Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails?

This is a discussion on Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I've been using the EStrongs File Explorer even before it was in the Market. Great tool. I FTP files from my home computer to my ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails?

I've been using the EStrongs File Explorer even before it was in the Market. Great tool. I FTP files from my home computer to my remote server to update my website when away from home.

how many pictures did you say you where trying to get to work ? currently i have

6,870 pictures
    376 folders

and after a maybe 10-15 min loading time while it creates what it needs it works fine, and like others have said the nexus doesn't do anything it doesn't need to and creating thumbnails may look unnecessary but it is for best ?
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    how many pictures did you say you where trying to get to work ? currently i have

6,870 pictures
    376 folders

and after a maybe 10-15 min loading time while it creates what it needs it works fine, and like others have said the nexus doesn't do anything it doesn't need to and creating thumbnails may look unnecessary but it is for best ?
    I have approx. the same as you. 6500+ pics and 250-300 folders. My N1 never got all the way through the initial thumbnail creation process. it would always crash and give me the force close sign

Gallery takes a while to load hundreds of pictures, be patient and wait till it finish don't try to command it to do something else or it will FC. If you can't wait just let it run in the background by pressing home key, once it's finish loading it runs pretty smooth. Gallery is more of eye candy with a lot of functionality. Give it a change

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    Gallery takes a while to load hundreds of pictures, be patient and wait till it finish don't try to command it to do something else or it will FC. If you can't wait just let it run in the background by pressing home, once it's finish loading it runs pretty smoothly
    That is what i did, just use a task killer to start from fresh, load the gallery and put it down for a few mins, come back and see whats what.
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

ok! I deleted all the thumbs i could find on my card and started from scratch. I took my sim card out because you guys said to let gallery do its thing un disturbed. i get alot of emails & calls. left everything alone for about 30 minutes and when i came back the gallery worked! Put the sim back in and everything is good. No force closes yet. I feel better about this phone now. It is going to take some getting used to for me after using WinMO for the last 6 years! Is there a way to change how fast the pics change in slideshow? I haven't found it yet. also When a slideshow finishes, the screen goes black and won't move on its own. I have to hit the back button and it takes me to the unlock screen. is this normal?

Thank you guys for all your help and patience with me on this issue. I'm not really a noob (even though i may have come across like one!)

I'm also a Windows mobile veteran, I was also very use to resco, coreplayer, SPB shell, but now I'm enjoy Android.

If you ever find pictures in the gallery like cache file or just pictures you don't want in the gallery, just add a .nomedia file to the same folder to avoid the gallery app to add them automatically in startup.

A .nomedia file is just a bank text file created in notepad and saved as ".nomedia" without the txt ".nomedia.txt"

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    I'm also a Windows mobile veteran, I was also very use to resco, coreplayer, SPB shell, but now I'm enjoy Android.

If you ever find pictures in the gallery like cache file or just pictures you don't want in the gallery, just add a .nomedia file to the same folder to avoid the gallery app to add them automatically in startup.

A .nomedia file is just a bank text file created in notepad and saved as ".nomedia" without the txt ".nomedia.txt"
    Thanks Lionsson!

i did notice some cache files and others that show up as white folders in gallery. Also, speaking of Coreplayer, is there something similar that will allow me to play more video formats than what the phone can handle natively?

there are no media player like coreplayer. I came from WinMo as well and wonder why android doesn't have some video apps. no avi playback. I feel like I am using iphone sometimes when it comes to video since I have to convert to mp4 to play on nexus. This is definitely something google needs to improve on. Media. Other than that, loving android system.

Yes i too am enjoying the switch from WinMo to Android. What really excites me is the prospect of updates sent to the Nexus 1 before the carrier locked phones get them.

and the Android updates seem to actually add real usefullness to the os and phone.

One more quick question re Gallery. Can we change settings for slideshow. (how fast the pictures change, how they transition, etc.?) The slideshow as is seems to move way too fast for my tastes. I haven't found these settings.

Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links