Just Will Not Tether!!!

This is a discussion on Just Will Not Tether!!! within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I finally decided to try the tethering at home 1st.. was simple.. downloaded PDAnet on the laptop..installed it then dled on the N1 then click ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Will Not Tether!!!

I finally decided to try the tethering at home 1st.. was simple.. downloaded PDAnet on the laptop..installed it then dled on the N1 then click on USB debugging and tada..internet for the lappy. I then decided to copy the download PDAnet file from the lappy to the N1 (since the N1 can be a usb drive too) so that in the future I have the progam on the phone, just need to copy the main PDAnet file from phone to whatever lappy i connect to and it works fine.

Many folks dont see why tethering is a needed fuction. Yes the N1 is like a mini computer but still many times you need a lappy to do things the N1/Phone cant do. And it came in handy..

Was on vacation up in SeaTac for Norwescon. The hotel does have feww wifi in the main lobby area BUT then you have to drag stuff with you (I do alot of tabletop RPG stuff).. and they charge for internet acess in the room. SO wife had her lappy and I decided to see if the tethering worked on hers. Hooked up the N1, copy PDAnet off N! to lappy, installed and poof internet access thru the phone (good speed too).

Many Hotel/Public places/Schools/Universities etc etc dont have wide use internet/WiFi yet (Heck SeaTac just got wifi at their airport not too long ago..) and alot of airports dont have WifI so Tethering can be very very useful.

Now what I have not tried is do a call AND tether at the same time (anyone try that yet?).

SO far I really enjoy my N1 (heck even got a fellow co-worker to get one he goes thru Tmo) and planning on June/July getting a new 2011 Kia Sorento..then see how the N1 syncs with it.

Ok, here's an example:

You're driving down the interstate, and you get a call from work. They tell you that they need the file that you have on your laptop RIGHT NOW. There's no wi-fi on the shoulder of the road, ...what do you do....what do you do?

Why, you tether your laptop to your phone, and send the file directly to them from the middle of nowhere, that's what! It may not be something you use often, but at times like the one I related, it might be a lifesaver!

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Ok, here's an example:

You're driving down the interstate, and you get a call from work. They tell you that they need the file that you have on your laptop RIGHT NOW. There's no wi-fi on the shoulder of the road, ...what do you do....what do you do?

Why, you tether your laptop to your phone, and send the file directly to them from the middle of nowhere, that's what! It may not be something you use often, but at times like the one I related, it might be a lifesaver!
    so is it taking data from your phone data allowance,and last but not least is there a tut on this

its ok about tut as lappy instructions where easy to follow cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
    Maris....you were able to connect via BT without rooting? After numerous frustrating attempts to tether with PDANet, I finally got it to work via USB cable. It's not as convenient as BT, but it works. Not comfortable rooting just yet. Maybe when the "new" wears off.
    Yes, I can use it via BT without being rooted. That is why I chose PDANet. It was suggested to me by a friend who knew I didn't want to root my phone. At least you have yours working now, too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links