New SD card, how to migrate data?

This is a discussion on New SD card, how to migrate data? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hello everyone! I have searched a bit and not come up with much on this topic, so I figured it'd be time to come from ...

Thread: New SD card, how to migrate data?

New SD card, how to migrate data?

Hello everyone!

I have searched a bit and not come up with much on this topic, so I figured it'd be time to come from the shadows (after a week of browsing) and make my first post.

I'm having trouble understanding the formatting of the SD card in my device (the 4gb card that comes with the N1). I took the card out and put it into a card reader, and it wants to format my card (Win7). I figured google just required a proprietary format and wanted people to use their device to mount/unmount the drive. But then I read about how people were using card readers to backup/etc. So... whats the deal?

This is a problem for me because I just got a 16gb card, which i'd like to use, however, I have a lot of apps (With data in them, the data seems to be stored on the card) and would like to just copy the contents of the current card over to my new 16gb card.

So, to be more direct, can I...
    1. Mount SD card to PC via N1.
    2. copy the contents of the card onto my PC (just some temp folder)
    3. Put new 16gb SD card into N1, format it via phone function.
    4. mount newly formatted SD card via N1.
    5. Copy contents from temp folder into newly formatted SD card via N1.

possible issues here?? Will I keep my apps? will the apps read the data from the card after the transfer (considering the data will be 'gone' according to the apps when i first put in the 16gb SD)??

i just dont want to lose my diet/exercise logs for the past week...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

When I upgraded, I simply formatted the new card FAT32, copied old data to a folder on my puter, and copied said data to new sdcard. Now I use that 'old' folder on the puter as a backup, and sync it manually on occasion.

so the format the n1 applies to the card is not readable via windows when just using a card reader?

Quote Originally Posted by RobPaulson View Post
    so the format the n1 applies to the card is not readable via windows when just using a card reader?
    IIRC, the N1 'old' sdcard used FAT32, so that's what I used, too...and I've had no issues with my card reader, using Vista. The key is FAT32, I think.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links