Nexus One poor battery life, glitchy and slower than Droid, Droid Eris

This is a discussion on Nexus One poor battery life, glitchy and slower than Droid, Droid Eris within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey guys I have had my N1 for less than a week. I just wanted to see if this is happening across the board and ...

View Poll Results: Honestly, do you like this game?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • I've posted my ideas

0 0%

Thread: Nexus One poor battery life, glitchy and slower than Droid, Droid Eris

Unhappy Nexus One poor battery life, glitchy and slower than Droid, Droid Eris

Hey guys I have had my N1 for less than a week. I just wanted to see if this is happening across the board and whether the issues I'm having are inherent to the N1 or if I may have a lemon. I'm not trying to be a complainer, just wanting to see if getting a refund is in my future, a replacement swap or just dealing with it. Afterall, I like it better than the iPhone I sold to buy it.

1. My N1 is a battery hog! The usage info ALWAYS says that my display is using the majority of my battery. Right now it says 73% usage is the display and I have had it on the lowest setting and/or auto brightness all day. Every other category is 8% or less. The best day I have had was about 15 hours with moderate usage, GPS and WiFi disabled except when actually needed and the screen on dim or medium (but only momentarily). What's the deal here?
    2. It LAGS when switching home screens - and they're pretty much empty except for 2 widgets on the left home screen. This also applies to opening the apps "drawer" or apps in general. Just not an impressive speed. I see intermittent performance dips. I have to say that the Incredibles I have tried (I work p/t for Verizon) are WAY snappier and smooth. Ridiculously smooth and snappy, and makes me wonder how (my) N1 could be using the same processor!
    3. The touch screen accuracy is poor to terrible at times. It seems to be exacerbated by being upside-down (like when I'm laying down on my bed; also the accelerometer does not work in this position). I know the accuracy is a common issue though. Hopefully it will be fixed by a future OTA update.
    4. Some apps are missing from the Market, apparently blocked by having an AT&T sim card in place! For example, PDAnet.

If anybody has any tips (like "Dude your phone is a lemon!" or "Everybody's N1 is the same as yours - deal with it!") I would really appreciate it. I'm tempted to get a refund and wait for the next powerful Android device on AT&T that will try and rival the Incredible.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If your screen is 73% of you usage, I suggest reducing it's brightness...I've found 30% is fine for indoor use...and fortunately, I use a car dock for most 'away' use, so it gets another charge dose when running around.

Get a taskiller and kill off those apps you aren't using...I suspect you'll see a bump in performance, esp. screens and online surfing...in effect you are also reducing demands on data connection AND resources.

Keep screen clean...dirty screens mean innaccurate touch registers.

Don't know why PDANet isn't available, but it's on their site at junefabrics.com.

Stick with the N1, it's truly the class in the Android segment, even with the new spin-offs.

The poll it is a bit confusing.

"I've had/tried other phones and it is king!"
    "It'll smoke any iPhone, any day"

Both catagory states that the Nexus One is better than the iphone.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The only thing I dislike is the ****ty speaker and lack of fm receiver/transmitter.

1. The only settings I touch for battery use are the screen brightness and screen timeout. I set brightness at 10-15% and timeout at 30s. Most apps will keep the screen alive if you want. I use the power manager to control brightness. It has off (10-15% in my case), auto (don't know how this works), and full brightness.

Your display should use the most battery. I can usually go 30 hours without a charge. This includes normal usage for calls and internet. You have to make sure you turn off bluetooth, wifi, gps, and change the brightness so you are not wasting your battery. The phone's power management is good enough to leave bt, wifi, and gps turned on all the time. Applications that are not focused will stop using gps, for example, until you switch to it.

Heavy data usage will drain the battery. Since you are on ATT, you should be on edge only which uses less power. I sucked out 50% of my battery the day I set up my work email account. My email client used more power than my screen during that 6h period.

2. This lag is the animation. If you benchmark your phone with any app you'll see that it can crunch numbers and draw polygons.

3. I thought this too after using an iphone. I don't know about using a stylus or calibrating the screen. I have no problem using the default keyboard in portrait orientation. The display is actually under the surface 1mm or so. You can get some distortion from angeling the phone which makes you press in the wrong spot.

There are several alternate keyboards available in the market.

4. I have no idea about this.

Why is it bad that the display uses the most battery? I would think that that would be a good thing. Would you rather the CPU use more battery, or a rogue app? It would seem to me that your phone is working pretty efficiently if the only thing really eating up your battery is your screen.

Those stats are not saying the screen took 73% of your total battery life. It's stating that of the amount of battery used up, 73% went to the screen (whether you have 50% total battery life left or 99%).

Quote Originally Posted by xkillerbx View Post
    Why is it bad that the display uses the most battery? I would think that that would be a good thing. Would you rather the CPU use more battery, or a rogue app? It would seem to me that your phone is working pretty efficiently if the only thing really eating up your battery is your screen.

Those stats are not saying the screen took 73% of your total battery life. It's stating that of the amount of battery used up, 73% went to the screen (whether you have 50% total battery life left or 99%).
    well this wouldn't be so bad if your battery wasn't lasting for you. That means something needs tweeked I think.
    There have been numerous threads on here and most people have managed to get good battery life. Some of us also use profile apps or rooted apps to tweak things for even better battery performance.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

You mentioned you have had your phone for less than a week. I found my battery life greatly improved after a couple of weeks' use. I never turn off anything (but BT until I need it) and keep my screen about 30% or so and can go a full day with my normal use. On the days I am heavier into video, I carry the extra OEM battery ($25 from Google) and pop it in if I need it. As mentioned by xkillerbx, your screen will always use up the most percentage of the battery, that's to be expected. With everything the phone does, and as much as you will find yourself using it (especially if you get the aquarium live wallpaper and turn it on just to watch the fish, LOL), it's reasonable to plan on charging it every night. Gone are the days when I would charge my old phone once a week ... but then all it did was talk and text.

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    well this wouldn't be so bad if your battery wasn't lasting for you. That means something needs tweeked I think.
    There have been numerous threads on here and most people have managed to get good battery life. Some of us also use profile apps or rooted apps to tweak things for even better battery performance.
    I keep my screen at 100% and everything stays turned on (except BT because I never use it). News & weather updates every 3 hours, Twitter & Facebook every hour, Gmail syncing, and have moderate browsing, texting, and voice calls and I regularly make it through the day with about 20-30% left. That's standard I would assume. Most smartphones are going to need to be charged daily.

Quote Originally Posted by xkillerbx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    I keep my screen at 100% and everything stays turned on (except BT because I never use it). News & weather updates every 3 hours, Twitter & Facebook every hour, Gmail syncing, and have moderate browsing, texting, and voice calls and I regularly make it through the day with about 20-30% left. That's standard I would assume. Most smartphones are going to need to be charged daily.
    sounds about right. I have a profile app so I do pretty well, but still needs to be charged at night. I think alot of people may have bad battery life from not charging it correctly the first time and emptying the battery and filling it up a few times (this is why the battery gets better after a week).
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links