Possible to use headphones output WITH speaker phone GAIN on mic?

This is a discussion on Possible to use headphones output WITH speaker phone GAIN on mic? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I have a N1(Love it!). Using a headphone jack plugged into a car stereo for speaker phone/streaming audio/navigation. Then the PHONE CALL comes in. I ...

Thread: Possible to use headphones output WITH speaker phone GAIN on mic?

Unhappy Possible to use headphones output WITH speaker phone GAIN on mic?

I have a N1(Love it!). Using a headphone jack plugged into a car stereo for speaker phone/streaming audio/navigation.

Then the PHONE CALL comes in. I have two choices:
    1) I can hear them crystal clear over the car stereo...but the cant hear me because the Mic gain is too low.
    2) Hit the speakerphone button and up the Mic gain....but struggle to hear them thru the tiny Nexus internal Speaker.

My thought is there must be an internal dual level to the mic gain on the N1.

Just need headphone output WITH speaker phone mic level. Is there an APP for That? I havent found it. Help greatly appreciated, I know there are several of us out here trying to solve this. Thx.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

That was not my experience. I use my N1 the same way, and when receiving a call, I had no problem communicating with the caller in that config. I had the phone mounted on the console, just ahead of the gearshifter, and didn't have to do anything but answer the call. I'm curious to hear of others' experiences with this setup.

Thanks for the reply back. My current dock position is limited by the location of cigarette lighter.

It as approximately 2ft away down by my knee, hence the desire to find a way to increase Mic gain.

The difference is location. With a high mounted N1, your voice hits the lower mic prior to hitting the upper mic on the back of the phone. Noise cancellation eliminates the voices emanating from the speaker. When the phone is lower than you, *your* voice hits the upper speaker first then the lower speaker. Noise cancellation assumes that you are noise and tries to eliminate your voice. The timing difference is measured in microseconds. Raise your phone closer to your head or above your head and you'll eliminate the problem. I use my belt clip to clip my phone to my visor. Flip down the visor to view screen. Output goes to my stereo via aux input.

Being a robotics guy, I appreciate the detail of information in the reply and definitely as a work around I can either attempt to tilt the unit to bring the bottom mic closer(in relation to the noise cancelling mic in back), or remount to the visor somehow.

However the original question still remains as to if the gain can be kicked up independently. It is really worth noting here that in its current position the people calling in can hear me perfectly clear when its in speakerphone mode...its just the unfortunate side effect that output is diverted to the internal Nexus speaker when in this mode.

Oh well....truly Cadillac problems. :P

A detailed response but not a correct one.
    I have my N1 mounted with the car mount so that it is at a good position in front of my face and people still complain that my voice fades in and out.

My theory is that there's serious problems with the noise canceling software. In particular, if you hold the phone in any way other than the intended phone position, it often cancels your voice. I've tried any number of methods - holding the phone in front of me looking at the screen, holding the phone with the bottom mike pointing right at me so that I'm speaking right into it, etc. and there is no way to get consistent, high quality mic operation.

However, I just ran a test, where I covered the noise cancelation microphone with my finger. When I did that, I could speak fine in many different positions and orientations without difficulty.

Considering that the phone is worthless as a speakerphone or hands free without doing this, I will probably put a dab of something over that microphone so that I can actually use the phone.

I've found that when I had a similar issue, it was because the phone and dock were not connected via bluetooth (when I believe that they should have been). I changed the setting and problem went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Luq07 View Post
    Brilliant! I must have one.

Quote Originally Posted by ctcurry View Post
    However the original question still remains as to if the gain can be kicked up independently. It is really worth noting here that in its current position the people calling in can hear me perfectly clear when its in speakerphone mode...its just the unfortunate side effect that output is diverted to the internal Nexus speaker when in this mode.
    Hi, I have your same problem and want to know if you found a solution.
    The N1 mic behaves in a different way whether is in speaker mode or not.
    If I find a way to associate the way the mic works in speaker mode with audio output from the 3,5" jack it would be perfect.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links