GMail - PULL every 60 min, instead of Push?

This is a discussion on GMail - PULL every 60 min, instead of Push? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Can this be done? Love the way the Google apps "push" so that gmail, calendar and picasa albums update in an instant. But for the ...

Thread: GMail - PULL every 60 min, instead of Push?

GMail - PULL every 60 min, instead of Push?

Can this be done?
    Love the way the Google apps "push" so that gmail, calendar and picasa albums update in an instant. But for the sake of minimising battery drain I thought it might be good to disable Push. Then to sync calendar manually while setting gmail to check for messages at a set time interval. (In the same manner as one can for the regular N1 email client.)
    If I understand correctly, setting "background data" OFF stops Push which is half the equation. However short of opening Gmail and hitting refresh I see no obvious way to check for messages in this scenario. Only work around I can see is to create a GMAIL account in "email" app that checks to a 60 min schedule. But this would sort of ruin the interface running gmail in the email client.

Obviously using Background Data is the best way to go and is the design intent of the phone, however it would be nice to be able to simply throttle it back to say 30 or 60 min gmail checks IF does in fact make a worth while gain in battery life.

Another thing that occurred to me was this could be achieved through the Power Control widget. If someone came up with away to automatically cycle the "sync" button off/on to a user defined schdule. So hypothetically sync could be ON for 2 minutes every hour then off again. Surely this would save power and may keep people close enough to their gmail action.

I find the description of background data and Auto-sync in the manual a little cryptic. Elsewhere people use the terms Push\Pull for syncing however Google have elected not to.

Anyway my first post here. Hope it makes some sense.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Welcome! I too would eventually like to do this (when I get mine). Anyone?

huh? OP I don't understand your goal. Why not just add your gmail account to the "Mail" app, and sync it to check at whatever interval you like? It offers 5,10,15,20,etc... minute intervals as-is. I use it for my backup gmail accounts all the time. Works fine.

If you're just worried about battery life, don't be. Remember that Android lets you check battery usage statistics. Leaving push email on for a full battery cycle affects things some 0.001% or whatever. All it's doing is sending you a byte of text for a header; you use more energy just having the screen on for several seconds.

Seriously. Push is optimized. Enjoy it. (and use the mail app otherwise)

*EDIT* BTW - you use MORE energy checking your email every 60 minutes. Checking email necessitates that the phone send information to login, and uploaded transmissions are much less energy efficient. Push email is more like getting a text message; that "background data" is a pretty core and optimized part of the system, so its latent cycles don't take much.

Hi, My goal is to increase battery life. Your statement sounds reasonable, However... The Nexus manual states:

"Background data Check to permit applications to synchronize data in the background, whether or not you are actively working in them. Unchecking this setting can save battery power and lowers (but does not eliminate) data use."

So if Google say switching background data off saves battery and they place a button to do same on the power manger widget I am inclined to believe it is a worth while strategy.

So instead of me remembering to toggle it off and inadvertently leaving it on, I envisage a utility to cycle it on for a short period at defined intervals. While it is on for a couple of minutes each hour any calendar, gmail, picasa or other push stuff will come to me. The rest of the time I enjoy the power saving.

ahh, okay, you're right; I was trying to point out something a bit different though.

"Background data" in general includes many tasks, especially things like GPS(location-based) data, which definitely do take up battery life (again, uploaded data).

The push mail aspect of background data (assuming it's included in there) is minimal. Therefore, if you're just worried about mail, it's a non-issue. However, if you use the phone only for games, movies, and web-browsing (as opposed to services like GPS, push notifications, etc..), then it can make sense to turn off those services.

However, please note that the **best** way to increase battery life is simply to go to the display settings, and turn down the brightness. Turn it back up temporarily for movies or photos, and then keep it down as much as possible. This has the biggest effect by far. Also, have the screen auto-shutoff on a short timer.

Finally, use something like ATK to close any unused apps, since the RAM draws significant energy when in use. These things should help considerably more than just the background services part.

Still, with all the amazing features this phone has, sometimes it's best just to buy an extra battery, and enjoy running everything at max!

Agree with Saffron- 'background data' could potentially save some battery, but the GMail push would have no effect on the battery, aside from a quick data ping and a notification prompt. It's the other background services that would impact cell life, and those can be better managed via Toggle Settings (market), or power widgets,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SaffronPlatypus View Post
    However, please note that the **best** way to increase battery life is simply to go to the display settings, and turn down the brightness. Turn it back up temporarily for movies or photos, and then keep it down as much as possible. This has the biggest effect by far. Also, have the screen auto-shutoff on a short timer.
    I agree with you. I've found the 2 biggest battery drains are a bright screen and talking on the phone... LOL... not unlike any other phone i guess.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links