GPS without network service?

This is a discussion on GPS without network service? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; So this past week I found myself in an area on vacation that, surprise, surprise... has absolutely no cell towers. You literally had to drive ...

Thread: GPS without network service?

GPS without network service?

So this past week I found myself in an area on vacation that, surprise, surprise... has absolutely no cell towers. You literally had to drive 30-40 minutes in any direction to get service back. My problem, was that I couldn't for the life of me get my N1 to connect to the GPS to use any kind of navigation feature... Has anybody else had this problem? I would like to think in theory that you should be able to use one without the other. Once I got a network signal back the GPS would pick up without a problem, but then I'd lose it immediately again when I got out of tower range.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

What kind of terrain are we talking about? There are a lot of places where mountains and trees will block your GPS signals as well as your cell service. Mind you, when i have left the coverage area on the logging roads and such, i'll only have bubbles with no GPS even though i'll be in an hour wide dead zone

Quote Originally Posted by dveldt View Post
    So this past week I found myself in an area on vacation that, surprise, surprise... has absolutely no cell towers. You literally had to drive 30-40 minutes in any direction to get service back. My problem, was that I couldn't for the life of me get my N1 to connect to the GPS to use any kind of navigation feature... Has anybody else had this problem? I would like to think in theory that you should be able to use one without the other. Once I got a network signal back the GPS would pick up without a problem, but then I'd lose it immediately again when I got out of tower range.
    GPS itself should have still worked fine, but without data, meaning you need an offline mapping option if you plan to do this frequently.

GPS coverage in the northern hemisphere is pretty much complete. Like the post said above its more likely the background map to which you can reference where you are that needs to be downloaded. All your GPS will be able to give you is a lat and long position (like the compass app). If you have a map of area i guess you could work out where you are.

There are couple of apps which let you download maps to use offline but dont expect any detail at all.
    I use Co pilot on my N1 as it has map on SD card. Only good for driving though

Thanks for the responses. The more I've read the more it makes sense that there would be no map without the network to download from. It's unfortunate that this is the case and that there are no detailed maps as it makes camping/hiking in remote areas pretty much useless to take the phone as a gps/tracking device.

I was in a mountainous area, but even when we got up higher in elevation and out of tree cover into clear areas, there was still no GPS reception because the maps wouldn't load.

If someone ever comes out with detailed terrain/topography maps for the N1 to download and use offline with the GPS, it will be just about the perfect device.

I was in a mountainous area, but even when we got up higher in elevation and out of tree cover into clear areas, there was still no GPS reception because the maps wouldn't load.

Not to be picky, but you really need to change your terminology. Many people do this and it can be confusing to others.

Basically, you HAD GPS reception, just no map.

Wireless maps are great in the sense that they are always as up-to-date as possible. The downside is that when you're out of coverage they do not exist at all.

I would not say the N1 would be useless as it will give you lat and long position. Just use as aid to map reading. Just bear in mind that most maps use local grids so would need to convert. Might be app in market place

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

Not to be picky, but you really need to change your terminology. Many people do this and it can be confusing to others.

Wireless maps are great in the sense that they are always as up-to-date as possible. The downside is that when you're out of coverage they do not exist at all.
    I may have had GPS reception, but that's hard to say since I didn't actually check to see if I was finding satellites. On the other hand, I couldn't even get a bubble on a blank map with two different programs. Basically, my terminology is correct in saying I had no GPS connectivity because for the most part, I did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

I may have had GPS reception, but that's hard to say since I didn't actually check to see if I was finding satellites. On the other hand, I couldn't even get a bubble on a blank map with two different programs. Basically, my terminology is correct in saying I had no GPS connectivity because for the most part, I did not.
    I would have to believe that you had "GPS reception" (the term that you used), even if you couldn't tell. As was mentioned by earlier posters, there are plenty of applications that can tell you all of the details about the GPS reception (number of satellites, etc.), so it's easy to know whether your GPS is getting the required data from space.

I use Compass, and GPS Test, both in the Market. There are several offline mapping options..use search here to locate some our members use successfully (like MapDroyd,CoPilot,etc.)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links