Touch Screen Alignment

This is a discussion on Touch Screen Alignment within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I had this phone for 3 weeks. I didn't notice the problem until around week 2. Now it seems to be getting worse (more often) ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Touch Screen Alignment

same problem with nexus 1 android keyboard

I had this phone for 3 weeks. I didn't notice the problem until around week 2. Now it seems to be getting worse (more often)
    The keyboard becomes totally unresponsive or acts erratically like if the touch screen was misaligned
    But sometimes the home button or back button on the frame also become totally unresponsive
    I had a HTC diamond touch before and never had a problem with the touch screen
    I am very disappointed with this and I hope they find a fix soon

Quote Originally Posted by Claude_f View Post
    I had this phone for 3 weeks. I didn't notice the problem until around week 2. Now it seems to be getting worse (more often)
    The keyboard becomes totally unresponsive or acts erratically like if the touch screen was misaligned
    But sometimes the home button or back button on the frame also become totally unresponsive
    I had a HTC diamond touch before and never had a problem with the touch screen
    I am very disappointed with this and I hope they find a fix soon
    Honestly, return it now if you can.

They're never going to fix it. Don't know if it's fixable, if it's shoddy hardware. People have been complaining for a year and I think it's a moot point.

I just put in a RMA to see if a "new" refurbished N1 won't have this issue.

Though I do find that some kernels alleviate this problem, sometimes.

I'm curious if just updating the HBOOT firmware, the "BIOS" of the unit, might help.

I guess I'll find out soon.

I have been researching about this touchscreen freeze issue while on charger for a while and I'm convinced it is a design defect. There was a 3000 post thread on the old nexus one support group that is shut down now. Someone in another forum suggested it was heat related. They experimented by putting the phone in the fridge and it started working again every time they said. I contacted HTC, got a replacement, and for the first couple of days I thought perhaps the replacement solved the problem, but it was during a very cold few days (below freezing). Shortly after the issue appeared just as with my original unit. Can happen both on car or home charger. But if you are living in a cold climate it may not be apparent to you. HTC is sending me a 3rd swap and their senior technician is looking into the problem. I spoke with a manager and she said they are not aware of such issues with the Nexus one. I think one reason is that there is a lot of red tape with these things and there are not many Nexus one owners so it is harder for them to notice. For example I had to take charge and tell the manager exactly what notes to write to the senior technician. Otherwise she would not have mentioned that the issue occurs when the screen is left on always on, like while on GPS, and also made sure she mentioned that it appears to be heat related. I even even allowed them to contact me if they can't replicate the issue. Otherwise the rep might simply write a short note like "touchscreen issue", technical does a quick check, finds no problem, and sends it out as a working unit. This is not only HTC but I have had similar issues with Sony as well, and that is why you should be very careful when dealing with refurbished units. I kept my original unit and sent the refurbished one back.

Thanks for reporting your experience. Yes, everything you've stated is definitely true, and it most likely is a design defect. A really sad, obvious design defect that slipped past HTC, maybe related to their use of a substandard touchscreen digitizer incapable of true multitouch. So each replacement sent out probably will have the problem to some extent, though I hear of people who after 3-4 replacements, finally get one without any issues.

I received my replacement a few weeks ago. I was not able to replicate the heat related problem (only had it for a week), but the camera had a definitive pink tinge on all pictures (the second most commonly reported defect), so I sent that one back. At the same time, my original N1 seemed to not experience any issues, so I dropped the RMA completely. Of course, a week later, after some heat and GPS use, the problem resurfaced. I started a new RMA this weekend.

Has HTC changed the design of the N1 as a result of these numerous complaints? Doubtful. They do make a SLCD version, but the touchscreen digitizer in these apparently is the same.

At least HTC customer support has been very responsive to having replacements shipped out and such.

I got my 2nd replacement and it seems to not freeze while on charger as much. The problem though is that the screen has a purple hue and seems dimmer than before. That may be the reason why it doesn't freeze as often. Not sure if I should keep it or send it back. It is refurbished after all and the purple hue is a draw back too.

My second replacement was definitely refurbished, the first actually looked clean and new enough that maybe it wasn't? The second actually had lint around the power button, more so than even my original (of course I take immaculate care of it though).

Again, the pink camera issue on the 2nd replacement, though it seemed less than the 1st replacement. So I sent it back again. I think I'm giving up. A little touchscreen issue every now and then, maybe once a week, is worth the apparently very rare pink-less camera I have on my original.

Sorry to hear that the screen is a bit off on your 2nd replacement abe. I guess it's always a crapshoot. The replacements we get were returned by the original purchaser for some reason... whether or not HTC spends the time to rectify and correct each one is debatable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links