Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails?

This is a discussion on Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by dsyke Originally Posted by alphawave7 Unless I'm mistaken, the Gallery (as well as most pic apps) NEEDS the thumbnail to point to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails?

Quote Originally Posted by dsyke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the Gallery (as well as most pic apps) NEEDS the thumbnail to point to any given pic..so that it may render it when selected. It seems to me that forcing the apps to work without the thumbnail may be working against the grain, so to speak.
    I guess i don't really understand that. On my Tilt 2 (please don't think that i am some WinMo hack arguing that windows is better because i definitely am NOT!) i had the same exact # of photos in the same exact folders and i Used Resco Photo Manager (granted it cost me $24.95) and it never created any thumbnails and never wasted any space on my card. it just displayed my pictures perfectly. I have about 4 gigs of photos on my card and the N1 created thumbs hatt took up 1.2gigs. That calculates to 30%. that means if i had 6 gigs of jpegs the N1 would create about 1.8 gigs of thumbs all but filling up my card and rendering the actual capacity far lower than 8gigs. That just seems wasteful and inelegant for what certainly aspires to be a very elegant os. Do you agree/
    Not really. The general idea behind cloud computing is to have your data on remote servers, with direct access by fast mobile devices via lightweight apps. The Gallery app (and likely most Android apps in general) has this different philosophy, and uses thumbnails as placeholders so you can quickly scan/gesture scroll through many pics, select the one to render for view/email,etc. and I also assume Google intended users to have Picasa as the means to link to your larger 'real' galleries using the Nexus. I hope you do find a solution that meets your needs, since the stock apps aren't doing so, but I find it to be NOT broken, in my view..it works as designed. The main complaint we've seen here wrt Gallery has been the speed of rendering, which I agree should be more instant, but this could also be a memory issue (too many apps running simultaneously in the background). Every release of Android makes things better and more polished, but it also has a direction that differs from all the others (iPhone, WinMo,etc.).

you bring up the exact reason i love the idea of android. The cloud mentality makes great sense and is implemented extremely well ( maps and navigation are awesome, gmail & calendar work great. i have been an outlook sync guy for years and after i exported my contacts to gmail it was really wonderful to turn on my new phone and have everything sync in like 1 minute! gmail even got rid of 82 redundant contacts! it really is beautifully done. i
    my complaint about gallery isn't even slow rendering it is the complete lack of rendering. in 5 days with the phone the gallery has never loaded even once.(tried probably 20 times) it stopped responding and force closed every time. (b&b gallery was the same) the phone will support up to 32gig card but can't cope with a measly 4 gigs of pics. i am going to keep this phone because i believe in the system. it is a pretty amazing accomplishment that android has come this far this fast! Microsoft moves slower than a glacier. (i can't imagine the suffering the early adopters of Windows Phone 7 will go through!) i just hope this Handset alliance pay attention to what are inarguably major shortcomings with regards to media handling.

All you have to do is put your image files in a folder on your SD card that's name starts with a dot.

Example: .images

These files will not show up in the gallery, hence no thumbnail created. You can view these image files from any of the file managers offered in the Market.

You may need to purge the existing thumbs by rebooting between procedures:

* Transfer the files to your computer. Reboot.

* Move the files back to phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dsyke View Post
    you bring up the exact reason i love the idea of android. The cloud mentality makes great sense and is implemented extremely well ( maps and navigation are awesome, gmail & calendar work great. i have been an outlook sync guy for years and after i exported my contacts to gmail it was really wonderful to turn on my new phone and have everything sync in like 1 minute! gmail even got rid of 82 redundant contacts! it really is beautifully done. i
    my complaint about gallery isn't even slow rendering it is the complete lack of rendering. in 5 days with the phone the gallery has never loaded even once.(tried probably 20 times) it stopped responding and force closed every time. (b&b gallery was the same) the phone will support up to 32gig card but can't cope with a measly 4 gigs of pics. i am going to keep this phone because i believe in the system. it is a pretty amazing accomplishment that android has come this far this fast! Microsoft moves slower than a glacier. (i can't imagine the suffering the early adopters of Windows Phone 7 will go through!) i just hope this Handset alliance pay attention to what are inarguably major shortcomings with regards to media handling.
    But are you deleting the thumbs the system is creating, or are you convinced the gallery or Picasa is not working properly? I think I'd try to load just a few folders of pics, as a test, then gradually drag over a few more folders, and allow a rescan,etc. to see if there's a 'tipping point' to the issue. I just think any viewer/app requires thumbs for browsing/gesturing in the app itself, until selection. Oh, and please back up all those pics, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    All you have to do is put your image files in a folder on your SD card that's name starts with a dot.

Example: .images

These files will not show up in the gallery, hence no thumbnail created. You can view these image files from any of the file managers offered in the Market.

You may need to purge the existing thumbs by rebooting between procedures:

* Transfer the files to your computer. Reboot.

* Move the files back to phone.

That's what I do...I nav to the gallery-hidden folder, select a pic, and the OS prompts me to use a selection of apps to view the pic, incl. default Gallery, w/o creating a thumb...still I have to know which filename to choose, or hunt/peck to find the pic I want. That is the beauty of thumbs.

...still I have to know which filename to choose, or hunt/peck to find the pic I want. That is the beauty of thumbs.
    Well - while the files are on the computer, rename to something more descriptive.

Examples:

ugly-ex-girlfriend.jpg
    hot-new-girlfriend.jpg

:rofl3:

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    ...still I have to know which filename to choose, or hunt/peck to find the pic I want. That is the beauty of thumbs.
    Well - while the files are on the computer, rename to something more descriptive.

Examples:

ugly-ex-girlfriend.jpg
    hot-new-girlfriend.jpg

:rofl3:

Yeah, but..no but...yeah but..no but...the wife will FIND those! :rofl3:

This is what your looking for

EStrongs File Explorer
    Official Site
    Go To Market from N1

EStrongs File Explorer
    Is a file manager for
    Local Phone
    Home Network LAN
    Bluetooth FTP

Other features
    • App Manager
    • Task Killer
    • Copy, Cut, Paste
    • Thumbview
    • Multi Select
    • Edit Text
    • Search
    • Unzip

To enable thumbview go to Settings, File Settings, Show Image Thumbnail.

yes i have loaded relatively small (maybe 3-400 in 20-30 folders), and the gallery does work. i always knew it "worked" but it just wont work with a large # of files. I didn't see the experiment through to find the tipping point of just how many pics are too many(although i don't feel there should be a tipping point on a device like this). I just know a few hundred will work, but if you have 6000 pics the gallery will force close every time.

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    This is what your looking for

EStrongs File Explorer
    Official Site
    Go To Market from N1

EStrongs File Explorer
    Is a file manager for
    Local Phone
    Home Network LAN
    Bluetooth FTP

Other features
    • App Manager
    • Task Killer
    • Copy, Cut, Paste
    • Thumbview
    • Multi Select
    • Edit Text
    • Search
    • Unzip

To enable thumbview go to Settings, File Settings, Show Image Thumbnail.
    Thanks! I got this and it is getting me much closer to where i want to be. it organized all my folders alphabetically (the way i like) and it also lets me open a folder and view the contents in thumbnail view. without having to wade through thousands of thumbnails. I have to now check to see if it creates new duplicate thumbnails of my pictures in that specific folder or if it just shows the actual jpegs in the folder.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links