Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps

This is a discussion on Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by Xy()niX Well I'm having my doubts this problem has anything to do with the router.. I'm having the same problem on wifi ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Disconnects When Phone Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by Xy()niX View Post
    Well I'm having my doubts this problem has anything to do with the router.. I'm having the same problem on wifi at work (not sure type of router). I've done some more troubleshooting.

Pinging the N1 over my network it responds normally. As soon as I press the lock button it stops responding. So I fired up Msn Talk, and using a seperate account sent myself an instant message from my PC to my N1.

Instant Message with N1 awake on Wifi - received normally
    Instant Message with N1 sleeping on Wifi - nothing received. (no notification sound)
    I press the lock button (shortly after) to wake the N1 - message received!

So I test it on 3G..
    Instant Message with N1 sleeping on 3G - received normally! (sound notification)

Frankly, it should not do that. I have a 7 year old Dell Axim PDA that can receive messages and respond to pings over wifi while sleeping.

I've also noticed the device doesn't seem to behave any differently despite the sleep policy setting. Either with Sleep set to Never or when screen turns off, the Wifi seems to maintain an "idle" connection (but unable to respond to anything) until the router perhaps decides to drop the connection (I assume) due to inactivity. At which point it will sometimes reconnect to 3G while sleeping, but will not reconnect to Wifi when resumed from sleep.

Clearly this thing isn't doing what it's suppose to be doing, I think I'm going to try contacting HTC about getting it repaired.
    I'm getting mine refund and ordering a new one.
    But also there's source saying it's caused by 2.2 froyo. Did you have this problem before on 2.1?

I don't think HTC is going to be any help on the wifi disco. It is beginning to look like that a lot of people that went to FRF91 including me are having this problem thus placing the problem in Google's hands.

I've had the problem since EPE21.

This is important. Early on the N1 had problems connecting at all not just going to sleep. This was fixed by setting the routers channel assignment to "fixed" rather than "auto" channel assignment. In other words you set the channel to be used in the router. The N1 seems to have trouble auto negotiating what channel to use. At least for me I never had disco's when the N1 screen is turned off prior to Froyo. Also as long as the wifi has traffic going accross it it doesn't seem to go to sleep for me, But I am not 100% sure of this yet

Wifi disconnects

There is an app on the Android market called "Wi-Fi keep alive". It is a free app and it does seem to keep the Wi?Fi from going asleep (at least mine didn't go to sleep last night). Haven't noticed any side effects. Strange an app to fix a bug. Oh well whatever works, right..

Just gave it a try, didn't work for me.

WiFi disconnects

I have been running a continuous ping to my phone. I notice when the screen is on my ping times run about 30MS. When I turn my screen off the ping time become erratic and in the several hundred MS times with request timeouts. It seems that the N1 puts the WiFi in low power mode and puts the data at a low priority. The app Wifi seems to keep the phones WiFi service from terminating. Since I have used it I haven't had to disable and then re enable WiFi to get it running again.

can somebody help me on my problem.. no one seems to answer.. my link is below
    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...html#post64862

After FRF91 I had a problem with occasional wi-fi disconnects. I moved the N1 from one 802.11n router (Trendnet) to a different 802.11n router (Linksys). I haven't seen the problem since.

Smile Wi-fi keep alive worked for me

I tried many streaming programs, a couple of routers and various wifi lock apps
    all with no success. (N1, Froyo 2.2, frf91)

I recently tried Wi-fi keep alive following the advice above and Wi-Fi is staying on after the screen sleeps with the "always on" option selected.

This is a lifesaver for me as I'm an insomniac and would be lost without the BBC World service running through the night!

Also found it kinda frustrating that my N1 couldn't perform a task that my trusty old IPAQ 110 performed with ease...

Listening now with tunein

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links