Modifying Phone to Change Carrier

This is a discussion on Modifying Phone to Change Carrier within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I am thinking about buying another Nexus One for my kid. My plan is AT&T, but all the N1s I have seen so far have ...

Thread: Modifying Phone to Change Carrier

Modifying Phone to Change Carrier

I am thinking about buying another Nexus One for my kid. My plan is AT&T, but all the N1s I have seen so far have been set up for T-Mobile. Can the device be easily modified to change the carrier to AT&T, or am I better off waiting until an AT&T device comes along?

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

When Google was selling them, there was an AT&T Version and a T-Mobile version. You need to buy the one for your carrier. Now that they are only sold as developer phones, I'm not sure which is being sold. If you are buying a used one, you should look for AT&T version to match your AT&T carrier, or you will not be able to get 3G service, as the internal radios are different.

Also of note, the phone is sold carrier unlocked, so it will work on any GSM network. The 3G data is the only part that is specific to a carrier (T-Mobile or AT&T) as they use different frequencies for their 3G networks.

And where is it that you are planning on buying a Nexus One? eBay?

Yes, I have been looking on E Bay. There appear to be at least a few of the AT&T version. I was somewhat surprised to see that the better condition ones are going for as much or more than I paid for mine directly from Google. Maybe not surprising, though. I love mine, and wish I had bought more when I had the chance. I'll pay what it takes to get one.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links