ALL apps don't work! Device as good as bricked..

This is a discussion on ALL apps don't work! Device as good as bricked.. within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I hope someone can help me find a simple solution to this - I was jogging (while holding the phone so it wasn't getting bounced ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALL apps don't work! Device as good as bricked..

ALL apps don't work! Device as good as bricked..

I hope someone can help me find a simple solution to this - I was jogging (while holding the phone so it wasn't getting bounced around) and had two apps running: A Cardiotrainer app that tracked my GPS location and the music app, playing audio from the SD card. I have been using both programs simultaneously for weeks without any issues.

Suddenly the music stops and I look at my phone and it has turned itself off. The battery was low, but still green. I turned it back on and I got the "welcome" messages to set up my Google accounts and introduction to the phone! I skipped through it all and my home screen is now completely empty.

Clicking the middle icon I can access all the previously installed apps, but if I run ANY of them, it says "The application [name] (process.....) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" Even for simple apps like Notes. I tried rebooting the phone, and on the main screen I get several similar error messages for the apps that would have run automatically.

I called myself and the phone is working fine. So this is no longer a smart phone, it's a dumb phone.

What can I do? Is there a scan I can run? Should I wipe it and do a complete system restart? If so can I still backup and restore my previous data? How do I know this won't happen again? Any help truly appreciated!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

That's a strange one. Its there a possibility your battery over heated, running GPS and music etc?

Sounds like certain files in your system partition are corrupted. If it were my phone I would do a factory restore ( which does wipe all data).

Have you tried downloading any more apps from the market to see if they work?

As regards backup, I'm sure there are some backup apps out there for non- rooted phones. Providing you can still run new apps, try backing your data up, but it might be lost permanently. I'm rooted and have titanium backup which backs up all your apps plus data. Also I have the ability to perform a nandroid backup, which essentially takes a ghost image of your phone, system partition, cache, recovery etc, which you can restore at any time.i don't think at the moment there is an option for non rooted phones to do this (aseems, correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Quote Originally Posted by Floogle View Post
    That's a strange one. Its there a possibility your battery over heated, running GPS and music etc?

Sounds like certain files in your system partition are corrupted. If it were my phone I would do a factory restore ( which does wipe all data).

Have you tried downloading any more apps from the market to see if they work?

As regards backup, I'm sure there are some backup apps out there for non- rooted phones. Providing you can still run new apps, try backing your data up, but it might be lost permanently. I'm rooted and have titanium backup which backs up all your apps plus data. Also I have the ability to perform a nandroid backup, which essentially takes a ghost image of your phone, system partition, cache, recovery etc, which you can restore at any time.i don't think at the moment there is an option for non rooted phones to do this (aseems, correct me if I'm wrong on that).
    Strange - I tried downloading a new app and it worked fine, then I tried uninstalled currently installed apps and reinstalling them, and they work fine! Any currently installed ones still crash though, and by uninstalling them I lose the data they previously had (in Astro tasks for example).

Should I just start over and do a factory restore? Seems like even if I reinstalled everything, there would still be some remnants of whatever is causing this problem on the system.

My phone isn't rooted, but of course since I can install new apps I can do a backup that way. Any recommendations? Would that backup carry over this strange error, or is that unlikely?

Thanks for your help. At least I have a couple of apps running now. Better to have a crippled phone just temporarily. Further tips appreciated

You could try wiping the cache partition on your phone, I've heard this sorts out some problems.

Boot into recovery mode by pressing power on while holding down the trackball. From there select BOOTLOADER, then RECOVERY. There should be an option for wiping your cache partition. Don't worry, it won't harm your phone to do this.

If you do decide to factory reset, it wipes the cache partition anyway.

Just a thought, are these apps that fail on your sd card or on your phone? If they are on your sd card, the sd card might have been dislodged from its mount when you were running.

Hope you get the ' smart' back in your phone! best of luck.

Make sure your phone is up to date with it's backups to the Google server and hard reset the phone, when you sign in after the reset it will restore all your apps. You could download titanium backup and backup your settings first.

Engraved using pure Root
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

@Floogle I followed your instructions, but after selecting RECOVERY, I just see the Android with an exclamation mark in a triangle. It's been like that for ten minutes and no buttons change anything. I can't see a way out of this other than removing the battery.
    Why isn't this working to clear the cache?
    @Nobby Thanks, I'll try a hard reset and see if that helps...

EDIT: I had to press a few buttons randomly to get any reaction from it, but managed to clear the cache. Still have the same problem. How do I do backup to the Google server, and how should I do a hard reset?

Most of my data associated with my Google account, but not sure how this associates with non-Google apps.

irishpolyglot,
    Sorry about your situation. Factory reset is under Settings, Privacy, Factory Data Reset.
    Google automatically backs up some apps (but not data). Apps downloaded from the market should reinstall "magically" after going through the initial setup wizard and entering your gMail information.

This thread should be the poster child for why you should root a phone if only to install Titanium Backup and / or custom recovery to nAndroid backup!

See here:
    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...tructions.html

Damnit, I hate being the "bad example" :P

Factory reset worked!! All my apps are back and working :D

But yes, I will definitely look into rooting it to protect me from having to do this again, especially since the cause is unknown. Thanks for the link!

This has happened to me 3 times already.

unrooted FRF91

I'm using LauncherPro.

All 3 time it has happened this way - my phone died b/c of battery. I then turn it on with it charging and the Nexus Icon Splash screen takes a long time to go to my home screen. When I get there I get the ANDROID guy saying "touch here to setup accounts"

I did and my home was the old Launcher. None of the apps work and just force close.

The last time i made the mistake of putting launcherpro as my default after this happened and it was in a force close loop. I had to reboot in safe mode and uninstall it.

I've uninstalled LauncherPro and i'm using the normal launcher app. I've also uninstalled everything and installed them again. It's been working fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links