GPS Issue

This is a discussion on GPS Issue within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; An app on the market (free) called "GPS Status". It has no maps, but it gives the full monty on the relative location of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Issue

An app on the market (free) called "GPS Status". It has no maps, but it gives the full monty on the relative location of the satellites in view Lat. Lon. Alt. error in meters compass plus heading, speed and acceleration.
    Maybe useful, or not?
    Nexus One :nexusx: FINALY rooted without ending up like this

Got CM7 installed too!

Thanks AD I'll look into that one too. Compass does work but the accuracy is questionable

yeah, there seems to be an ongoing question about compass calibration that I need to look into. I've seen this in all compass apps I've tried, but I'm still not too clear on what the best procedure is. Apparently it's easy for them to go out of whack.
    Nexus One :nexusx: FINALY rooted without ending up like this

Got CM7 installed too!

I usually turn off my cell radio while hiking and have no problem with either app I use: gps status and open gps tracker. There is no map displayed until I get data back but the way points are there. I know that you don't need a cell signal to use gps. I've never gotten more than 3m accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by themikemiller View Post
    I usually turn off my cell radio while hiking and have no problem with either app I use: gps status and open gps tracker. There is no map displayed until I get data back but the way points are there. I know that you don't need a cell signal to use gps. I've never gotten more than 3m accuracy.
    3m is actually pretty good for a consumer GPS. In the "old days" when SA was enabled, GPS accuracy was much, much worse.

3 metres is the best you will get with a mobile phone with out using network. You have to use the L2 signal to even get near a metre with GPS alone.

Quote Originally Posted by andyandy989898 View Post
    3 metres is the best you will get with a mobile phone with out using network. You have to use the L2 signal to even get near a metre with GPS alone.
    The "network" will not give you better accuracy. It only makes it faster to get the ephemeris data, which will give you a faster time to first fix.

Sorry but disagree. I can only speak for UK networks is possible to get a position of a mobile phone using network only. Police have been using it for years. It a complex version of triangulation. Test it your self. Switch on network positioning but not GPS stand indoors and press location on maps. Works for me

Quote Originally Posted by andyandy989898 View Post
    Sorry but disagree. I can only speak for UK networks is possible to get a position of a mobile phone using network only. Police have been using it for years. It a complex version of triangulation. Test it your self. Switch on network positioning but not GPS stand indoors and press location on maps. Works for me
    Yes, and it is very inaccurate. Much worse than the 3M typical of a good GPS fix.

That 3m GPS accuracy is the limit of the Phone not of GPS. All phones, Sat Navs receive L1 only. The GPS system using L1 and L2 together can get down to 1.5 metres (ish). Using a correction service this can be brought down to cm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links