Root access problems

This is a discussion on Root access problems within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey guys. I have a really strange problem with the root access to my N1. Originally I had root access and everything was fine, except ...

Thread: Root access problems

Root access problems

Hey guys.

I have a really strange problem with the root access to my N1.

Originally I had root access and everything was fine, except the fact that I wanted to upgrade from FRF50 to FRF91. However every ROM I tried to flash seemed to give my the "verification error" in recovery mode, and the OTA update had the same problem. So I decided to restore everything to original conditions using this guide:
    Restore your Nexus One to its Original Shipping Image | MacHackPC

This means that I now have the original recovery image (instead of the Amon_Ra image). Once the phone was back to factory settings I instantly got the OTA update and it installed perfectly, which mean that my phones status is now:
    Android: 2.2
    Build: FRF91
    Kernel: 2.6.32.9-27227-g3c98b0d abdroid-build@apa26 #1

Now what I wanted to do was restore my apps/settings from earlier which I had backed up using the program Titanium Backup. To get Titanium Backup working I need BusyBox, which I tried to install (remember all this worked before restoring and doing OTA update). I tried to use this guide to install BusyBox:
    Install BusyBox on Rooted Android Phone | Gadgets DNA

I am aware that the guide contains a couple of small faults (like linking to the src files instead of the binaries, however this is not a problem as I found them elsewhere).
    The problem occurs when I try to 'mkdir' via adb from my PC. I get a 'permission denied' response. This is odd, since my phone is rooted (and it does not complain when issuing 'su'). I don't know if removing the Amon_Ra image (or copying the other two IMGs that are in the first guide that I linked) unroots the phone, however the small "unlocked lock" is still there when I boot the phone, and furthermore I have used the program Universal Androot to root, just to be sure. The Superuser Permissions icon is in the program list, and both Titanium Backup and Terminal Emulator have been granted root access, so I am quite sure that I am rooted.

Trying to do a worked around, I used the Terminal Emulator to issue the mkdir (and the other commands in the second guide), this solves the problem up until the point where I have to run the bash script:
    ./busybox --install -s /system/xbin
    which also also returns a permission denied error. This leaves me unable to restore my backup, and in generel in a state of "not really rooted."

I have read that most of the custom ROMs already contain Busybox, but I would like to avoid them, since using a custom ROM has gotten me problems before and I would like to keep the officiel Android install. I might experience with the later on, but right now, I would just like my backed up data back on my phone.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thank you for reading (and perhaps answering)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Have you tried installing busybox from in TB by hitting the "problems?" button? I think it can be found in the market also.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Yes. I tried that. It just says "failed" and tells me to look at the webpage, which doesn't really help me

Maybe its because your on stock.

which custom rom did you have issues with? CM6 works great for me.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Yeh, it might be. I can't remember exactly which custom ROM I used to use (think it was Cyanogen Mod as well), however my problem was the reoccurring "Nexus 1 wants to install OTA update message" every time I turned on the phone. I read that to fix this, I needed to update from FRF50, which I did... But maybe I should just give CM6 a try... This Android stuff is currently talking so much of my time...

Here are really good detailed instructions on gaining root and installing busybox on stock Froyo with locked bootloader (not using that OneClick method):

[Tutorial] Root Without Unlocking (Alternative way for all ROMs Vodafone,Korean,US) - xda-developers

Notice this code in particular:

./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    busybox cp Superuser.apk /system/app
    busybox cp su /system/bin
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    rm /system/bin/rootshell
    exit
    exit

Also, might I suggest installing eViL's NXSense ROM? Link in sig.

Thank you, SliceBurgSlim and nickshertzer.

I am now running CM (it had to happen)
    And everything seems to be running fine (except the 150 elements lost in Alchemy (o well, just an excuse to start over)).

Dunno about the eViL's NXSense ROM, however now that I am all into the 'installing things on my phone all the time' sort of thinking, I might chack it out

Thanx again

No problem. Happy to help
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links