Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails?

This is a discussion on Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I just got my N1 4 days ago, and coming from WinMo (Tilt2), so far I love the look and feel of the phone. I ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails?

Can I prevent Gallery from creating thumbnails?

I just got my N1 4 days ago, and coming from WinMo (Tilt2), so far I love the look and feel of the phone. I do have some frustrations though, and maybe the collective experience you all have can help me. I have over 6500 jpegs in about 275 folders on my 8Gig sd card. when i took the card out of my Tilt2 it had 3.5 gigs free space. after i put it in my N1 and the gallery finished loading it only had 2.3 gigs free because Gallery created 6500+ thumbnails. I used astro to delete the thumbs but they keep coming back. I don't want them. they waste space on my card and I really dislike the stock Gallery app. so i have dragged it to the trash. Since I'm not using it i would like it to not create all those thumbs. Also could someone recommend a good photo viewer app (I used Resco Photo Manager on my WinMo phones and loved it) I would prefer not to have all the photos load every time i open the app. I would prefer to navigate through all my folders, choose one, open it and have only those pics to be viewed. I don't know if any of this is even possible, but i'm hoping you guys will know.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

108 views and not one answer?! Really? Am i the only photo buff that is having problems with this phone and how it handles jpeg files?

The only idea I can come up with is to use the .nomedia .txt file trick to hide the photos from the Gallery App.

Hey Alphawave7, Thanks for answering! I'm sorry i dont know what those tricks are. can you elaborate?

Its a frustrating feature that I despise about this phone. I've got random galleries I don't want to see but no basic option to hide any of them. The phone shouldn't be creating gallery thumbnails of cache files and music art.

Things like the make me wonder what they're smoking in the Google offices. Maybe if they weren't too busy playing in their indoor amusement Parks and jungle gyms they could address some basic issues with their products.

I knew I couldn't be the only one who noticed this issue! It is now 5 days with N1 and i REALLY WANT to love this phone. It is beautiful(and very cool) and when it works right (I'd say only 70% of the time ) it is great. But the way things are implemented sometimes make me scratch my head. The processor is 1GHZ ram is 512mb yet it can't seem to handle 4.5 gigs of photos on my sd card. the gallery app stinks so i downloader B&B Gallery from the market and it too won't load all my folders. It gets about 75% of the way and thet i get the force close message. My Tilt2 has only 528Mhz processor 200?mb ram and handles my pics without any hiccup at all. I wish i knew why. and if things will settle down after next ota update.
    Rocco D'voe can you recommend any photo apps that are out there that may help me. I can even live with the thumbnails wasting space on my card(I'll get a bigger one) but i can't live with the torturous way this phone deals with pictures.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Gallery (as well as most pic apps) NEEDS the thumbnail to point to any given pic..so that it may render it when selected. It seems to me that forcing the apps to work without the thumbnail may be working against the grain, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by dsyke View Post
    I knew I couldn't be the only one who noticed this issue! It is now 5 days with N1 and i REALLY WANT to love this phone. It is beautiful(and very cool) and when it works right (I'd say only 70% of the time ) it is great. But the way things are implemented sometimes make me scratch my head. The processor is 1GHZ ram is 512mb yet it can't seem to handle 4.5 gigs of photos on my sd card. the gallery app stinks so i downloader B&B Gallery from the market and it too won't load all my folders. It gets about 75% of the way and thet i get the force close message. My Tilt2 has only 528Mhz processor 200?mb ram and handles my pics without any hiccup at all. I wish i knew why. and if things will settle down after next ota update.
    Rocco D'voe can you recommend any photo apps that are out there that may help me. I can even live with the thumbnails wasting space on my card(I'll get a bigger one) but i can't live with the torturous way this phone deals with pictures.
    I searched the appstore and so far i can't find anything else to replace gallery. If anyone can suggest one let us know.

the only thing that kind of works is copying one of the .nomedia files over to a folder with files you'd like to hide from the gallery. The only problem is then the media player can't see those files anymore!

so as far as i'm concerned this gallery feature on the phone does not work properly and needs to get fixed or perhaps there's another app out there that we can use instead.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the Gallery (as well as most pic apps) NEEDS the thumbnail to point to any given pic..so that it may render it when selected. It seems to me that forcing the apps to work without the thumbnail may be working against the grain, so to speak.
    I guess i don't really understand that. On my Tilt 2 (please don't think that i am some WinMo hack arguing that windows is better because i definitely am NOT!) i had the same exact # of photos in the same exact folders and i Used Resco Photo Manager (granted it cost me $24.95) and it never created any thumbnails and never wasted any space on my card. it just displayed my pictures perfectly. I have about 4 gigs of photos on my card and the N1 created thumbs hatt took up 1.2gigs. That calculates to 30%. that means if i had 6 gigs of jpegs the N1 would create about 1.8 gigs of thumbs all but filling up my card and rendering the actual capacity far lower than 8gigs. That just seems wasteful and inelegant for what certainly aspires to be a very elegant os. Do you agree/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links