GPS Issue

This is a discussion on GPS Issue within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I'm out in the middle of the ocean so there's certainly nothing blocking the satelites, yet my GPS doesn't seem to work. What programs actually ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Issue

GPS Issue

I'm out in the middle of the ocean so there's certainly nothing blocking the satelites, yet my GPS doesn't seem to work. What programs actually use the GPS as a stand alone system? Maps is a no, Car Nav is a no. I don't see the poibnt of a GPS system if it can't find you out in the open.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Can you not get a fix, and coordinates? The regular mapping companies have decent terrestial maps, but I'm unaware of maritime maps commercially for Android...you may need to do some conversions to get them to work. We have a few hardcore trekkers into GPS here that hopefully will chime in.

Not a hard core gps trekker here...but my first thought was you have no cell signal out in the ocean and it can't download the maps. If that is the case, I have seen mention of maps here on these forums you download to your Nexus One for that problem.

If a phone signal is required it sounds a bit of a waste if you ask me. Thanks for the replies

I think MapDroyd relies solely on GPS: True offline maps for your Android - unplugged ! | MapDroyd

That's exactly what I was after! Thanks heaps mate I really appreciate the help. I've downloaded my West Australian Map but am currently back in Perth. I'm heading offshore again on Monday so I'll let you all know if it finds me in the ocean

180km off the coast of Western Australia and that program doesn't aquire a location

Quote Originally Posted by Evman View Post
    180km off the coast of Western Australia and that program doesn't aquire a location
    Which is why I suggested you search for mobile maritime maps.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I'm surprised that it can't even give the location in the form of coordinates though. Would be pretty useful sometimes, especially for fishermen, divers, etc. I obviously don't know the ins and outs of GPS systems but I wouldn't have thought a location fix without a map would be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I'm surprised that it can't even give the location in the form of coordinates though. Would be pretty useful sometimes, especially for fishermen, divers, etc. I obviously don't know the ins and outs of GPS systems but I wouldn't have thought a location fix without a map would be difficult.
    Try 'Compass' from the market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links