Internal storage 220MB???

This is a discussion on Internal storage 220MB??? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by mola Originally Posted by lionsson There is a guide how to force apps to the SDcard without rooting link. This is what ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internal storage 220MB???

Quote Originally Posted by mola View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    There is a guide how to force apps to the SDcard without rooting link.

This is what I did to save apps like Adobe Flash Player 10.1 to the SDcard. Just remember if you want to use the widget from an app don't install it on the SDcard, but if you don't need the widget install it to the SDcard. And apps that are high priority like security apps, basically apps that run at boot try then out on the SDcard see if they work properly, most likely they will.
    The guide only changes the default app location if the app supports it. If you are able to get flash to the SD without root/custom rom, I would be very interested. I followed the guide and reinstalled flash and it is not on the SD. It also states my experience in the comments of the guide.
    I`m pretty sure that if the app doesn`t support it other than rooting there is no way to make it work on the sd so either you root or you just let your app run on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mola View Post
    There is a guide how to force apps to the SDcard without rooting link.

This is what I did to save apps like Adobe Flash Player 10.1 to the SDcard. Just remember if you want to use the widget from an app don't install it on the SDcard, but if you don't need the widget install it to the SDcard. And apps that are high priority like security apps, basically apps that run at boot try then out on the SDcard see if they work properly, most likely they will.
    The guide only changes the default app location if the app supports it. If you are able to get flash to the SD without root/custom rom, I would be very interested. I followed the guide and reinstalled flash and it is not on the SD. It also states my experience in the comments of the guide.
    First let me note this works with the Nexus One and I believe it's because this phone is a developer phone

Once you follow the guide you can go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, and select whichever app, normally if the developer doesn't support App 2 SDcard this option is gray out, but after the guide this option is available even if the developer doesn't support App 2 SDcard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    I`m pretty sure that if the app doesn`t support it other than rooting there is no way to make it work on the sd so either you root or you just let your app run on the phone.
    Trust me this is possible without rooting I have done this for months and months.

The only apps not available to move to the SDcard are Google's stock apps, and apps that a developer strictly forbids apps 2 SDcard in the Manifest.xml file. So far I have only found two apps from over 100's that I have downloaded that actually strictly forbids apps 2 SDcard one of them is LauncherPro by Federico, but I wouldn't recommend to move a launcher app 2 SDcard, and Federico knows this that's why he went to the extra trouble to disable this Even if a person tries to force it to the SDcard.

It DOES work

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    Trust me this is possible without rooting I have done this for months and months.

The only apps not available to move to the SDcard are Google's stock apps, and apps that a developer strictly forbids apps 2 SDcard in the Manifest.xml file. So far I have only found two apps from over 100's that I have downloaded that actually strictly forbids apps 2 SDcard one of them is LauncherPro by Federico, but I wouldn't recommend to move a launcher app 2 SDcard, and Federico knows this that's why he went to the extra trouble to disable this Even if a person tries to force it to the SDcard.
    I stand corrected, after running through the guide and reinstalling flash, it does appear to be on the SD card when I look under manage applications. Google Reader also got moved over after a reinstall. When you look at it using the application apps2sd, it still shows on internal but I have more space on my phone so I tend to believe what Android is telling me over the app. I have been battling internal storage on my N1 for a long time having to prioritize my internally stored apps. Thanks all for the info!

The application app2sd actually reads which apps are enabled to move to the SDcard by the developer, and it's not coded to read what apps are forced into the SDcard. I'm glad this help you as I too was struggled with this issue.

It's not necessary to reinstalled apps to accomplish a move just to to Settings, Manage Applications, and select whichever app, and select move to SDcard.

Note it's very important to install keyboard, live wallpaper, widget, and launchers on the phone, since the Android OS boots first then the SDcard this type of apps need to boot with the OS. If you move this apps to the SDcard they will not load with the OS ending with the default live wallpaper, keyboard, and launcher. If you have a app that has a widget and you move it to the SDcard the widget will disappear until you reinstall, but if you are planning never to use the widget then the app should work fine in the SDcard.

If you download and install a keyboard, live wallpaper, widget, or launcher go into the Setting and move then to the phone before using them, from now on all apps will automatically installed on the SDcard and you will have to manually move this types of apps to the phone.

The application app2sd actually reads which apps are enabled to move to the SDcard by the developer, and it's not coded to read what apps are forced into the SDcard. I'm glad this help you as I too was struggled with this issue.

It's not necessary to reinstalled apps to accomplish a move just to to Settings, Manage Applications, and select whichever app, and select move to SDcard.

Note it's very important to install keyboard, live wallpaper, widget, and launchers on the phone, since the Android OS boots first then the SDcard this type of apps need to boot with the OS. If you move this apps to the SDcard they will not load with the OS ending with the default live wallpaper, keyboard, and launcher. If you have a app that has a widget and you move it to the SDcard the widget will disappear until you reinstall, but if you are planning never to use the widget then the app should work fine in the SDcard.

If you download and install a keyboard, live wallpaper, widget, or launcher go into the Setting and move then to the phone before using them, from now on all apps will automatically installed on the SDcard and you will have to manually move this types of apps to the phone.
    I did end up moving Swype to the SD card and it works ok but I havent tried a reboot. Since it is easy enough to change it to swype and I dont reboot often, I can live with it resetting the keyboard during a reboot for the 11MB swype gets me. Unless there is something I am missing.

I assume that when you connect USB cable to use SD as storage drive, you will also lose keyboard,live wallpaper, launcher and widgets as well?

I have also found that moving widgets to the phone resulted in the widget not available to place on the screen. The widget in question is extended controls. When I install it, it gets put onto the SD card by default and I can put it on the home screen. If I move the app to phone in the manage app screen, the widget is no longer available to place on the home screen. I will need to understand this a bit more and test different scenarios but I definitely don't want to keep changing the default depending on the type of app I install.

You hit every nail on the head, and the best way to see what works for you is to experiment. So good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links