GPS acting up?

This is a discussion on GPS acting up? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey guys, I got a Nexus a while back and I had it replaced within the first week since I had a dead pixel. Everything ...

Thread: GPS acting up?

GPS acting up?

Hey guys,

I got a Nexus a while back and I had it replaced within the first week since I had a dead pixel. Everything was working fine, a couple of months later I rooted and installed CyanogenMod, which was great.

A couple weeks ago I started to notice the GPS wasn't picking up the signal all the time. It worked before without any flaws but now I kept on receiving the 'Waiting for location' + 'Your location is currently unavailable' error (I turned off WiFi so I could test only the GPS).

I made sure this was done in an open environment [a moving train with open sky in all directions].

The other day I was able to get signal while sitting in a car [that wasn't moving]. I turned GPS off and back on and I wasn't able to get the signal again.

I also used to be able to get signal while sitting in the basement but nothing anymore.

Is this more than a software issue? If it could be, I plan on reverting back to the stock firmware but I don't want to go through the hassle if it wont solve the problem.

Thanks for any help.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Two things to try.

Quote Originally Posted by ysbb View Post
    I made sure this was done in an open environment [a moving train with open sky in all directions].
    This is actually bad place to try to get an initial GPS fix. Because 1 you are moving and 2 chances are if it is an electric train with overhead power it will have a all sorts of interference between you and the sky.

So if possible try in real open environment such as standing stationary in a park with that is not over shadowed by tall buildings.

This step is only necessary for getting you first fix at a location. If the GPS is already localised you should be able to get a fix in your moving train OK.

Next thing to try, is to flush the satellite ephemeris data telling the GPS where & which satellite to expect to "see" at your location at the current time. Seems to me sometimes this info can get messed up (on any gps not just the N1). I found turning off the N1 and removing the battery for 5 or 10 minutes seems to fix this. Might just be placebo but I reckon it works.

Both of these steps should be a one off. Once it is working properly again you should be able to get a fix quickly.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links