WiFi DNS settings

This is a discussion on WiFi DNS settings within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I have a couple parts to this question. First does anybody know how to look what DNS settings you get from WiFi? The reason for ...

Thread: WiFi DNS settings

WiFi DNS settings

I have a couple parts to this question. First does anybody know how to look what DNS settings you get from WiFi? The reason for that is because I cannot type the internal name of my internal website when I'm on the Wifi. But I can type in the IP address of it and it will go there with no problems. I've also noticed that with a remote desktop app not finding a machine unless I put in the IP address. So I wanted to check if it was getting the correct DNS info.

Anybody else have this issue?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post
    I have a couple parts to this question. First does anybody know how to look what DNS settings you get from WiFi? The reason for that is because I cannot type the internal name of my internal website when I'm on the Wifi. But I can type in the IP address of it and it will go there with no problems. I've also noticed that with a remote desktop app not finding a machine unless I put in the IP address. So I wanted to check if it was getting the correct DNS info.

Unless you manually assigned static IP's (which would include DNS settings) you are using DHCP from your router, so whatever your router is set to, so goes your N1.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post

Unless you manually assigned static IP's (which would include DNS settings) you are using DHCP from your router, so whatever your router is set to, so goes your N1.
    Yeah you would think that... But it seems like it's not using the DNS server that it got from DHCP. I think it's just using the default one for the phone and not looking to the DHCP DNS address when connected to the WiFi. Right now the workaround is using the IP address, but I would rather it work with the DNS name.

To answer your first question, you can use adb commands to find what DNS settings you're getting from wifi, but you need to have the Android SDK installed.
    -Enable USB debugging on the phone & plug it in to comp
    -Open a command window from the SDK tools directory
    -type "adb devices" to verify adb recognizes the device
    -type "adb shell" to get into a shell
    -type "getprop net.dns1" and it should return 1st current DNS entry
    -type "getprop net.dns2" and it should return 2nd current DNS entry
    -type "exit" to exit the shell

If you're rooted I think you can also set the DNS entries like so:
    -type "setprop net.dns1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and it should set the 1st DNS entry
    -type "setprop net.dns2 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and it should set the 2nd DNS entry
    - now use the getprop command above to verify it stuck.
    However, when you switch networks, I think the DNS entries will get overwritten...

maybe this will shed some light:
    Help! Changing DNS settings - xda-developers

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    To answer your first question, you can use adb commands to find what DNS settings you're getting from wifi, but you need to have the Android SDK installed.
    -Enable USB debugging on the phone & plug it in to comp
    -Open a command window from the SDK tools directory
    -type "adb devices" to verify adb recognizes the device
    -type "getprop net.dns1" and it should return 1st current DNS entry
    -type "getprop net.dns2" and it should return 2nd current DNS entry

If you're rooted I think you can also set the DNS entries like so:
    -type "setprop net.dns1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and it should set the 1st DNS entry
    -type "setprop net.dns2 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and it should set the 2nd DNS entry
    - now use the getprop command above to verify it stuck.
    However, when you switch networks, I think the DNS entries will get overwritten...

maybe this will shed some light:
    Help! Changing DNS settings - xda-developers
    Well I'm not rooted... mainly because I just got it and I'm too lazy to do it. Then I never got the SDK working right for me... But I did discover if I use the FQDN for my intranet site I can get to it with no problems. So it's getting the right stuff, just the phone is picky about not having the FQDN. At least that's my theory.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links