Embarrassing question?

This is a discussion on Embarrassing question? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey everybody, I'm sure this has been asked before and if I'm in the wrong section, please let me know. I bought my Nexus One ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing question?

Embarrassing question?

Hey everybody,

I'm sure this has been asked before and if I'm in the wrong section, please let me know.

I bought my Nexus One off of a guy who had bought it down in the states (I live in Canada). He had only used it for about a month or so before selling it. I think that he said he wiped it before our exchange, but there's an app (SuperUser) and a file (something with the word root in it, located on my SD card) still on the phone that I'm not sure what they mean.

Do the presence of these things mean that my phone is rooted? Is there any way I can tell? The unlocked padlock shows up when I boot the phone. Opening the SuperUser app shows empty tabs. Any information would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Depends how he wiped it, Factory Reset, etc. You could ask. A wipe doesn't erase the sd card. The SU app may be empty because no apps are on phone that require SU. Easy way is just go to Market and dl Root Explorer. It is a file management program for rooted phones. It won't work if you are not rooted. That's just an easy start. You can uninstall if it don't work.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Not embarrassing at all. The unlocked padlock during boot means that your phone has an unlocked bootloader. HTC and Google says that this will void your hardware warranty. There have been individual cases of people getting support anyway. But, officially, your phone warranty is void.
    The super user app does mean your phone is rooted. You can go to Settings : About Phone and software settings should show your firmware : baseband : and kernel version.

Thanks for all the information, nickshertzer. I can see my firmware version in the settings and all that, but I'm not sure what they mean. From what I can tell by browsing the forum, there's more than one firmware to choose from? Which is the best one?

I feel really silly, but..now that I know I'm rooted, now what? I don't even know where to start to get the most out of this!

I appreciate your patience, everybody.

PS: What does the locked bootloader do/mean exactly? Is it necessary to root?

Hey there,

Check your Baseband version and if its the same as the one in nicks signature, you are in a great position to flash CyanogenMod and open up the full potential if your phone. If you have any questions I'm happy to help.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

No, my baseband isn't the same. Mine says 32.41.00.32H_5.08.00.04, whatever that means?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMime View Post
    No, my baseband isn't the same. Mine says 32.41.00.32H_5.08.00.04, whatever that means?
    Ok that one works too. You actually have a newer version that is also compatible with CM6.

As far as rooting, the hard part is done already on your phone since the bootloader is already unlocked. There are some great threads in the Hacking/Dev section of the forum for more info.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Awesome. I'll check that out, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMime View Post
    From what I can tell by browsing the forum, there's more than one firmware to choose from? Which is the best one?

I feel really silly, but..now that I know I'm rooted, now what?
    PS: What does the locked bootloader do/mean exactly? Is it necessary to root?
    Cyanogenmod 6 is by and far the most popular. It builds on stock Froyo to add in a metric ton of options. Start by reading here:
    Nexus One - CyanogenMod Wiki

Kang-o-rama is another ROM that is kind of a themed CM6 with even more built in to the stock installation. Start here:
    [ROM] Kang-o-rama 1.0 FINAL | CM6 | OC-UV | Apps2Ext | 720p | Arabic Support - xda-developers

I am currently on this one (basically makes your phone like the HTC Desire):
    [ROM] eViL's NXSense v.1.15 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink [9/11/10] - xda-developers

Your baseband 5.08 (32.41.00.32H_5.08.00.04) is the "Korean Radio" and will work with the CM6 nightly ROMs. You might post your Firmware version so we know what you are currently working with.

Here is a quick link to a Root Only Apps discussion:
    [APPS] Must have Root only - xda-developers
    and another:
    Favorite Root Applications - Android Forums

As for the bootloader question, used to be that you had to unlock the bootloader to root the N1 and in doing so would void the hardware warranty.
    [Q] WHY can't the Nexus One bootloader be re-locked? - xda-developers

Wow. Thanks for the informative reply, nickshertzer. I think by Firmware you mean what version of Android? If so, I'm on 2.2 Froyo. My kernel version, if that's relevant, is 2.6.32.9-27237-gbe746fbandroid-build@apa26#1. Build number says FRG33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links