Nexus One doesn't charge - bent USB pins? Advice needed!

This is a discussion on Nexus One doesn't charge - bent USB pins? Advice needed! within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; My phone doesn't charge because it seems some of the pins in the USB port got bent and no contact is being made with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One doesn't charge - bent USB pins? Advice needed!

Nexus One doesn't charge - bent USB pins? Advice needed!

My phone doesn't charge because it seems some of the pins in the USB port got bent and no contact is being made with the charger. It's been on and off for a while, but I was usually able to charge. Now, there is nothing, so my phone is dead.

I called a local repair shop and they think the USB port needs to be replaced, for which they charge $95.

HTC is offering either to exchange for a refurbished (not new) phone or to send it in for repair, which they say takes 2-3 weeks right now.

The rep said it would be going to Texas from NYC to repair, but I've read on some forums that theirs was sent to Denver...so I'm confused. On forums, the person also said the turnaround took 4-5 days with overnight shipping both ways.

The rep also mentioned that most USB problems are not covered by the warranty, which I find odd since it's not something I broke myself. The issue was there from the start and simply fianlly got to the point of not charging at all now. Does anyone know whether this repair would be covered by the warranty?

Any other advice?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Sorry - not sure about the warranty issue but at the cost/inconvenience of repairing it, I'd probably get the Google Desk Dock instead. It charges via the small gold contacts on the bottom of the phone, not the USB port.

Thanks. I'll look into that. The problem is that I travel quite a bit, so it may be inconvenient to bring that along. Also, I may want to connect the phone to the computer at some point...

I just talked to them again and they said that the repair costs $195 - that's to replace the USB port. And they said that it's not covered. I found a few places online that do it for $65, parts and labor included, and I'm sure I can find this price in NYC. The problem is that it will cancel the warranty, though it seems this warranty is pretty useless.

I complained about the fact that I always had issues with charging and had to wiggle it a lot to get it to charge. It seems that I would be able to argue that the phone came like this, but it may not result in anything or maybe a lower repair cost and still 2-3 weeks of lost time. Not sure that it's worth it to try. And if I reject repairs at that point, they charge $28 for shipping costs....

I'm annoyed considering it's a $529 device and I've only had it for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by smartcookie View Post
    Thanks. I'll look into that. The problem is that I travel quite a bit, so it may be inconvenient to bring that along. Also, I may want to connect the phone to the computer at some point...
    You can always use an app like WiFi File Explorer which connects to the computer via WiFi and is very fast at exchanging files. Also, the desktop dock is very small, and when not travelling, you can listen to your music through it whether the phone is docked or not.

Thanks guys. This is good to know and I may get one anyway.

I turned in my phone to a shop in Chinatown in NYC who said they'll replace the USB port for $65. We'll see how that goes. Should be picking it up tonight hopefully.

Ok going a little off topic here but I have been wanting a desktop dock so does anyone know a place where I can get one in Canada other than eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    Ok going a little off topic here but I have been wanting a desktop dock so does anyone know a place where I can get one in Canada other than eBay?
    Or in the USA?

Plasma Riffled from my N1 using tapatalk.

Here I found this but I don`t think they deliver to Canada http://shopamerica.htc.com/accessories.htm?prId=37438

I'm having the same issue. Can you let me know where you fixed this in Chinatown (I live in NYC too), and how did it go after it was fixed?

Nope they don't ship to Canada,boo HTC,the only info I got was Amazon.ca or eBay.doesn't make sense though why they wouldn't ship here,or anywhere outside the US,so the search continues

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links