Gmail Hacked when using my Nexus One

This is a discussion on Gmail Hacked when using my Nexus One within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; My early beta Gmail account got hacked today. I had SO much important stuff on it. I was using my Nexus One at work (Starbucks ...

Thread: Gmail Hacked when using my Nexus One

Gmail Hacked when using my Nexus One

My early beta Gmail account got hacked today. I had SO much important stuff on it. I was using my Nexus One at work (Starbucks wifi). I saw something about a certificate and I'm not sure if I accepted it or not. A few hours later I was hacked.

Does anyone know how that could have happened? :|

It was a complex password with a word I made up + numbers, and I have a Mac with no warez so I'm not sure how it happened. I'm pretty sure I got hacked thanks to my phone.

Also, does anyone know how I can get my email back? I'll even pay.

EDIT: I don't have a rooted phone.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    I was using my Nexus One at work (Starbucks wifi). I'm pretty sure I got hacked thanks to my phone.
    If you logged on to your gmail account on an unsecure public wifi hotspot, it was your negligence not the fault of the N1.

As for getting your gmail account back, I'd contact Google. Good luck.

I don't wanna start a debate about how secure or insecure the phone is. All I know is I got hacked when I logged in while on Starbucks wifi. But yes, I'm sure it was the wifi thing. I'm still not sure how it happened though. I'm not very techy.

I contacted google. I have a feeling I'll get it back but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    My early beta Gmail account got hacked today. I had SO much important stuff on it. I was using my Nexus One at work (Starbucks wifi). I saw something about a certificate and I'm not sure if I accepted it or not. A few hours later I was hacked.

Does anyone know how that could have happened? :|

It was a complex password with a word I made up + numbers, and I have a Mac with no warez so I'm not sure how it happened. I'm pretty sure I got hacked thanks to my phone.

Also, does anyone know how I can get my email back? I'll even pay.

EDIT: I don't have a rooted phone.

As the other poster mentioned this has nothing to do with the phone and everything to do with using a public wireless network where hackers can easily intercept a password being entered in. Public wifi is not restrictive and you leave yourself open to attack on these networks (another reason to password protect a home wifi network). You could have been hacked if you were using ANY wireless device over this network.

Something doesn't sound right...

Gmail defaults to SSL which means that traffic between your phone/computer and google is encrypted. Even if someone were monitoring the network at Sbucks, they'd only get useless gibberish from your phone and from gmail- this is the whole point of using SSL. You did have your account set to use SSL, didn't you?

I think something else happened. What exactly makes you think your account was hacked? Has data been deleted/altered? Have people in your contact list complained to you about getting weird emails from your account?

The good news is I got my email back despite the fact that they changed the recovery email. Google has great customer service when it comes to getting hacked.

Tyler, yes all my contacts got an email saying I needed money. Is it set up to use SSL by default? If yes, then I was using SSL. I will never use Starbucks wifi unless I really need it, which I won't cause I have a data plan. I just want to prevent this from happening again.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links