GPS problem

This is a discussion on GPS problem within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; bizarrely the GPS decided it wanted to start working again today! Had a good lock on for the whole journey home (about an hour) around ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS problem

bizarrely the GPS decided it wanted to start working again today!

Had a good lock on for the whole journey home (about an hour) around the M25 using the navigation software......works well and looks funky when using the satellite layer!

cheers all.

Quote Originally Posted by acabbie View Post
    bizarrely the GPS decided it wanted to start working again today!

Had a good lock on for the whole journey home (about an hour) around the M25 using the navigation software......works well and looks funky when using the satellite layer!

cheers all.
    Excellent! Summary: don't vacation in Italy!!! :rofl3:

Just for the records, I had the same GPS problem with my Nexus. Stopped working and working again randomly. Here is what happened to me:

1. I tested the gps in my garden when I bought my Nexus. It works perfectly for many times (more than 10).

2. A few days ago, I tested it again, at exactly the same place, clear blue unobstructed sky. It doesn't work, shows no satellites and keeps searching. Tested other GPS devices (2 TomTom and 1 Garmin) at exactly the same place and the same time and they all caught 7 satellites with strong signal while my Nexus keeps on searching. My car in the garage even caught a signal through the open garage door. Shut my Nexus down, restarted it, closed GPS, re-opened it, etc... Nothing. Downloaded several GPS apps (GPS Status, GPS Test), nothing. Uninstalled the GPS apps in case they are conflicting with each others. Nothing. Reinstalled GPS Status only as it worked before. Nothing. Left my Nexus out there for 3 hours, came back, still no signal.

3. Next day, still same problem. Was thinking about calling Google and tried one more time to shut down and restart the phone, switch off GPS and re-switch it on. Opened GPS Status and it suddenly shows.... 2 satellites with weak signals, then 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... 6 ... 7 satellites with strong signal while it has been searching for them unsuccessfully for almost 2 days at the same location under the same conditions. Re-installed GPS Test and it runs concurently with GPS Status without any problem.

Go and figure.....

Jim

PS: In the case of Acabbie, the reason could be that, when you take a flight and move to a country far away, the GPS needs more time to find a fix because it may still be searching and calculating your location based on your last fix. This happened to me more than once with my TomToms. But it was certainly not my case.

cheers for the replies........it's been working ok on and off but not as effective as it was when i first got the phone.

I had it running on the way home this evening and not once did it pick up any satellites! I tried the usual turn on/off but all to no avail!

I'm hoping that the 2.2 update gets it working again, if that fails i'll do a hard reset and see if that resolves the issue. If i still have problems i'll have to contact HTC/Google (who exactly do i call?) and see about getting the unit replaced!

Quote Originally Posted by acabbie View Post
    if that fails i'll do a hard reset and see if that resolves the issue.
    Please continue to post your experience if you try this. My Nexus also had difficulties finding a fix on a couple of occasions....

Jim

still having issues!!!

I thought it was working ok as i seemed to get a fix on my locations with various apps; google maps, 4sq etc but i noticed recently when i tried to use the car home navigation app it just has "searching for GPS" at the bottom constantly even though it shows my location pretty accurately! I've also tried to use the cardio trainer app and again it can't find my GPS location so is unable to track my route etc.

It's frustrating the hell outta me to the point i'm even thinking of switching over to the dark side and getting an iBore in the future!!!! (well ok, not that bad yet but you get the idea)

As before the base of the GPS signal icon is static and the 3 green "signal" beams are constantly flashing!!!

any ideas ?

Called HTC tech support. Went through all the usual soft reset, try this, click that yadda yadda yadda. we ended up hard resetting it and all to no avail so they've now taken it and are going to repair/reprogram the thing.

Should have it back within a week or so.

My Nexus One went in for repair in December (an unrelated issue) and when it came back the GPS wasn't working, hasn't worked since despite being sent in for repair by Vodafone.
    Now it's gone back to htc, so who knows when I'll see it again.
    Very disappointed with this phone, super hyped hi tech piece of junk
    My RAZR worked perfectly for 3 yrs, didn't miss a beat.
    What's the point of smart phones if they just don't **********work??

Ever since Google Maps got updated , It has been slow to synch with the sat's. Not sure why. Also other apps have slowed down but they do work. But they never Synch when I am on the move .

Used it on the plane this time when I was passing over the Arabian Sea, but it wouldn't synchronize with the Sat's all the time I had to keep randomly checking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links