Nexus One won't work in the UK

This is a discussion on Nexus One won't work in the UK within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hello I have an unusual problem with my nexus one. I bought it august last year from what I believed was a trusted retailer. It ...

Thread: Nexus One won't work in the UK

Nexus One won't work in the UK

Hello

I have an unusual problem with my nexus one. I bought it august last year from what I believed was a trusted retailer. It has been shipped from UK to my home in Poland and it worked flawlessly for the upcoming months.

Yet, when I moved to the UK the phone stopped connecting to any of the network providers. I know that this is not a roaming issue as I had no problems calling from Germany, France or Belgium. I thought that during the trip the phone might have been damaged and send it to Poland to have it fixed. When my parents received the phone it once again connected to all networks. I called the seller and he assured me that it must have been a software error.

When I got back to Poland for holidays I once again started using my nexus one and it worked perfectly. Today I took a plane back to the UK only to see that my phone will not connect to any of the networks.

I have a full 4 bar signal, yet I can make only emergency calls. I tried to manually choose a network but it says either that "Cannot connect to this network at this time. Try again later." or "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network". I am puzzled because this happens both with O2 SIM card (I cannot connect to O2 network) and Polish PLUS SIM card(With Roaming ON).

I reseted my phone to factory defaults thinking it was a software/application issue but it did not change anything. I did not use any custom roms or any unauthorized applications.

I have
    Android version: 2.2.1
    Baseband version 32.50.00.32U_5.12.00.08
    Kernel version 2.6.32.9-g6624e39 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
    Build number: FRG83D

In Status it says that my phone is connected to
    network: Unknown
    Mobile network type: Unknown
    Service state: Out of service

No applications whatsoever - factory data reset.

Is it possible that the phone was somehow blacklisted by UK carriers? If yes, does anyone of you have any idea how can I check that? Any hints? Solutions? Someone with similar problems? I love my phone and I don't want to lose it yet again.

Phake

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If you are currently in the uk, I would suggest popping into an O2 store, and asking them to reset the sim card's settings for you. I had a similar problem with vodafone. If the problem persists, maybe you could switch network providers? The guys at the store should be able to restore the sim card to pick up signal again.

In any case, I would take heart that it's almost definitely a sim card issue, and not a hardware issue.

I would just get the sim replaced all together that way you know the sim works because changing the settings and everything if the sim is damaged it will not do much good.

Mind that it happens on two different SIM cards.

I will certainly go to the O2 store and ask them for a replacement. If that doesn't help, they also might have an idea of what is happening.

I am also going to try a vodafone SIM card as I heard that it is the only network currently selling n1 in the UK. The handset is unlocked so there should be no connection, but who knows?

Phake

When I took my nexus to the uk, I was having connection problems with an Orange sim. I called Orange, and they changed some settings on their end, and everything was fixed...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

If you want to check if a phone has been reported stolen in the UK you can here CheckMEND - The Global Second-Hand Stolen Goods Database for Public & Trade Checking

There is a small charge

I'll update the topic after my exams are over, Sadly I don't have time to fix the problem before that happens. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Phake

EDIT

I went to a O2 store today and talked to a really helpful person. We checked and as predicted the phone is blocked from all UK networks. The IMEI number is banned. The ban can only be lifted by the person who demanded it. The guy couldn't tell me the reason for the ban but the most probable cause is either because phone was stolen or lost.

A lesson to be learned from this? Even if you receive an original, sealed box it doesn't mean that you didn't buy a stolen phone. I will not use ebay again for those kind of purchases.

Thanks for your help,
    Phake

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links