Latest OTA system update fried my SD card

This is a discussion on Latest OTA system update fried my SD card within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; The 2.2 OTA update went fine but then they sent me another one a couple days later and it completely scrambled my SD card. FWIW, ...

Thread: Latest OTA system update fried my SD card

Latest OTA system update fried my SD card

The 2.2 OTA update went fine but then they sent me another one a couple days later and it completely scrambled my SD card. FWIW, I had replaced the original SD card with a 8G one. I lost all the photos and movies that I had not yet downloaded, not to mention a lot of other stuff that various apps had stored on it. :-( But what is worse, the OS was not able to fix the problem. I initially got a notification that the SD card needed to be reformatted but it was unable to do it. The notification just reappeared after tapping Format. I had to take the card out and reformat it on my PC. The names of all the files and folders were completely scrambled. But at least I could reformat it.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I highly doubt that the OTA and the "scrambling" have a cause and effect relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    I highly doubt that the OTA and the "scrambling" have a cause and effect relationship.
    Really? The notification appeared immediately after the update finished. You think that was nothing more than coincidence? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by donfrench View Post
    Really? The notification appeared immediately after the update finished. You think that was nothing more than coincidence? I doubt it.
    I'm not saying that it's impossible, just unlikely. There are TONS of people getting the OTA right now and you're the only one I've seen say that you had this issue. So, yes, I do think that it's coincidence.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, just unlikely. There are TONS of people getting the OTA right now and you're the only one I've seen say that you had this issue. So, yes, I do think that it's coincidence.
    Only a small percentage of people report problems like this and of those, a very small percentage have an 8G SD card. I have very little doubt that it is in some way related to the update and probably the unusual size SD card.

Only a small percentage of people report problems like this and of those, a very small percentage have an 8G SD card. I have very little doubt that it is in some way related to the update and probably the unusual size SD card.
    LOL

And what, exactly, is so "unusual" about an 8G card?

I just did two updates in the last few days with a 16G card. No problems.

Again I say, it's a coincidence. Something else is involved. Maybe some strange application. Something abnormal.

LOL

And what, exactly, is so "unusual" about an 8G card?

I just did two updates in the last few days with a 16G card. No problems.

Again I say, it's a coincidence. Something else is involved. Maybe some strange application. Something abnormal.
    Only that less than one person in 100 upgrades their factory-installed SD card. But more to the point, this happened immediately after the install completed and as soon as the phone re-booted, so no other apps had begun, with the possible exception of an alarm app. And since writing to the SD card is an operation under control of the operating system, which just changed....

No, the upgrade did something bad. Maybe the upgrade prematurely allowed the alarm app to access the SD card and the timing was such that a failure occurred. It may be that the bug does not affect every card either. Bugs are like that. They sometimes only surface when there is a particular confluence of circumstances. But it doesn't matter if you believe it or not and neither of us can know what exactly happened, so it isn't really worth arguing about.

Only that less than one person in 100 upgrades their factory-installed SD card. But more to the point, this happened immediately after the install completed and as soon as the phone re-booted, so no other apps had begun, with the possible exception of an alarm app. And since writing to the SD card is an operation under control of the operating system, which just changed....

No, the upgrade did something bad. Maybe the upgrade prematurely allowed the alarm app to access the SD card and the timing was such that a failure occurred. It may be that the bug does not affect every card either. Bugs are like that. They sometimes only surface when there is a particular confluence of circumstances. But it doesn't matter if you believe it or not and neither of us can know what exactly happened, so it isn't really worth arguing about.
    Agree about the arguing part and I am a software engineer from way back, so you don't have to explain software bugs to me.

The size of the SD is very, very unlikely to be a cause for problems. The design obviously allows for cards up to 32GB, so I think that Google is well prepared for your 8G card.

It's entirely possible that you have a flaky SD card. What brand is it? How long has it been used? etc. etc.

Apparently, you were just unlucky.

Hi DonFrench, I have the same problem as you. Straight after the OTA update, my nexus one is not acknowledging that my SD card is inserted. Did you find a solution? Nadeemahmad786@yahoo.co.uk

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links