Have to Reboot to get Signal

This is a discussion on Have to Reboot to get Signal within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I live in a rural area so it is not unusual to lose signal but sometimes my phone shows no signal but then doesn't come ...

Thread: Have to Reboot to get Signal

Have to Reboot to get Signal

I live in a rural area so it is not unusual to lose signal but sometimes my phone shows no signal but then doesn't come back when it should. When I realise, I reboot the phone and the signal appears, often at max strength. This is frustrating because I cannot tell when the loss of signal is genuinely because of my location and when it is the phone being difficult.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Abs
    I am getting EXACTLY the same issue as you.... I only got this after I updated to FRF91 though....

I am too on Vodafone in UK.

signal issue

I have this issue since I bought N1 couple of months ago. It happens from time to time, let's say twice a week.

Sometime, after I would shut down wireless connection, 3G wouldn't kick in. The phone wouldn't be registered with network at all. Solution here is (most of the time) to go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators and select your network provider. After that 3G icons usually shows up if you are in 3G area.

In other times I would have wireless icon showing and it would seem that internet connection is present, but different apps would report "no data connection". Usually solution is to turn off then turn on Wi-Fi in Settings > Wireless & Networks. After that everything works fine.

Despite these small issues, I think N1 is great phone. I just wish these issues get proper attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Abs View Post
    I am getting EXACTLY the same issue as you.... I only got this after I updated to FRF91 though....

I am too on Vodafone in UK.
    FRF91 ! - I thought Vodafone was hanging back. I am still on 2.1 Build EPF30

But if you have exactly the same problem it doesn't bode well that even the latest update will solve my problem.

Abs
    Indeed. I have literally just called up HTC customer support, and have arranged to have my handset sent back to get investigated and repaired. From when they receive the handset, it takes 7 working days for them to get the handset back to you. I will updated this next week when I hopefully get my phone back!

Quote Originally Posted by bobetko View Post
    I have this issue since I bought N1 couple of months ago. It happens from time to time, let's say twice a week.

Sometime, after I would shut down wireless connection, 3G wouldn't kick in. The phone wouldn't be registered with network at all. Solution here is (most of the time) to go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators and select your network provider. After that 3G icons usually shows up if you are in 3G area.

In other times I would have wireless icon showing and it would seem that internet connection is present, but different apps would report "no data connection". Usually solution is to turn off then turn on Wi-Fi in Settings > Wireless & Networks. After that everything works fine.

Despite these small issues, I think N1 is great phone. I just wish these issues get proper attention.

I have the phone in front of me right now reading the replies. No signal on the phone. Turn WiFi on - no difference to signal strength. Search for Network Operators as you describe but, not surprisingly as no signal, I get a search error as none found.

Still holding phone in exactly the same position and orientation (no more than 1 inch movement), I power the phone off and restart. Immediately get signal strength of 2, rapidly rising to 5.

This must be a problem with the phone surely?

Abs
    Mine is exactly the same as yours Harrierman. Mine sometimes needs to be restarted 2 or 3 times before it picks up the signal again.

HTC Customer Services were extremely helpful with this issue. So hopefully they will sort my phone out and get it delivered back to me asap!

Quote Originally Posted by Abs View Post
    Indeed. I have literally just called up HTC customer support, and have arranged to have my handset sent back to get investigated and repaired. From when they receive the handset, it takes 7 working days for them to get the handset back to you. I will updated this next week when I hopefully get my phone back!
    Thanks Abs, be interested to hear about your experience. I have already had one replacement phone because it wouldn't come to life unless I removed and replaced the battery.

I love the screen but the interface compared with my Nokia E71 leaves a lot to be desired and the hardware/software problems that affect basic functionality are hugely disappointing.

Signal Loss - Android Version 2.2 - FRF91

I have a similar problem, the signal just dies and "no signal available" appears where the name of my network should be.

The only way to restore the signal is to turn off the phone, and then restart, "Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators" does not work.

I am finding this issue very frustrating, and I am missing calls and texts as a result.

It might help if I could reset this functionality without restarting the phone (which takes some time), the phone doesn't even have a restart button.

Is there any relevant diagnostics I can run on the phone via a terminal app?

Any help would be great, I can't return the phone because it was a gift.

What you're all describing is similar to mine(from time to time). But what I do is turn "airplane mode on" for a couple of seconds then turn off. This will restart network connectivity(cell tower), then my signal is back to normal again. Like I said, I only do this when I come across from not getting any signal at all. This by the way is better than rebooting your phone and waiting. Give it a try and see if it helps!

Ads