News and weather app cant detect my location after froyo update

This is a discussion on News and weather app cant detect my location after froyo update within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by Beer Goggles Originally Posted by alphawave7 App-dependent, that is the main way Nexus determines your location, preferred over battery-consuming GPS. Fewer apps ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News and weather app cant detect my location after froyo update

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    App-dependent, that is the main way Nexus determines your location, preferred over battery-consuming GPS. Fewer apps rely on the old TowerID/triangulation method, far less accurate to wireless networking.
    See... there's a thing called abstraction... an application shouldn't care how it gets the location. That's up to the user to define. An app should ask the location service in the OS "Where am I"? and the OS should say "You're here" or "I don't know where I am". It's just that simple. If not, someone screwed up the design.
    What is your aversion to wireless networking location services? IIRC, Google is 'seriously' into using this method for mobile location-based data. If you have it, and GPS disabled, you can't reasonably expect to get location-specific information, such as 'local' news and weather, using 'my location' services..it could only rely on ZIP code manual entry, or the old tower method.

What is your aversion to wireless networking location services? IIRC, Google is 'seriously' into using this method for mobile location-based data. If you have it, and GPS disabled, you can't reasonably expect to get location-specific information, such as 'local' news and weather, using 'my location' services..it could only rely on ZIP code manual entry, or the old tower method.
    I wouldn't expect to get any location info if both possible methods are disabled. But it should certainly be able to obtain it via GPS, since I have GPS enabled.

The update interval for news and weather is user defined, so it shouldn't have to burn GPS battery continuously.

I wouldn't expect to get any location info if both possible methods are disabled. But it should certainly be able to obtain it via GPS, since I have GPS enabled.

The update interval for news and weather is user defined, so it shouldn't have to burn GPS battery continuously.
    Perhaps add this bug/question to the Google fora...'News and Weather reliance on wireless location services', and see what they might have to say?

Google probably went this route because it's the most reliable method available of getting your location.

Maybe they could have defaulted to GPS and when that fails (which it often would), they could fall back to wireless. For most users, I don't think they would choose GPS over wireless... at least not after finding out how difficult it is to keep it connected.

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    Google probably went this route because it's the most reliable method available of getting your location.

Maybe they could have defaulted to GPS and when that fails (which it often would), they could fall back to wireless. For most users, I don't think they would choose GPS over wireless... at least not after finding out how difficult it is to keep it connected.
    When it can't get your current location using GPS only, it should just use the "last known location". It's just that simple.

When it can't get your current location using GPS only, it should just use the "last known location". It's just that simple.
    Even when you're not in the location it's displaying?

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    Even when you're not in the location it's displaying?
    Because, unless you've developed some advanced teleportation system, it's pretty close to the same place. In other words, it's close enough.

Thanks alphawave7.......... longer battery life too! Nice.. sorry beergoggles that sucks you won't use wireless networks...... goodluck with that..

Quote Originally Posted by mrkstpnk View Post
    Thanks alphawave7.......... longer battery life too! Nice.. sorry beergoggles that sucks you won't use wireless networks...... goodluck with that..
    Critics everywhere.

same issue for me. I got yhe Froyo OTA this morning and since then my nexus cant find my location in the news weather app as well as google map, even when gps is on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links