Screen brightness varies by itself

This is a discussion on Screen brightness varies by itself within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hello! I wonder if it's an issue with my Nexus One (AT&T version) or I just don't know something. When I'm reading web pages, looking ...

Thread: Screen brightness varies by itself

Question Screen brightness varies by itself

Hello!

I wonder if it's an issue with my Nexus One (AT&T version) or I just don't know something.
    When I'm reading web pages, looking at Engadget app pages, etc., a screen brightness of my Nexus One is constantly changes. It's like long (slow) waves of brightness. If I understand correctly, Nexus One is supposed to adjust screen brightness depending on ambient light level, but it does this even when I hold it steadily and ambient light is not changing. I cannot say for sure if my phone behaved this way from the very beginning or started to do it later on.

Does anyone experienced the same issue?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by vkelman View Post
    Hello!

I wonder if it's an issue with my Nexus One (AT&T version) or I just don't know something.
    When I'm reading web pages, looking at Engadget app pages, etc., a screen brightness of my Nexus One is constantly changes. It's like long (slow) waves of brightness. If I understand correctly, Nexus One is supposed to adjust screen brightness depending on ambient light level, but it does this even when I hold it steadily and ambient light is not changing. I cannot say for sure if my phone behaved this way from the very beginning or started to do it later on.

Does anyone experienced the same issue?
    It's an optional feature you can turn on/off. By default it's on.

Personally, it's an annoying feature for me and I just have mine turned up full at all times.

You can turn it off by going to:

Menu Button -> Settings -> Sounds & Display -> Brightness -> Uncheck "Automatic Brightness"

Thank you @soulstar.
    But was it also kind of unstable on your Nexus? I don't mind it automatically adjusting brightness provided that it works correctly and do not swing back and forth.
    I thought maybe my unit is broken....

Quote Originally Posted by soulstar View Post
    ...I just have mine turned up full at all times.
    +1

After tying different settings, full brightness is best.

I have also noticed the variable brightness issue. So, I'm using the Beautiful Widgets "beautiful brightness" widget, which lets you switch between 100% and 11% at the touch of a button. 100% works great in the car or outside, 11% everywhere else.

You do need to disable the phones auto brightness control for this one to work.

Quote Originally Posted by vkelman View Post
    Thank you @soulstar.
    But was it also kind of unstable on your Nexus? I don't mind it automatically adjusting brightness provided that it works correctly and do not swing back and forth.
    I thought maybe my unit is broken....
    I didn't really notice it to be honest. The feature didn't stay on that long with me either so I couldn't really tell you. Its my personal belief that the auto brightness isn't that much of a battery saver either.

I would just set it at a permanent level that you're comfortable with and go from there. If you need to change it on the go, the brightness widget in the power widget will set it to 3 different settings as you tap on it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulstar View Post
    If you need to change it on the go, the brightness widget in the power widget will set it to 3 different settings as you tap on it.
    That's what I do too...and the widget is on the top of my homescreen for this reason (and the wifi/bt/gps/sync buttons...)..unless it was there by default..it's been so long I can't recall! :rofl3:

Vkelman, after making sure your auto brightness is off, check to see if your screen is still acting strange. If it is, then obviously something is wrong.
    Mine is on auto and it does change brightness by itself sometimes just by standing there but nothing too extreme. Also, it is delayed by a second or two usually.

I get that too, but I realized it was a feature. I still have it on, just because it's kind of cool and I can say my phone automatically adjusts the brightness. But in certain places it goes crazy and gets bright and dark and gets pretty annoying. Anybody know what that feature does to the battery? Or would just turning it off and upping the brightness to 100% be better on the battery?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links