My brand new N1 cannot find the 2.1 update. Tried everything, please help

This is a discussion on My brand new N1 cannot find the 2.1 update. Tried everything, please help within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by Rome Originally Posted by killerbender I bought unlocked a week ago and came with 2.1update1 Hmm.. I get the feeling google doesn't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My brand new N1 cannot find the 2.1 update. Tried everything, please help

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killerbender View Post

I bought unlocked a week ago and came with 2.1update1
    Hmm.. I get the feeling google doesn't have the most knowledgeable people answering their new tech support lines. They said they aren't aware of Tmo unlocked phones shipping with the update...

So, before you ever turned the phone on, did you already put your sim card in? Then as soon as you turned it on, did the google account setup, it was already 2.1update1?
    First of all, I live OUTSIDE US, my carrier even dont know about N1, and turned on without a sim card, with wifi off, and the settings told me that my unlocked N1 (t-mo band) was running 2.1update1.
    I think you should wait to 2.2 or flash cyanogen

Hang on, I have the exact same problem as Rome right now. Brand new unlocked, no contract -- got it yesterday. One thing of note is that I got a T-Mobile N1, but am still using AT&T(I just popped in my old SIM until I switch). Now, I know I could try manual or cyanogen or rooting, but I'd like to see how OTA works, and I'm too curious to not get to the bottom of this nonsense :P. Personally, I *suspect* that the 2.1-u1 update got disabled while they go roll out froyo, and that we'll be stuck at ERD79 until they feel like pushing us to Froyo, skipping 2.1u1 entirely.

This makes the most sense...Google is holding back/ took the option away on the 2.1 update waiting for the final push of 2.2 Foryo.

If everything else is working on your phone, I wouldn't sweat it. It should be on their record that you had this problem (I hope you kept good notes of who you talked to) and if after Froyo OTA rolls out and you still have no update, then I'd think about exchange.

I am on T-Mobile and I had my SIM chip in it before I powered it on the first time and it did the auto update I think even before I set up with my GMail account.

Re: My brand new N1 cannot find the 2.1 update. Tried everything, please help

I had the same issue too with the update. I couldn't do it OTA no matter what I tried, so I had to do it by sdcard update.zip method.

oh ok just checking.. mine had update 1 preinstalled on an unlocked no contract nexus imported from the US to manila.

Hmm this is getting interesting... Long post incoming, but please read it all.

I just went to my friend's house who bought the N1 for 179 on contract with Tmo. He has the full N1 data plan.

I put his SIM into my phone and it didn't update with his account/service either.

When I spoke with Google today, they told me that as soon as your phone powers on, during startup (if you have wifi or Tmo data service) it checks the server and determines if you are running the most recent firmware.

If you are not, it is not supposed to be possible to receive the "Your system is up to date" message in about phone -> system updates. According to Google tech support.

So while the "halting 2.1u1 until froyo" theory makes logical sense to us, Google tech dis-confirmed that theory today on the phone. So unless the google tech guys just don't know...

Google said they havent heard of my issue before, and sent me to HTC who authorized an RMA with restocking fee waived. Now I need to determine if I want to buy a second one right away so i can test it out before I send back the original, hold onto it and hope for froyo, or...

If I wait for froyo to roll out, but it takes me past my 14 day period of return policy I will be stuck.

Sidenote, I might want to RMA anyways...

1.) After I put my friend's SIM in my phone, I had to do a full data-erase hard reset to get my network back. That doesn't seem right.

2.) The INSANELY BAD battery life (100% to 15% in only 15 hours of screen-off stand-by time).

3.) The phone is literally too hot to hold when charging, like it burns.

That and not updating... maybe I just got a dud...

What do you guys think? Just RMA it?

Google isn't selling them in their webstore for much longer, and I need a $529 unlocked unsubsidized version for Tzones data to work... So if I'm going to get another one, I better do it fast just in case...

See, that's what bugs me too. The update to Froyo thingie makes a degree of sense, but not completely -- you're not seriously telling me google doesn't simply keep hosting all the versions on their server and the phone can't download the most recent one?

My phone's battery life is quite good from what I can tell, and overheating isn't an issue with me...same with the network. I'd try getting a new one, just in case, if I were you -- simply because of the hardware issues you're having. Those are probably unrelated, but enough for me to recommend swapping. Hell, you can tell us if the new phone downloads the update immediately as it theoretically should.

Bought a second one. Will be delivered on Monday. I will update with what happens then.

Should I pud my SIM in right away or just sync my google account over wifi to rule out my tzones data plan?... hmm or would it only work through my data plan because it's pushed through over the air by T-mobile?

Anyways, Once I get the new one, I'm sending the old one back for a refund.

Wish me luck!

~Rome

UPDATE:

Ok, well I got my 2nd Nexus and it has the same updating problem that the first had. shipped with stock 2.1 and won't OTA update to 2.1update1.

I manually updated the 1st Nexus to 2.1update1 and that went smoothly. But I am having other problems and just want some opinions...

The 1st Nexus has:
    1.) very poor battery life (they are sending a me a replacement for free)
    2.) Update issues (updated manually with no problem, but still sucks)
    3.) overheating issues (when I charge my phone is is too hot to comfortably hold...)

The 2nd Nexus has:
    1.) Update issues like the 1st
    2.) Defective haptic feedback (can't even notice that it works at all unless completely silent and paying very, very attention).

So now I don't know what to do. I have RMA numbers for both phones, but I can't try a third. Geez HTC how about a little quality control? All I have ever heard about HTC being top notch in product quality is really shattered here. The N1 is my first HTC device and Its been a pretty pathetic experience so far.

I sold my unlocked iPhone the day I got my first N1, so if I return both I won't have a phone to use... I don't know what to do.

Is getting that hot during charging a sign that something in the internal hardware of the phone is borked? I don't want to keep a phone that turns into a $600 paperweight. But having busted haptics in the 2nd one confirms theres hardware problems on the second one.

This sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    1.) very poor battery life (they are sending a me a replacement for free)
    It's doubtful a replacement will matter. 99% of the time bad battery life is due to rogue apps you have downloaded. If you see the issue with nothing but the stock apps, I would be surprised. Or perhaps your expectations of how long the battery is supposed to last is too long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links