Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps

This is a discussion on Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Good news! I updated the firmware to 1.0.4.68NA (along with a GUI update) on the Netgear WNDR3700. Since one of the latest Froyo builds finally ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps

Good news! I updated the firmware to 1.0.4.68NA (along with a GUI update) on the Netgear WNDR3700. Since one of the latest Froyo builds finally revealed the N1's ESSID (ANDROID_) I entered the settings in the address reservation list on the router. I also set the wifi on the N1 to sleep when screen is off.

RESULT: Reliable auto connect to wifi when using my Nexus One!
    It didn't work at first, but has been stable since.
    I hope it stays that way.

Well the Wife's N1 came in. Same disconnect problem as mine. But, hers will automatically connect instantly when resuming from sleep mode without having to use any 3rd party apps... Both our N1's are on FRF91

I'm using the same firmware version (1.0.4.68NA), no GUI update though. Not sure what that is ?

Just curious folks, did dveryone's wifi start having the sleep problems start after frf85 or frf91? I am having the problem too, I am on frf91. Mine takes a while to go to sleep. I haven't established a pattern yet.

No, I was hoping the updates would have solved this.

I have this problem too. I was running FRF50 and had no problems whatsoever with the wifi disconnecting when in sleep. Additionally, when I got to work or I got home, my N1 would automatically connect to my router. I am running an unrooted N1.

Wifi sleep policy has always been set to "never," regardless of the version.

So guess I now have 2 problems with FRF91
    1. Wifi disconnects when in sleep
    2. Wifi does not automatically reconnect when I am within range of a saved wifi profile.

Does anyone know how to downgrade back to FRF50? I read that you couldn't unless you have a rooted device.

My experience with this has been that the problems(and it's almost certainly more than just one single thing) is related to a combination of the Android OS and the specific router. For example, we have a more industrial router at work with which I have had *no* problems whatsoever, not once, with both a Magic and my N1, running 1.5, 1.6, cyanogen ROMs too numerous to recount, and now 2.1 and 2.2 on my N1. It's not some powerhouse monster either, the signal is typically 2 bars. At home, however, a few model variants of Linksys home routers give various problems, the symptoms varying slightly, but essentially some sleep states in Android causes wifi to disconnect. At the moment, with a firmware upgrade on the router to the latest and N1 Froyo(FRF91 here too), it's the best it's ever been for me. Still occasionally disconnects, but I'd recommend a firmware update on the router to the latest version as a most likely aid.

I've heard stories that different broadcast modes on the router helps. That may be, for me it didn't, but perhaps it helps mask issues with their router.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by Xy()niX View Post
    Well the Wife's N1 came in. Same disconnect problem as mine. But, hers will automatically connect instantly when resuming from sleep mode without having to use any 3rd party apps... Both our N1's are on FRF91

I'm using the same firmware version (1.0.4.68NA), no GUI update though. Not sure what that is ?
    The GUI language firmware is 1.0.0.42.
    I allocated more DHCP IP addresses since adding the N1 to the address reservation completely ignores the IP address I hard coded into the router.
    Finally, allowing the wifi to sleep on screen off was the only way I was able to get consistent re-connects.

I have the same problem with my newly bought N1
    wifi connection just disconnects whenever the phone goes to sleep regardless of the wifi policy setting.
    I requested refund already and am gonna order another one and see if anything changes.

Quote Originally Posted by hbkmog View Post
    I have the same problem with my newly bought N1
    wifi connection just disconnects whenever the phone goes to sleep regardless of the wifi policy setting.
    I requested refund already and am gonna order another one and see if anything changes.
    Take note of your ROM version on both phones, they may be different/updated, and also note your router's firmware version and attempt to upgrade if a newer version exists. G'Luck!

Well I'm having my doubts this problem has anything to do with the router.. I'm having the same problem on wifi at work (not sure type of router). I've done some more troubleshooting.

Pinging the N1 over my network it responds normally. As soon as I press the lock button it stops responding. So I fired up Msn Talk, and using a seperate account sent myself an instant message from my PC to my N1.

Instant Message with N1 awake on Wifi - received normally
    Instant Message with N1 sleeping on Wifi - nothing received. (no notification sound)
    I press the lock button (shortly after) to wake the N1 - message received!

So I test it on 3G..
    Instant Message with N1 sleeping on 3G - received normally! (sound notification)

Frankly, it should not do that. I have a 7 year old Dell Axim PDA that can receive messages and respond to pings over wifi while sleeping.

I've also noticed the device doesn't seem to behave any differently despite the sleep policy setting. Either with Sleep set to Never or when screen turns off, the Wifi seems to maintain an "idle" connection (but unable to respond to anything) until the router perhaps decides to drop the connection (I assume) due to inactivity. At which point it will sometimes reconnect to 3G while sleeping, but will not reconnect to Wifi when resumed from sleep.

Clearly this thing isn't doing what it's suppose to be doing, I think I'm going to try contacting HTC about getting it repaired.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links