Ah Geez, took apart N1 to fix LCD, now touch doesn't work. help?

This is a discussion on Ah Geez, took apart N1 to fix LCD, now touch doesn't work. help? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; My Nexus LCD broken from bring in my pocket, but everything else was fine. I could still use the touchscreen and perform all functions, the ...

Thread: Ah Geez, took apart N1 to fix LCD, now touch doesn't work. help?

Ah Geez, took apart N1 to fix LCD, now touch doesn't work. help?

My Nexus LCD broken from bring in my pocket, but everything else was fine. I could still use the touchscreen and perform all functions, the LCD screen (not the front glass) was just cracked.

Ordered a new one and used the ifixit guide to replace. Now the touchscreen is unresponsive. I can receive calls (that I can't answer!), the trackball works, charging works, etc. Touchscreen? Nothing.

Took it apart again but didn't see anything odd and put it back together. Still doesn't work.

The only weird part was the smaller flex cable plug on the right bottom of the main logic board. It is taped to the back of the LCD and the flex cable bends around the logic board and plugs into the back of the board. I just say that because it was the only variable I can't seem to account for possibly not being in 100% the right position after reassembly. Also, the piece sandwiched between the logic board and the LCD has a contact on it that needs to be touching the back of the logic board apparently.

I also seem to have an extra little rubber rectangle piece left over after install.

Looking for ideas on what to look for specifically that would affect the touchscreen. Using the ifixit guide I made sure I got all the plugs in (there were 2 flex plugs on the bottom 1/4 of the board, one just south of the battery, one on the left side of the battery, and one coaxial cable above the battery. All screws are back in their correct locations.

I may just have to send this off for third-party repair...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

As another question: Any way to get past the lock screen with only the trackball? I'd like to access the device at least. The trackball works fine in that I can long press the top button and bring up the menu to put the phone into silent, airplane, or shut down using the trackball.

Do you still have your warranty or did you Root and void it? Best bet was to send it to HTC directly or if you don't have a warranty, send it to a third party like you suggested.

Accessing the device with the trackball.. hmm? Only thing I can come up with is to Root and install a custom ROM that allows the trackball to wake the phone or get passed the lock screen. I believe you can install a custom ROM WITHOUT using the touch screen itself.

Of course, you would need to backup your device with Nandroid and go through multiple guides that only confuse you =). Third party sounds better!

Yeah, so I took off the sticker that said "Warranty Void" or something that's covering one of the screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Yeah, so I took off the sticker that said "Warranty Void" or something that's covering one of the screws.

Ahh.. Well third-party repair. That is...if you trust em! I wish you the best of luck.

Check your connections again. I haven't ripped apart a Nexus, but I've fixed a number of Laptops... There's always a ribbon connector somewhere that's not all the way snapped in. Or, perhaps that rectangle was preventing some contact from being made somewhere, and it's shorting the touchscreen? Probably not telling you anything you don't already know...

Another thing I would maybe try is to buy a broken N1 from somewhere, and take it apart to use as a reference.. That might actually be cheaper than third party repair, and you'd have some extra parts.
    Nexus One: "Hold it any way you want to!"

I've never been inside an N1, but I've fixed hundreds of screens in my time. The ribbon is probably not fully inserted. Check it for tears too. Was the digitizer included? Maybe you just got a bad one.

Here's a teardown guide: Nexus One Teardown - iFixit

Same thing...

I reassembled mine and same thing... Left with a little rubber rectangle and a second little rubber piece that I'm pretty sure insulates the flex connector that covers the cable on the left side of the phone (when it's dissasembled facing down) but I have no idea where the second piece goes...

I should say that the first piece is not purely a rectangle which is how I figured it out (if I'm right) but the second piece that I cannot identify is a straight up rectangle with now indentation like the first piece.

My phone does turn on and the screen does work but only until it goes to sleep (inactivity, pressing the power button, whatever) then it won't come back on...

I'm thinking it MAY have something to do with the contact on the back of the logic board and the battery piece... Maybe?

Any updates? Ever figure it out?

Sigh. After reassembly my nexus one has the exact same problem, works fine until the first time the display goes to sleep, then never comes back on. praetorian did you ever find a solution?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links