Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps

This is a discussion on Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Ditto, I've tried pretty much everything now. I setup a "reserved" ip for my N1, changed security settings, broadcasted SSID name, set QOS to highest ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps

Ditto, I've tried pretty much everything now. I setup a "reserved" ip for my N1, changed security settings, broadcasted SSID name, set QOS to highest on my N1 by Mac addy. I've used wifi analyzer to pick the best channel, tried different speed settings (54M/130M/300M)...

The only thing I haven't tried was changing the multicast setting as one user recommended on the google android forum. My router doesn't have that feature unfortunately..

I've tried pinging my N1 from my computer, which works fine while it is powered up. The second I press the lock key it no longer responds to the ping requests. Funny thing is, the wifi doesn't fully drop until the screen has been locked for several minutes.

This is the post that davewhittaker put on the android forums, re: multicast setting.

"I think I finally have a fix that may help a lot of you who find their phone disconnects when in sleep mode. On my airport extreme there is "multicast rate" setting. I haven't read up on it in great detail, but the gist of it seems to be that it's the speed which any device connecting to the router needs to be capable of in order to connect. I found that it was set to 11mbps on my router and when I reduced it to the lowest possible value, 1mbps, the N1 stopped disconnecting. My guess is that when in sleep mode the N1 goes into some type of low power wifi connection which is not capable of as much throughput. That causes the AE, and possibly other routers, to refuse it's connection. After attempting to connect a few times and failing Android seems to mark the AP as disabled and no longer make any attempts even after it wakes. I'd be really interested to see if other AE users or users with different APs can fix their problems by adjusting that setting as well."

This kinda makes sense, and I wish I could try it... Although the fact that my N1 no longer responds to ping requests as soon as I lock the screen leads me to believe that my router or it's settings really don't have anything to do with this problem at all.. But I hardly consider myself an expert when it comes to this stuff.

I've also tried "Fix my Wifi", "Wifi Fixer", "Wifi Lock", and a few others I might have found on the market. Nothing helps. The only thing I've gained by using any of these programs is the ability to automatically reconnect my device to my Wifi when coming out of sleep mode, rather than having to turn my Wifi Widget on and off again manually to get it to reconnect.

I really hope google is working on a fix for this, it's not a real major concern for me but it's just something that's annoying the hell out of me :P

I went from EPE54 to FRF85B to FRF91. Same problem on all 3 versions.

I'm not at all sure what's going on here, but I can report what I've found:

When the screen goes dark, wifi disconnects. When I turn it back on, within seconds, the wifi has reconnected automatically. Every time. Without fail. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    I'm not at all sure what's going on here, but I can report what I've found:

When the screen goes dark, wifi disconnects. When I turn it back on, within seconds, the wifi has reconnected automatically. Every time. Without fail. *shrugs*
    Yes, this whole thing is very strange... A number of people on the Android forums have reported having different sets of problems. Or none at all.

I've ordered a second N1 for the wife. I'll be sure to post my experiences with that one over the same Wifi network. I'm interested to see if it'll be any different...

Quote Originally Posted by funbunzsf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xy()niX View Post
    I have the same problem, and I'm using a brand new Netgear WNDR3700 router. Brand new phone (<1week). I have my wifi sleep policy set to never.

After my phone has gone to sleep for awhile, it drops it's connection and I'm pretty sure it is switching over to 3G. When I return it back to active state I have to toggle wifi off then back on again to get it to reconnect. I've tried using both "Wifi Fixer" and "Fix My Wifi" from the Android market, neither of which are able to prevent my device from loosing the connection. But they do automatically restore the Wifi for me when returning from sleep.

I've still got to test some different settings on my router, and I hear using a static IP configuration with WAP setting (instead of WAP2) works. I just haven't gotten around to playing around with that myself yet...

Sounds like a lot of people have their fingers crossed that froyo will fix this...
    I have the same Netgear router. Every morning I have to struggle to get Wifi to reconnect. I bet its a router firmware problem. FRF91 does not fix the issue with me.
    Netgears typically have Atheros chipsets....suffice it to say I no longer buy anything Netgear, after struggling for several years with Netgear stuff. At least I became a networking guru through all the Netgear troubleshooting! :rofl3:

the WNDR3700 is actually a very highly rated router.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with this issue. This is a very widespread problem and isn't limited to a specific brand / model of router.

Quote Originally Posted by Xy()niX View Post
    the WNDR3700 is actually a very highly rated router.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with this issue. This is a very widespread problem and isn't limited to a specific brand / model of router.
    Model/brand matters less than the chipset fab and firmware quality. I bet very few of those with this issue are running broadcom chipsets.

I don't want to take this too far off topic but: are there any Netgear WNDR3700 users running DD-WRT out there having these issues? I'm actually a big fan of the Atheros chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by funbunzsf View Post
    I don't want to take this too far off topic but: are there any Netgear WNDR3700 users running DD-WRT out there having these issues? I'm actually a big fan of the Atheros chipset.
    If your model supports DD-WRT, then wth are you waiting for!?! Incredibly stable firmware...best in the business, imho.

I know I know, its on my very long TODO list.

Looks like it is. I might have to give that a shot.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links