in a couple of minutes (Thanks Jason). The issue that non-US residents face is not having a US Social Insurance Number or US credit rating. I didn't want pre-paid because it wasn't available with data. Anyways, T-Mobile has a plan where you just pay for a month, no contract and that's all there is to it. Very cheap by Canadian standards. I tried to do this from Canada before leaving so that I could forward my phone to the number, but found that I actually had to do it in a physical store.

While still in the US last week Google announced new hardware that worked at 3G speeds on Rogers and ATT, etc. I made arrangements to return the first phone (still within the 14 day period) and ordered a new phone to be delivered in Canada. The FedEx prepaid return shipping label didn't arrive via email until I was back home so I arrived at home with the first phone still with me and the new phone delivered.

The first phone seemed to work fine on Fido and showed 3G connectivity, but I didn't want to pay for 2 phones - so still returned it yesterday. (Incidentally, the local FedEx employee was able to pull up HTC's account number from the within US prepaid shipping label and use it so that I didn't have to pay for shipping from Canada for the US phone. We'll see how good they are about issuing the refund to my credit card).

I love the Nexus and am still playing with exploring all of its features. Like many others, I find the inability to sync with Outlook a drawback; perhaps this will force me to set up an Exchange account or perhaps there are other solutions.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by rwnoble View Post
    Two weeks ago I ordered and received Nexus while on a holiday in Florida. I went in to 2 different T-Mobile store in Tallahassee to buy a month's plan for phone and data so that I could use the phone while in the US. The first store (a dealer, not company) had no idea how to do this. The second store had me up and running in a couple of minutes (Thanks Jason). The issue that non-US residents face is not having a US Social Insurance Number or US credit rating. I didn't want pre-paid because it wasn't available with data. Anyways, T-Mobile has a plan where you just pay for a month, no contract and that's all there is to it. Very cheap by Canadian standards. I tried to do this from Canada before leaving so that I could forward my phone to the number, but found that I actually had to do it in a physical store.

While still in the US last week Google announced new hardware that worked at 3G speeds on Rogers and ATT, etc. I made arrangements to return the first phone (still within the 14 day period) and ordered a new phone to be delivered in Canada. The FedEx prepaid return shipping label didn't arrive via email until I was back home so I arrived at home with the first phone still with me and the new phone delivered.

The first phone seemed to work fine on Fido and showed 3G connectivity, but I didn't want to pay for 2 phones - so still returned it yesterday. (Incidentally, the local FedEx employee was able to pull up HTC's account number from the within US prepaid shipping label and use it so that I didn't have to pay for shipping from Canada for the US phone. We'll see how good they are about issuing the refund to my credit card).

I love the Nexus and am still playing with exploring all of its features. Like many others, I find the inability to sync with Outlook a drawback; perhaps this will force me to set up an Exchange account or perhaps there are other solutions.
    Hello

I too am a new user on Fido. I love the phone, use WiFi connections for internet a lot but just got a data package added to my Fido account. Any advice as to how to connect to the data package? Fido reps don't know the Google phone.

Fido Settings

Quote Originally Posted by 22bmoore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rwnoble View Post

Hello

I too am a new user on Fido. I love the phone, use WiFi connections for internet a lot but just got a data package added to my Fido account. Any advice as to how to connect to the data package? Fido reps don't know the Google phone.
    Hi 22bmoore:

Try the settings found about half way down on this page:

Nothing Everywhere

They ordinarily work fine for me with the exception that this morning I am visiting in Kingston, Ontario and am only getting Edge, not 3G connections. I wonder if it is only a temporary thing (like the network) or if Rogers/Fido is now shaping and slowing down tethering with the newest Froyo release to Android 2.2? (I previously used June Fabrics PdA net for tethering and I know that I always had 3G connectivity when visiting in Kingston.

Fido Settings

It must have been a temporary thing - I haven't changed those settings and now I'm back to 3G connectivity while tethered in Kingston, Ontario.

Hi! There are lots of Canadians on this board - howdies from out west! I'm glad to hear that you love the phone.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links